Edmunds Ecee Thunder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ounderfla69

Reaction score
I was a little hesitant to get another boost glider rocket after building the boost lawndart Cosmo Mariner but I liked the size and looks of the Edmunds Ecee Thunder. It is a Canard type boost glider with a rear wing 27inches wide and 41inches long. I picked one up from ASP Rocketry at the SCIPower in Orangeburg SC in July.

When I got home I opened up the package and examined the laser cut parts not much sanding is needed to assemble the parts. The only part that required was the nose which is formed by 5 1/4inch balsa pieces glued together and then glued to the front of the rocket. The nose needs quite a bit of sanding to get a nice shape which was made easier with some very fine sand paper on mouse pad sander. The elevator flies free as the glider is in boost and then the motor pops a cork and holds the elevator down for lift after the ejection charge. The elevator was broken on one side but that did not occur until ejection, I think some light strengthening would be helpful or at least trace out the elevator so you can make replacements. The elevator is held onto the front by tape making easily replaceable. The motor mount tube does not have a thrust ring or engine clip and is held in by tape. I decided to add a thrust ring to using a yellow Estes E size tube, marking a 1/2 inch over hang. I also decided to use some rail buttons instead of the launch lugs because the rails are 6ft long and will give the rockets some extra time to get up to speed. The directions say not to paint it but I put a very light coat of fluorescent orange paint on it.

I took it outside and put an expended E engine case and it flew straight and true. I wasn’t sure if I want to trim it so that it turns one way or the other but I figured I would see how it flew on a D12-3 and adjust accordingly.

Launch day, September 9 at the NEFAR launch in Bunnell, was pretty calm in the morning so I loaded the rocket up with a D12-3, pushed the plug in the top of the tube. The rocket is very easy to prep, takes about 2 minutes. I load the rocket on the rail and it was perfect started straight and turn slightly into the wind to about a 100ft and then pop it went flat and flew perfectly it turned into the wind then circled around keeping a flat glide almost standing still in the air. It land a few hundred feet away from the pad Excellent flight. D12-3 and E9-4 are recommended but seeing that a D12-3 was just about minimum I decided not to fly it on a D123. I think a perfect engine would be a 24mm F Single use but they don’t make then and it did eject the motor. The wind was picking up by noon and wasn’t sure if I would fly it again but by the afternoon the wind died down some and I said what the heck and put a E30-7 (all I had too long of a delay) and put it up this time I would say it went to around 250ft and the started heading for the ground. It dropped to under 200ft before the ejection blew. As soon as it did it went straight and had one beautiful glide. It landed on a nice patch of grass very gently. Upon ejection one side the elevator was broken and it didn’t break on landing. I believe it broke on ejection. It didn’t take much to fit but I think maybe reinforcing the elevator with paper,

Overall this is an easy glider to build, I would say a level 2 at most. It is very big and Impressive and turns heads at the launches. I havent been home for a few days and will psot some when I get home.

Mark

You don't really want themotor to eject on the Ecee. I usually do a friction fit on the motor and use a tape strip on the part of the tube that is left uncovered to prevent that.

kj

I had it put tape around the motor and thought it would be good and around the motor tube but it wasnt enough. The second motor did not eject, just a bit too long on the delay.

MArk

Originally posted by BRS Hobbies
Mark,

Awesome flight video of the Ecee Thunder!

Best regards,
Brian

The only problem was the delay was too long and one side of the Elevator broke off but still had a excellent flight. The elevator is fixed and ready for next weekend.

Mark

The Ecee Thunder is BEGGING for positive motor retention. On two flights (both with D12-3), I had the exact same result...

1)Motor was friction-fitted + external wrap + built with a thrust ring.

2)Motor ejected both times.

3)Canard broke at ejection both times.

4)Tape hinge useless after 2 flights.

5)Steep fast glide, not-so-gentle landing, but survived.

Suggestions that I'm putting in mine:

1) Motor clip retention
2) Enlarged vent hole to keep ejection from blowing the motor AND clip out.
3) Replaced tape hinge with RC airplane CA hinge material
4) Skin the entire canard and wingtip to wing joints with dope and tissue. Should hold up to low F power.

It's good to see that yours didn't re-kit itself on the E30. That opens up a large range of motors in the 24mm reload case.

I'm contemplating upscaling (slightly) and going 29mm and 2ch. RC for recovery.:D

-Ken

While I like the innovation shown in Edmond's products, I have to report that the Ecee Thunder was a total flop for me. Mine re-kitted itself under full thrust on the first flight, almost beheading my Mom along its path to impact, nose-first, a few yards away. Total devastation. Even before the launch, the glider did not glide well despite trimming, and it broke at least once or twice during my tosses to trim it.

I've had somewhat better luck with the Deltie Airshow.

I've built several of the Thunder series of kits including the Ecee, and can't say I've had a problem with them rekitting themselves.

Do you mind telling us a little about how you built yours? What glue did you use?

kj

Last Saturday I launched it in too much wind, I also launched off a 8ft rail but it didnt get enough lift ejected the motor. It did start to glide but the wind pushed it over and it broke into 3 pieces. I need to replace the Elevator and I will also add a motor retention clip before fixing.

Mark

Originally posted by zog43editor
I've built several of the Thunder series of kits including the Ecee, and can't say I've had a problem with them rekitting themselves.

Do you mind telling us a little about how you built yours? What glue did you use?

kj

Hah! It wasn't a matter of the yellow glue I used. The thing looped directly into the ground under full thrust. It wasn't the glue that broke! :)

G

I built one of these recently and have been pleased with it's performance but if I built another one of these, I would do some things differently.

But like new2hpr, the hinge tape on mine is starting to come loose and I still have yet to recover mine with the motor still in it.

I love this glider though and I can't wait to try an E9-4 in it.

Originally posted by geof
Hah! It wasn't a matter of the yellow glue I used. The thing looped directly into the ground under full thrust. It wasn't the glue that broke! :)

G

Did you have the plug inserted into the tube so that the elevator moves freely???:confused:

In order for this glider to fly properly, the elevator must move freely or it will ground loop on you.

The only time the elevator should be locked in place is during ejection for the glide home.

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
I built one of these recently and have been pleased with it's performance but if I built another one of these, I would do some things differently.

But like new2hpr, the hinge tape on mine is starting to come loose and I still have yet to recover mine with the motor still in it.

I love this glider though and I can't wait to try an E9-4 in it.

I dont think an E9-4 will provide enough thrust in all but the most calmest day and I havent seen a calm day at the field. I would go for an APCP motor. I had a good flight on a E30 but the delay was too long.

Mark

Originally posted by ounderfla69
I dont think an E9-4 will provide enough thrust in all but the most calmest day and I havent seen a calm day at the field. I would go for an APCP motor. I had a good flight on a E30 but the delay was too long.

Mark

I've heard from many (including Rob Edmonds) that the E9-4 is a great motor for the Ecee Thunder if left unfinished (as recommended).

-Ken

I did paint mine with some Dayglo, but I would be cautious on launching it with an E9-4 on anything but a very calm day. I launched mine on an E30-4 and have to say it lifted it nicely. I would just be cautious the E9-4 is a not a high thrust motor.

Mark

Back