Apogee Aspire (SkyChicken Too!) Strange launch report.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrightme43

It's much later than it seems.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday at MC2 we launched SkyChicken Too! Twice on Aerotech F20-7 single use econojet motors.

The rocket was built with epoxy fin filets, but I used the launch lug included.

The first launch, if I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not of believed it.

It came off the rod like a lightning bolt, went up about 80 ft, did a perfect loop the loop, and then went straight up in a perfect arcing over into the wind flight, ejection was normal, and it came down in one piece with no wrinkles or damages.

I took it directly to the L3 to try to figure out what happened. Cp and Cg are correct. He examined the nozzle in the sunlight. You could see a significant erosion in a slot shape along one side of the center of the nozzle. It was like a jet fighter with thrust vectoring decided to do a loop and then go ballistic.

Asked if I should load the other motor of the two pack. We decided to try it.

It launched and flew fine. The mylar streamer is worn out and needs replaced.

It was very cool, but could of went bad.

At our launch earlier this year, @gltruett had one do exactly the same thing! It looped about 100' up, then continued on a long straight path about 30° off vertical. I walked the field it headed towards a couple of times, but never found it.

I don't remember what motor it was.

Once at a rocket launch the rocket motor chuffed so bad it sent the rocket about 25 ft in the air. It then proceeded to fall back downwards untill it was about a foot above the launch rod. Then the motor fully ignited, sending the rocket somehow perfectly straight up for a perfect flight.

Once at a rocket launch the rocket motor chuffed so bad it sent the rocket about 25 ft in the air. It then proceeded to fall back downwards untill it was about a foot above the launch rod. Then the motor fully ignited, sending the rocket somehow perfectly straight up for a perfect flight.
Had this happen to a super big Bertha on an E30. Chuffed hard enough get past the 6ft rod then started to fall Backwards. Motor ignited and I had a normal flight. Shocked everyone that was watching as we all expected the worst.

Last edited:
yep. I think the rocket that I saw this happen to had a really old white lightning motor.

Yesterday at MC2 we launched SkyChicken Too! Twice on Aerotech F20-7 single use econojet motors.

The rocket was built with epoxy fin filets, but I used the launch lug included.

The first launch, if I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not of believed it.

It came off the rod like a lightning bolt, went up about 80 ft, did a perfect loop the loop, and then went straight up in a perfect arcing over into the wind flight, ejection was normal, and it came down in one piece with no wrinkles or damages.

I took it directly to the L3 to try to figure out what happened. Cp and Cg are correct. He examined the nozzle in the sunlight. You could see a significant erosion in a slot shape along one side of the center of the nozzle. It was like a jet fighter with thrust vectoring decided to do a loop and then go ballistic.

Asked if I should load the other motor of the two pack. We decided to try it.

It launched and flew fine. The mylar streamer is worn out and needs replaced.

It was very cool, but could have went bad.
Do you still have the motor case that showed the nozzle erosion?

Back