ESTES Pro Series Parts Assortment.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 2 kits delivered today, and wanted to make a couple of notes. I have contact Estes Customer Service for feedback, but did not receive a response yet. (I will post update when I do. ) Both Kits were exactly the same, so am assuming it's a "right hand" not talking to "left hand" sort of thing.

1) The kit Contents do appear to exactly match the PHOTO of parts.
ProSeries_PartsAssortment_9987.png

2) The kit DOES NOT match the Parts List, in the Website Description, or the package label. (Label also, shown on website as image.)
PSII_Parts_Assortment_009987.JPG

1st, Missing items:
Kit has (0) BT-70 Coupler tubes. The parts lists says there should be (2)
Kit has (1) 29mm-8" Motor mount tube. The parts list says there should be (2)

2nd, Extra items:
Kit has (2) 14" long orange tubes, that are just a little smaller than the 24mm Motor mount tube.
What are they, and what are they for?

Kit has (4) .735" OD bulk heads.
What are they, and what are they for?
PSII_Parts_Assortment_Photo-1.jpgPSII_Parts_Assortment_Photo-2.jpg

I will try to get measurements of the 2 nylon parachutes tomorrow, and get photo of the Rail Guides (next to a rail & body tubes).

Is there anything anybody else want me to document about the kit? Once I tape them back up, they will be set aside for Christmas Presents, and not available for inspection until after the Holidays.

So here are some photos and data:

The BT-80 nosecone is 4" exposed length, shoulder is 1-1/2" with "normal" end and loop. Weight 32.7 grams.
20231205_111112.jpg

The BT-70 nosecone 4-1/4" exposed length, the shoulder is 1-1/4" to the "score line", then another 1/4 to the taper and loop. (Which seem to be a little heavier duty, maybe.) Weight 30.6 grams.
20231205_111159.jpg20231205_111207.jpg

Transition is 1-3/4" exposed length, BOTH shoulders are 1-5/8" to the "score line", then another 1/4 to 5/16 to the taper and loop. Weight 30.0 grams.
20231205_111309.jpg

The big parachute is 20" from tip-to-tip.
20231205_112154.jpg

The small one is 16" from tip-to-tip.
20231205_112402.jpg

The BT-80 tubes are 23.5" long

The BT-70 tubes are 24.0" long

The orange rubes DO insert into the 24mm motor tubes. ... and I guess could be used as "stuffer tubes"...?
20231204_123223.jpg

The rail guides are all the same. (NOT different radius to the tubes. Kind of average between the BT-70 & BT-80. one end is angled. And the are a molded part. (Not 3D printed)
20231205_111910.jpg

Amazing pictures and information, thank you.

Quick question: were the parachutes individually packaged/bagged?

Quick comments: given the score line on that BT-70 nose cone, it looks like it might also be designed to serve as a boattail, too. I would also imagine that BT-80 nose cone is the same one used for the Super Big Bertha.

Quick question: were the parachutes individually packaged/bagged?
YES and NO. YES each was in an individual bag. Then those were in a bigger bag, with the (2) shockcord, (4) motor retainers, and (1) 29-24 motor adapter.

Quick comments: given the score line on that BT-70 nose cone, it looks like it might also be designed to serve as a boattail, too. I would also imagine that BT-80 nose cone is the same one used for the Super Big Bertha.
I think the score lines are for removing the end if the BT-70 nosecone, and the ends if the transition. I think the plywood bulkheads in the kit; would then fit if you wanted to make a "payload" section, or seal it off, etc. ( a boattail could fall into the possibilities. )

The BT-80 nosecone DOES "look like" the Super Big Bertha, but I don't have mine here to compare today.

I still can't think of a use for the (4) small plywood bulkheads... and am not sure on the long Orange tubes.

I'm open to ideas, for when the kids and I start "creative building" in a few weeks.

I still can't think of a use for the (4) small plywood bulkheads... and am not sure on the long Orange tubes.

