Estes Greyhawk Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, for some reason I have fallen in love with the idea of building an upscale version of the Estes Greyhawk (#2068). I know, I know, I am quite new to this, but... Anyways, I downloaded a trial version of RockSim and I am watching the videos, but then I started looking for a RockSim file for ANY version of the Greyhawk -- and I am not finding it. Lot's of big brains here -- anyone want to share their thoughts on this effort? Like where I might find a RockSim file for this model? How easy it is to upload the parts list for the base version into RockSim, etc.? I have plans from JimZ (I think) and a parts list, but I am not sure how to translate into a RockSim file. Help!

I wish I could help with the SIM file but I'm not that good with RockSim or Open Rocket. I couldn't figure out how to do the outer tubes in a way that didn't upset the flight simulation.

I have all of the dimensions for the fins, tubes etc so I could share those and it would be fairly easy to use an only calculator to figure out the upscale based on the tubes you want to use.

I wish I could help with the SIM file but I'm not that good with RockSim or Open Rocket. I couldn't figure out how to do the outer tubes in a way that didn't upset the flight simulation.

I have all of the dimensions for the fins, tubes etc so I could share those and it would be fairly easy to use an only calculator to figure out the upscale based on the tubes you want to use.

Well that woul be perfect if you don't mind sharing! Wow, that is fantastic. Woot woot. Share away!

In OR, the outer tubes (if left open) would best be done as tube fins so their aerodynamics are modeled properly. Then you'd also need a pair of pods with phantom tubes on which to mount the various fins that attach to them. A bit messy until OR supports fins directly attached to fins (or tube fins).

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway) you'd need to be using the OR 22.02 beta to do this.

Back