Dran-lok / Superceptor--build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'm not sold either way on the black belly---I like it! Just sorta missin something--hmmmm
Maybe some tile patterned trim in dark gray along the edges or something, with similar trim around raised features? Like the top of the shuttle, but on the bottom.

As far as the BB,sometimes less is more.
Im just saying.
I love all your builds and paint jobs, however,I feel sometimes a BUSY paint job takes away from the shape of the rocket it self.
Not sure if your getting my drift, if the eyes only see wild paint jobs,they may be missing other things about the rocket.
I dont know,this is a time where it would be better if we were sitting around together shooting the bull.
Ya thats the ticket,then you would get my drift.

As far as the BB,sometimes less is more.
Im just saying.
I love all your builds and paint jobs, however,I feel sometimes a BUSY paint job takes away from the shape of the rocket it self.
Not sure if your getting my drift, if the eyes only see wild paint jobs,they may be missing other things about the rocket.
I dont know,this is a time where it would be better if we were sitting around together shooting the bull.
Ya thats the ticket,then you would get my drift.

Got your drift--I ended up falling somewhere in between---I kept it subdued ---just added a little detail----the pics suck--I'll borrow a friends camera later that takes better close up shots and post them--- I ended up fogging a coat of yellow over the base--layed down the pattern and resprayed the black---I got just enough of the skin pattern to show but not overwelm--once again , sorry about the poor quality of the pics--I'll do better-------DSCF0128.JPGDSCF0129.JPGDSCF0130.JPGDSCF0131.JPG---I'm going to let this sit a couple days while I build the guts, then I plan on moist sanding everything and reapplying a coat of clear---Deb will be home soon and I'll take it outside and have her hold it up for better pics of where we are at!!---H

Deb got home and I had her hold it up so I could back up a bit and get the whole thing in the frame--just got done spraying the photonic activator on---DSCF0132.JPGDSCF0133.JPGDSCF0134.JPG---aww crap!!

This is an awesome build!

How did you go about simulating it?

This is an awesome build!

How did you go about simulating it?

So I'm thinking your talking about the tile look . My bad for not posting the technique---sorry --- I'm really bad about not remembering we have new folks coming on board daily--sorry again. Pretty simple for the most part---I used a piece of foam board to demonstrate---The pics are not the best but they'll get the point across --- first lay down a coat of the color you want the little seams to be---in this case I used black--lay down a layer of "tulle" this is what I use but any king of mesh will work including screen material---I use the stuff veils are made of---Thanks Luke Strawwalker for letting me know what this stuff is called!! If I have an area with multiple contours, I'll spray a lite coat of temporary adhesive on it and lay it over the surface--after that any color you want as a top coat --just don't spray heavy---you'll have to play with the technique but you'll figure it out quickly---here's some pics of a demo-----DSCF0139.JPGDSCF0140.JPGDSCF0141.JPGDSCF0142.JPGDSCF0143.JPG---Feel free to pm me if you have any questions

Last edited:
I think he meant stability-wise. As in Openrocket, Rocksim, etc. :)

OH YEA, THAT STUFF, WE DON'T NEED NE STINKIN SIMS WHERE WE'RE GOING. Honestly, I don't sim very much of my stuff because--well-- you darn near can't--sometimes I'll run a flat view and extrapolate from there --on the really dicey designs I'll graph them and then work out the cg afterwards-which is what I'll do on this one. Hav'nt had a problem yet--If I were going for performance I'd sim a bird but I'm not intrested in that these days. Sorry about that misunderstanding and thanks RB---GRUMPY OLD HORNET!!:bang:

Thats what i was thinking, i had no idea how you'd do it up in rocksim for sim!

I was more interested in the stability of the rocket than the performance, its very hard to launch at a club here without sim data and stability info.

So I'm thinking your talking about the tile look . My bad for not posting the technique---sorry --- I'm really bad about not remembering we have new folks coming on board daily--sorry again. Pretty simple for the most part---I used a piece of foam board to demonstrate---The pics are not the best but they'll get the point across --- first lay down a coat of the color you want the little seams to be---in this case I used black--lay down a layer of "tulle" this is what I use but any king of mesh will work including screen material---I use the stuff veils are made of---Thanks Luke Strawwalker for letting me know what this stuff is called!! If I have an area with multiple contours, I'll spray a lite coat of temporary adhesive on it and lay it over the surface--after that any color you want as a top coat --just don't spray heavy---you'll have to play with the technique but you'll figure it out quickly---here's some pics of a demo-----View attachment 95474View attachment 95475View attachment 95476View attachment 95477View attachment 95478---Feel free to pm me if you have any questions

You're welcome... old car painter's trick...