I'm open to ideas, for when the kids and I start "creative building" in a few weeks.
One use for them is 24mm engine spacers so you can use 70mm and 95mm long 24mm engines in the same MMT. But then again, why didn't Estes just include several of the already-cut spacers (which they do in some of their kits)? So yeah, still a mystery here...

Few more notes... the rail guides are definitely (I THINK) multipurpose. If you just stick them on fine.... but

1) If you use the BT-80 as a payload bay at the top of your rocket, they are the perfect height to have the guides on the BT-70 lower section, and the rail just clear the BT-80.
20231205_142048.jpg

2) If you trim (cut off) just above the 1st level, you are left with a lower profile guide.
You could do this to both guides and reduce drag, or only do it to 1 of the 2 and have the short guide on the BT-80 AND a tall guide on the BT-70...
20231205_142536.jpg

Those orange tubes are definitely uncut 24mm motor spacer tubes - rather an odd thing to include but useful (to a point) I suppose. I am very disappointed there’s no BT-70 couplers - unless they’re tucked inside a tube and I just missed them. I already have BT-70 couplers on hand but if they’re listed as part of the item they should be in the box - I’ll be emailing Estes customer service about it. The box is pretty nice, reminds me of the old cardboard range box Estes used to stock.

I think we need to read the 2024 TARC rules for the rocket used in the competition to get more clues about this "Assortment" I recall hearing that it did need a small to large transition? And that would be why the dual launch guides are in the kit.

Those orange tubes are definitely uncut 24mm motor spacer tubes - rather an odd thing to include but useful (to a point) I suppose. I am very disappointed there’s no BT-70 couplers - unless they’re tucked inside a tube and I just missed them. I already have BT-70 couplers on hand but if they’re listed as part of the item they should be in the box - I’ll be emailing Estes customer service about it. The box is pretty nice, reminds me of the old cardboard range box Estes used to stock.
Heard back from Estes Customer Service... not much info. But they created and order and are shipping me "misc. items". I'll let you know what shows up.

Here is the Quote, right from the message....

"Thank You for contacting Estes!

Order xxxxxx was created to send you the missing items.

The orange tube were packed in error.
The .735" bulkheads should fit in tubes or couplers.

Let us know if you have any questions."

I wonder if the Orange tubes, and BT-70 couplers are a digit off from each other. The orange tubes are in their photo, because that's whats in their packing list... when it should be the couplers.
The photographer didn't know, and the packers are just going by paperwork, so no-one realized the mix up.

I wonder if the Orange tubes, and BT-70 couplers are a digit off from each other. The orange tubes are in their photo, because that's whats in their packing list... when it should be the couplers.
The photographer didn't know, and the packers are just going by paperwork, so no-one realized the mix up.
That’s a very reasonable assumption! I’m somewhat sympathetic to a mistake like that. Way back when I was a new supply troop one of the avionics techs called in an order for a part - we (both Supply and Maintenance) used a locally produced booklet called a hotlist and he ordered hotlist number XY. I got out my copy looked it up, checked the system, saw we had one in stock and told him we’d have it to the shop shortly. Well, I was one number off - I processed an issue for a number XZ, which was a Lockheed C130B nose radome, not the part he needed - one of the small enough that one person could easily carry it belly radomes. Imagine my embarrassment when, after Transportation delivered the crated part (I was so green I didn’t even have my warehouse forklift certification - much less for the 10K forklift it took to move that crated nose radome!) and the shop called my boss and asked what in the world was going on! It all got straightened out (by me, my boss was a great believer in you broke it, you fix and you can look up how, too…) but that maintenance tech never let me forget it - I think he called me years later, on the day he retired, and asked if we had any belly radomes in stock.

As a follow-up from my email to Customer Service with the info and photos from Post #33 above:

Here was the response:

"Thank You for contacting Estes!

Order ------- was created to send you the missing items.

The orange tube were packed in error.
The .735" bulkheads should fit in tubes or couplers."

