Estes big daddy 29mm build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam3836

Reaction score
Ok my turn to give a try at a big daddy build here’s the specs followed by some pictures

parts that I upgraded are the flowing

Vander-Burn 29mm MMT
Plywood fins and centering rings 1/8inch thick
Retainer
24 nylon apogee chute
1/2 inch nylon tubular webbing for shock cord
1010 rail buttons
Cut my own bulk head for nose cone

F04DCB41-B87E-4089-8BAD-1842BF646F2E.jpeg

Last edited:
cut the nose cone angle off so I can have more room for the NC to fit with out hitting the forward centering ring eyebolt plus more room for the chute and shock cord/nomex cloth ….and I cut my own bulk head for the nose cone it fit nicely in the aft end shoulder lip of the NC added hardware to it…. did not permanently adhere the bulk Head in yet. Still need to add Nose cone weight
245FCB2C-AD51-4300-BE12-C4B599561626.jpeg

Last edited:
Epoxied in the MMT and centering rings
Did not epoxy the aft ring yet because internal fillets are next
4DE01860-21B9-4A0A-96D7-B079B4B22AC0.jpeg7CF9A521-0DE2-4205-8C98-64CAFCECFB7D.jpeg

Still have to figure out my new CG location and add nose cone weight then epoxy down the NC bulk head plate and attach shock cord and chute/chute protector.. but I got some primer and paint done on the body and fins
No paint on the NC yet still have to drill the NC to add dowels for the NC weight
75EF3916-B4F7-49E2-BF5F-79A060AE4005.jpeg2A4AF391-A14D-4953-A490-9F91A77EA768.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s crazy how cramped it gets when you bump it up to a 29mm MMT lol but some little tricks help add room in there. But should have some
Cool motors to pick from

It’s crazy how cramped it gets when you bump it up to a 29mm MMT lol but some little tricks help add room in there. But should have some
Cool motors to pick from

Do a 38mm MMT and you'll REALLY feel it!!

I am just finishing a 29mm and 39mm Big Daddy and yeah, it gets a bit goofy when you stick a 38/240 case in that rocket 😄

Absolutely lol
That was the interesting/fun part lol

I am just finishing a 29mm and 39mm Big Daddy and yeah, it gets a bit goofy when you stick a 38/240 case in that rocket 😄

The 38mm MM Big Daddy's nose cone can be substituted for a boat anchor. How much weight did you add?

cut the nose cone angle off so I can have more room for the NC to fit with out hitting the forward centering ring eyebolt plus more room for the chute and shock cord/nomex cloth ….and I cut my own bulk head for the nose cone it fit nicely in the aft end shoulder lip of the NC added hardware to it…. did not permanently adhere the bulk Head in yet. Still need to add Nose cone weight
View attachment 516342
What do you use to cut your rings? I'm thinking of getting some type of Band Saw or Scroll Saw for this and a few other small projects I have.

I used one of these and went nice and slow

42ECA410-2C2C-47C0-9921-9AF4F87E07FD.jpeg
QUOTE="Philip Tiberius D., post: 2272150, member: 28353"]
What do you use to cut your rings? I'm thinking of getting some type of Band Saw or Scroll Saw for this and a few other small projects I have.
[/QUOTE]

For another data point, I use a band saw that uses a 1/4" rod for centering on a thick chunk of MDF. Drill 1/4 hole in the ply, put over the peg, then cut in and rotate. This was a quick test, just used a drill bit to hold the ring in place to make sure I could get this to work. Done a bunch of rings now; 2.5" and up is easiest with this. Once that's cut out, drill out the motor mount with a hole cutting bit with a 1/4" arbor.

1651237881286.png

I'd like to make/buy a nose cone bulkhead for my upcoming BD build. But currently all I have are hand tools, and I'm not sure how to make one. I'm wondering if one of the suppliers like Vander Burn who laser cuts would do it. Seems it would be a simple CAD file to feed the cutter.

They sell a Big Daddy 29mm plywood upgrade kit, perhaps the forward bulkhead could be included in that....

Hans.

I'd like to make/buy a nose cone bulkhead for my upcoming BD build. But currently all I have are hand tools, and I'm not sure how to make one. I'm wondering if one of the suppliers like Vander Burn who laser cuts would do it. Seems it would be a simple CAD file to feed the cutter.

They sell a Big Daddy 29mm plywood upgrade kit, perhaps the forward bulkhead could be included in that....

Hans.

Bulkhead is the same diameter as a centering ring; likely you can get someone to help you out with one...especially if ordering an upgrade kit.

This is what's in my first Big Daddy. Worked great. https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...eads/TBD-74mm_3in_Thin_Wall_1_pk?cPath=42_71&

Hans.
Look at Mac Performance,

Back