I was watching "Counting Cars" (the new spinoff series from "Pawn Stars" on DirecTV-- this one with the "Kount" of "Kount's Kustoms", the car guy who advises Rick and company on the value and price of various cars he considers buying at the pawn shop and restores many of them for him). They bought a 70's VW Dune buggy with a fiberglass body and while it had a nice red finish, it was too "modern" looking for him... so he redid it in an "old school" 70's style paint job like it would have had back in the day... Green, yellow, and silver... looked REAL sharp... they did the two-tone, stripes, trim, etc... then the paint guy put some "spiderwebs" on it... got some "big girl pantyhose" with this spiderweb pattern and lacey look to it, and cut them apart for masks, laid it over the undercoats, and did a topcoat over it, using them for a mask... looked AMAZING when he was done...

Later! OL JR :)

Thats what i was thinking, i had no idea how you'd do it up in rocksim for sim!

I was more interested in the stability of the rocket than the performance, its very hard to launch at a club here without sim data and stability info.

Back in the 80's we had something called "TLAR"... That Looks About Right... I built a LOT of rockets of my own design with nothing but TLAR... If the rocket has plenty of fin area in the back, in both the pitch and yaw planes, is fairly long, and not overly tail heavy, you can be pretty sure right off the bat. If it IS tailheavy or rather smallish in the fin department, short, or going to take a big motor, it might be a good idea to put more weight in the nose. I never built an unstable rocket... you just get a "feel" for it.

Now HPR, that's kind of another animal... due to the mass, velocity, and impulse behind it, I think that either a sim or a solo launch in a remote area is just a good idea... not everything lends itself to sims, and sims are no better than the fidelity you put into it, the accuracy of the weights and their distribution, and the 'assumptions' in the software and how it models certain things to determine the stability and performance. They're NOT the "be-all, end-all" of rocket stability and modeling...

Also used the cardboard cutout method from time to time... "center of lateral area" is the same as CP at an angle of attack of 90 degrees to the direction of flight, which is the "worst case scenario" you can get...

"TLAR". That's the program I used before I discovered Open Rocket.

You're welcome... old car painter's trick...

I was watching "Counting Cars" (the new spinoff series from "Pawn Stars" on DirecTV-- this one with the "Kount" of "Kount's Kustoms", the car guy who advises Rick and company on the value and price of various cars he considers buying at the pawn shop and restores many of them for him). They bought a 70's VW Dune buggy with a fiberglass body and while it had a nice red finish, it was too "modern" looking for him... so he redid it in an "old school" 70's style paint job like it would have had back in the day... Green, yellow, and silver... looked REAL sharp... they did the two-tone, stripes, trim, etc... then the paint guy put some "spiderwebs" on it... got some "big girl pantyhose" with this spiderweb pattern and lacey look to it, and cut them apart for masks, laid it over the undercoats, and did a topcoat over it, using them for a mask... looked AMAZING when he was done...

Honestly it's not an OLD trick.Cobwebbing was the original idea---basically you sprayed thick paint at a low preasure and got a cobweb effect on the area of the car you wanted---dates back to the late fifties, early sixties---no masking involved unless you only wanted specific areas---back then cobbing was used a lot in the FG industry . The spider webbing evolved a little later as a masking process in tne custom paint industry. Cobbing is not easy to do at smaller scales although, high preasure and thick paint can get results--oh yea,,, laquer paint!!!--plan to clear!!!---

Honestly it's not an OLD trick.Cobwebbing was the original idea---basically you sprayed thick paint at a low preasure and got a cobweb effect on the area of the car you wanted---dates back to the late fifties, early sixties---no masking involved unless you only wanted specific areas---back then cobbing was used a lot in the FG industry . The spider webbing evolved a little later as a masking process in tne custom paint industry. Cobbing is not easy to do at smaller scales although, high preasure and thick paint can get results--oh yea,,, laquer paint!!!--plan to clear!!!---

Well, old to me...

Cobbing... hadn't heard of that one in years... I know I read about it in the old days when I was doing lots of car stuff... (before I got hitched and needed a CHEAP hobby! My brother's gonna take the vows in a couple months and he's gonna find out the days of tens of thousands of bucks in hot rods is gonna come to an abrupt end... )

So I've got the mmt tube and I'm thinkin--hmm--why not--or in this case--why did'nt I just do an FG MMT?--I have not done one before but are there any shortcomings besides the convenience factor? All I can see is the upside----Ideas--experience--??

What exactly is the upside? I can see the reasoning for putting one in an all FG rocket, but if the rest of the rocket is cardboard and balsa, why add the additional weight and build time?

I know it's labor intensive--that's a given--thinking about it you have a point with the weight- heck-that's why I asked the question

Took a few pics of the pattern with a friends camera---I gotta get me one of these! Anyway, these are a little better. Work on the bird is gonna slow down a bit over the next few days--starting to get holiday stuff in a work and I have to deal with that!-------IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPG

Hey ,what can I say.......another beautiful masterpiece in the works !

Always a pleasure to look at your great builds :cheers:

Sincerely

Paul T

WOW, Thanks guys---I really promise to get back at it and do the inerds--just been a crazy week and last night I had to stay up and watch the race and hope my boy made it into the Chase--IT WAS A GOOD NIGHT!!!-----All is not lost though, I've been tinkering with the Grackle transport ship design as well as the enemy maurader design. At least I know I have something to do till Christmas!!

Back