The order arrived today for:
Item " MISC"
Description: MISC 9987 PART
Qty: 2

What is in each box is (2) BT-70 couplers, and an 8" 29mm MMT.

SO...If any of you order this kit, or are working with TARC Teams who do. AND you get kits with the Orange tubes, and no BT-70 couplers and only (1) 29mm MMT: Feel free to use my marked up photos to request the missing parts. [ My assumption is all the kits were made this way, since it's what is shown in the photo. Maybe they fixed the kits now, .... ]

20231221_133134.jpg

Just noticed this sticker on the outside of the boxes. But, the 31359 & 31360 must be "internal part numbers", they don't come up when I looked on the website for them.
20231221_140529.jpg

Has Estes fixed the missing 3 items problem on the latest orders that are going out ?
I’m in the UK so sent one of these to my friends in Virginia, who then send on to me in the UK. (As Estes seem to be the only company that don’t ship to the UK)

And then my friends get a separate parcel with guess what the three missing items a week after they’ve sent the main box to me.!!

I want another one of these parts assortments kits but I don’t want to send it to them until I know the kits are coming complete before they send to me 🤷

UPDATE: Estes has updated the photos on their website of this kit. I would "ASSUME" that means they have corrected the contents of the kit and the BOM now matches.

1a) The Long Orange tubes are no longer shown.
1b) It does show (2) BT-70 couplers that were missing from the photo.

2) It does now shows (2) 29mm motor mount tubes where before it had (1).

3) Also, it makes it a "little more clear" that the (4) 3/4" diameter plywood bulkheads are "part of" the BT-70 / BT-80 plywood bulkheads [ If the eyebolts are installed into the BT-70 / BT-80 Bulkheads, the 3/4" parts are "Support/Backup" so the eyebolt has more thread engagement. They still don't give you that bit of information though. ]

If anyone orders one of these kits. Please post a note to this thread, if in fact the BOM now matches the kit components. THANK YOU.

UPDATE: Estes has updated the photos on their website of this kit. I would "ASSUME" that means they have corrected the contents of the kit and the BOM now matches.

3) Also, it makes it a "little more clear" that the (4) 3/4" diameter plywood bulkheads are "part of" the BT-70 / BT-80 plywood bulkheads [ If the eyebolts are installed into the BT-70 / BT-80 Bulkheads, the 3/4" parts are "Support/Backup" so the eyebolt has more thread engagement. They still don't give you that bit of information though. ]

If anyone orders one of these kits. Please post a note to this thread, if in fact the BOM now matches the kit components. THANK YOU.
We're out of the house right now but I'll be able to look through the box later and check - I received my -70 couplers the other day so it should match up.

I got an email today about the Parts Kit. I clicked the link and the girls shown are holding a tube that the nose cone is not included in the kit 😲

1705020142551.png

I got that one, too.

Yeah, that's clearly a different parts set there — probably the Designer's Special.

The folks they have doing the online stuff are clearly not versed in the details well enough. I've corrected them a few times....sometimes they actually fix stuff, sometimes they don't. I expect they're tired of hearing from me.

2 inches shorter than the Rocketarium cone, but less than half the weight.
To me the Rocketarium cone is better looking - a bit more elegant. The new Estes cone is sort of a bigger, slightly more pointy version of the original Ranger/Bertha cone.

Not a great picture and excuse my messy work bench

Attachments

• IMG_20240115_120001.jpg
    IMG_20240115_120001.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
To me the Rocketarium cone is better looking - a bit more elegant. The new Estes cone is sort of a bigger, slightly more pointy version of the original Ranger/Bertha cone.

Not a great picture and excuse my messy work bench
Interesting, thanks for the photo. That looks very similar to the NC-80b. The low-res photos in the product ad made it look more like a cone with a blunted tip, similar to the Titan II cone.

Agreed, the Rocketarium cone is a lot more elegant. Reminds me of the NC-80k.

Back