Soldering Iron Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I searched here for peoples thoughts on an acceptable soldering iron to use -- for me to build some Eggtimer boards. I got the Weller 5 to 30 Variable Wattage Precision Grip Soldering Iron Station - WLSK3012ABLANK found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09632PQK1?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

1697935877650.png

I also order the set of tips that you can find here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077V1VND5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

1697936017545.png

Well, the two seem to be incompatible UNLESS the tip goes over the top of the existing soldering iron point. What am I missing?

HELP!

The tip should have a screw flange retainer that comes off allowing you to swap out the tips like this.

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_012942121.jpg
    PXL_20231022_012942121.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231022_012919729.jpg
    PXL_20231022_012919729.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Also, you really need a digital readout for the temp. The iron pictured does not seem to be able to tell you what temp it's at.

Also, you really need a digital readout for the temp. The iron pictured does not seem to be able to tell you what temp it's at.
A digital readout isn't required as long as the user knows roughly what temperature their iron is at for a given position on the dial.

However, this requires a bit of patience to make sure the temperature has adjusted and a digital readout is definitely a nice feature to have (although I don't usually see them on irons that are less than 40 watts).

Budget kept me from getting the digital version. And 15w is what Eggtimer recommends. That said, if I can’t get the tips to work, I may return it and get the digital version. :) But then I am probably asking for a bigger slap from the wife!

Last edited:
The tip should have a screw flange retainer that comes off allowing you to swap out the tips like this.
The tip looks to have a set screw only to hold it in place. Maybe this tip will be fine for Eggtimer boards? That is all that I plan on doing, but I like to have tip options. Unfortunately, the tips in the kit I bought are a larger diameter than the tip that comes with the iron.

1697941969890.png

The tip looks to have a set screw only to hold it in place. Maybe this tip will be fine for Eggtimer boards? That is all that I plan on doing, but I like to have tip options. Unfortunately, the tips in the kit I bought are a larger diameter than the tip that comes with the iron.

View attachment 610974
The tip pictured in my response above is generally what I use for assembling Eggtimer kits. That one you show is probably fine. I've never used any other tip shape except a spade on occasion for removing solder along with a solder wick. Tips don't last forever though and you will likely want to be able to replace them. I also recommend getting some Chip Quik to help keep the tip clean. I also use a brass wire pad (not a wet sponge) for cleaning.

I looked up the soldering iron you are using. FWIW, I picked up the YIHUA 926 III 60W LED Display Soldering Iron Station for about what you may have paid for the Weller. I know Weller is a go to for soldering, but I've not had any issues with the Yihua and the digital temp readout is nice. As are the integral "hands" for holding onto the PCB while you work.

I looked up the soldering iron you are using. FWIW, I picked up the YIHUA 926 III 60W LED Display Soldering Iron Station for about what you may have paid for the Weller. I know Weller is a go to for soldering, but I've not had any issues with the Yihua and the digital temp readout is nice. As are the integral "hands" for holding onto the PCB while you work.
Hmmm...I could not find it that inexpensive -- and I have everything else that I should need for cleaning, holding, etc. I'm still tinkering with this one. I guess the best thig to do will be to test it on a practice board!

Consider a hot air station.
Using paste, it really can speed up assembly and improve quality.

Not the cheapest, but investing in tools usually pays off in time saved.

Those tips are not compatible with that handle.

Some tips are held in with a set screw (your handle)

Some handles have a slip-over collar with a locking nut (your tips want this kind of handle)

Anyone know of a good re-work station that is afforbale? I bought one but it was junk.

Budget kept me from getting the digital version. And 15w is what Eggtimer recommends. That said, if I can’t get the tips to work, I may return it and get the digital version. :) But then I am probably asking for a bigger slap from the wife!
It’s worth it my dad got one for work and it is 10000x better than a regular one.

Those tips are not compatible with that handle.

Some tips are held in with a set screw (your handle)

Some handles have a slip-over collar with a locking nut (your tips want this kind of handle)
Bingo.

The Amazon page for the tips you have says "...Tips for HAKKO 936,937,907 Atten, Quick,Ryobi, Aoyue, Yihua,Vastar,Sywon,Tabiger,SOAIY and X-Tronic..." No mention of Weller.

Different manufacturers use different tip interfaces. There isn't a single standard. Some manufacturers have different standards within different model ranges. Get tips specifically intended for yours.

So last question -- with just a dial, how do I know what the temperature of the tips? Is there a thermometer for soldering tips that I can touch the tip to so that I can confirm? Or do I just try and melt some solder and see what happens?

Last edited:
Make sure that you get one that has a grounded tip. It doesn't always matter, but if you ever solder on static sensitive components (like integrated circuits) it could save you a bunch of money on fried chips.

That's Weller's entry-level station, it should be fine. What you really need is the right tip... 0.8mm conical is the best choice for almost all of our kits.

As far as the eBay/Amazon no-name stations go, don't bother. I got one... I only use the hot air tool on it, the soldering iron is garbage. Stick with the name brands... Weller, Hakko, Velleman. I have a Radio Shack station, which is a rebranded Velleman... it's been a great station, and Hakko tips fit so it's easy to get tips.

That's Weller's entry-level station, it should be fine. What you really need is the right tip... 0.8mm conical is the best choice for almost all of our kits.

As far as the eBay/Amazon no-name stations go, don't bother. I got one... I only use the hot air tool on it, the soldering iron is garbage. Stick with the name brands... Weller, Hakko, Velleman. I have a Radio Shack station, which is a rebranded Velleman... it's been a great station, and Hakko tips fit so it's easy to get tips.
Thank you very much sir! I sent back my original unit and am waiting on my Hakko. :) But now I guess I need to get a board to practice on!

Thank you very much sir! I sent back my original unit and am waiting on my Hakko. :) But now I guess I need to get a board to practice on!
I built a little radio from a kit it was a 10/10 experience and I gave it to my grandpa.
Edit and the moment it came on and started playing Christmas music!

Back