Eggtimer Altimeter kit enjoyable to build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizardOfBoz

Reaction score
After building lots of Heathkits (my VTVM still works great!) I thought that I'd try the Eggtimer altimeter kit. It's inexpensive, and would be my first electronics in a rocket.

The kit was straightforward to build, though the SMD devices are pretty small. I found that my fingers are not so nimble as they once were, but even so I was able to finish the project without difficulty. It boots, and I will be testing my shop vac for its flight trajectory.

The one mistake I made in ordering was that I assumed that a USB A to USB micro cable would allow me to connect and download firmware. The cable is actually a USB A to three wires, with a buffer chip. If you buy an Eggtimer product, get the cable when you order. Because I was going to be paying for a shipment anyway, and because I liked the product so much, I ordered the dual deploy rocket kit from Eggtimer with the cable. All the stuff you need for a DD rocket. It will be my DD learning rocket.

One thing I like about Cris Erving's altimeter instructions are that they emphasize learning. I get the impression that Cris Erving is trying to do a bit of teaching and tech evangelism in offering these kits. Much appreciated.

Cris suggested some fairly inexpensive soldering stations/irons that would be satisfactory for this build. Because I've wanted a better iron for a while, I exercised a bit of overkill and got a Haako FX888d soldering station. I used this with a 2mm chisel tip. Cris suggestions a smaller tip for the SMD (surface mount device) and in my estimation he's correct. I ordered a 0.8mm conical tip and may use that on the DD rocket project, although the DD electronics are through-wire circuit boards so the 2mm chisel may be better.

The only other advice (besides ensuring that you get the cable) is that you either bind or staple the assembly instructions together before starting assembly. The user's guide has page numbers, the assembly instructions didn't.

Very happy that I tried this kit, and will report back on the DD rocket once its completed and flown.

20240418_093750.jpg20240418_093741 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Oh, about the DD shipment. It was shipped promptly, and is expected today, but UPS advised:

"A train derailment has delayed delivery by one business day."

Which is something I don't see every day. Never, really.

Back