Estes E-Engine Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
Are these worth anything?

It's blue.

I'll post a pic if needed.
The reason I ask is that I need the wire for another project and if it isn't worth anything out come the snippers.

Bones

This isn't an answer to your question, but what launch pad do you have that you use with your E-Engine launch controller? I have the Astron II, and I eventually I'm going to buy either a Porta-Pad II or the Porta-Pad E.

Oh, ok. Yeah, I'm going to have to get me one of those plus one of the pads and a rod that supports the E-Engine rockets. By the way, the E Launch Controller goes for $27.49 new. So...

Adam or anyone else.

PM me if you're interested the one above with a Electron Beam controller (yellow) thrown in for free.
Heck I'll even throw in a porta pad sans launch rod.

Bones

Oh, ok. Yeah, I'm going to have to get me one of those plus one of the pads and a rod that supports the E-Engine rockets. By the way, the E Launch Controller goes for $27.49 new. So...

Adam or anyone else.

PM me if you're interested the one above with a Electron Beam controller (yellow) thrown in for free.
Heck I'll even throw in a porta pad sans launch rod.

Bones

Adam, you should see if Bones can send this controller to you. That would be perfect for any of your rockets, A engines up to E engines.

Then look at getting a pad like this Porta Pad E for 20 bucks: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est2238.htm

I'd also look at getting a one-piece steel 3/16" rod of 4 or 5 feet or a 1/4" rod of 5 or 6 feet.

Adam, you should see if Bones can send this controller to you. That would be perfect for any of your rockets, A engines up to E engines.

Then look at getting a pad like this Porta Pad E for 20 bucks: https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est2238.htm

I'd also look at getting a one-piece steel 3/16" rod of 4 or 5 feet or a 1/4" rod of 5 or 6 feet.
Yeah, I thought this sounded like a good deal. Currently, I can't reply to his reply to my PM. Something is wrong with the Forum. I'll try to get it fixed. Also, do you know what the difference between the Porta Pad II and the Porta Pad E is?

Yep. It has two slots and can hold a 3/16" rod or a 1/4" rod. The Porta Pad II holds 1/8" and 3/16". The E pad also has a larger blast deflector, and the legs extend a bit wider for stability. Honestly, the E pad is not as rock-solid stable as I thought it would be when I got it, but for the price it is OK. I think it's fine for launching most E powered rockets.

Yep. It has two slots and can hold a 3/16" rod or a 1/4" rod. The Porta Pad II holds 1/8" and 3/16". The E pad also has a larger blast deflector, and the legs extend a bit wider for stability. Honestly, the E pad is not as rock-solid stable as I thought it would be when I got it, but for the price it is OK. I think it's fine for launching most E powered rockets.

i suspect that the E-pad will be replaced or discontinued soon. Not sure if a new pad will appear or if you will simply use the Pro Series pad. E controller may also go and be replaced by the new controller (now overdue.....). We will wait and see. 2014 Catalog is at the printer, so we should see it before the end of January. Possibly the PDF will appear online first.

Adam, I also forgot to add, the purpose of the E Controller is to get a safe distance away from E-sized motors. Your existing controller will also work, but you want to be 30 feet away from E motors in case they explode. If you are sticking with A - D motors, your existing controller is probably OK. If you are looking at larger motors in the future, then you'll want the E controller or something like it with at least 30-foot wires.

i suspect that the E-pad will be replaced or discontinued soon. Not sure if a new pad will appear or if you will simply use the Pro Series pad. E controller may also go and be replaced by the new controller (now overdue.....). We will wait and see. 2014 Catalog is at the printer, so we should see it before the end of January. Possibly the PDF will appear online first.

The E-pad and E-controller have worked fine for me for launching A - D motors in the local park, and most E motors too. As you and I discussed in earlier threads, it was when I started to launch heavier rockets on E motors, that the pad was not always adequate. Mostly it was fine, but I did have some errant launches, and we discussed I should upgrade to a 1/4" steel rod, 6' long. The E-pad is not adequately stiff or stable to hold that kind of rod.

Since then I bought the PVC to make a more stable launch pad, and then I got a Jawstand for Christmas. I've got a few things I need to do to finish these and try them out.

Back