engine build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjeffords

Reaction score
has anyone tried or is it possible to use the engiw itself as the hull of the rocket.

Im just wondering if I were able to buy a pack of engines add fins and nose cone directly to the engine and it acctualy work. just thought it would be pretty cool.

if I were to do it how (un)stable do you think it could be.

The launch site would be in my front yard with my suroundings being no less than 400 acres of plowed farm land.

any and all help thoughts and ideas would be awesome.

...you can't think of anything else to waste $11 on?. Yes, of course a motor will fly with a nosecone and fins. If the conditions are right a motor will fly without them, either. I watched a M class motor get kicked out of a rocket at Black Rock. It flew west of the dry lake to impact the mountian side...somewhere. It's still up there, black with a gold end, good luck finding it. Just like trying to find the motors you want to fly, they're gone. All I can say is it will work but to a dead end, might as well just burn the money.

You could, but I will be the good-2-shoes here and point out that this is a violation of the safety code:
"10.Recovery System. I will use a recovery system such as a streamer or parachute in my rocket so that it returns safely and undamaged and can be flown again, and I will use only flame-resistant or fireproof recovery system wadding in my rocket." (Copied from NAR.org)

Not to mention littering.

Now, I will also add that when I was younger, living in a state where fireworks were illegal, I considered it.

Hmmm.
A8 - 3 engine. External shock cord mount. Nose cone slides over the top. It ty bitty streamer and a bit of wadding. Or glue nose cone on and call it featherweight. Certainly do able safely and within NAR rules.
Sometimes people just do things for fun

It works fine. I know for sure. But you have to build a new rocket each time. I am too lazy for that.

Back