Dran-lok / Superceptor--build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Two Interceptors and a Berserker were sent to the planet Keem to investigate the loss of communication with the food production planet. Interceptors would fly top cover as the Berserker would enter the atmopshere and recon the settlements and take atmospheric samples. The distruction was total. Grackel heavy lift craft were called in to evacuate the remaining survivors. ----On Masoom, the flight testing of the new Dran-lok heavy attack fighter was accelerated. Called the Superceptor by the Earthers, it was a combination of Sa'Atchi and Earther technology. A hybrid if you will. The -SUPER- as became known , had the organic metalic skin of the Berserker and its organic flight control computers, however the Earther targeting systems were incorporated as well as engine technologies. In the end,and in a relatively short amount of time , the " Super " became the prefered choice of both SAT's and Earthers--------DSCF0033.JPGDSCF0035.JPGDSCF0036.JPGDSCF0038.JPG---gonna need this stuff most of it left over from other builds----Oh yea, 29mm

Last edited:
SWEET ! This should be another one of your great builds ,I like those !

I`m actually making an Interceptor E right now ,and am very surprised how hard the Balsa stock is ,I mean this stuff is almost as hard if not harder than Basswood ,great stuff for those big fins.

Is the Balsa stock in your kit as dense as mine seems to be ? (I recognised those fins right off the bat)

Cheers

Paul T

SWEET ! This should be another one of your great builds ,I like those !

I`m actually making an Interceptor E right now ,and am very surprised how hard the Balsa stock is ,I mean this stuff is almost as hard if not harder than Basswood ,great stuff for those big fins.

Is the Balsa stock in your kit as dense as mine seems to be ? (I recognised those fins right off the bat)

Cheers

Paul T

Yep, those are from 2 kits and they are both rock hard !! When done they might not resemble the originals much---we'll see.

Last edited:
My Interceptor build I re-cut all the fins out of plywood. I built it for high power motors and dual deployment so I didn't want them to break being as large as they are. I have another that I am building for a 38mm motor mount that will be plywood again, but this time I am fiberglassing the entire thing.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Subscribed. I can not wait to see this one. 38mm? That is going to be one high flier.

Really? You had to try to make me super jealous of your aweome designing/building/painting skills again? I hate you. :D
Good luck with the build-- can't wait to see how it turns out!

This one is 29mm . I've already made a change in design and need some ply. I'll use a little of the Interceptor wood but I need some extra stuff to get the look I think I want --so It's off to HL I go!! Gonna have to hit HT midweek to get some mmt material--I'll get some pics out tomorrow--H

Really? You had to try to make me super jealous of your aweome designing/building/painting skills again? I hate you. :D
Good luck with the build-- can't wait to see how it turns out!

See, I've already screwed up and changed the design---I'll try not to let you down though!I might hate myself after this one!!

Got a couple days off so it's time to dig in. I decided to tackle the nose area first, since it takes the most time and you really sorta have to wing it --no pun intended!---DSCF0042.JPGDSCF0044.JPGDSCF0045.JPGDSCF0049.JPGDSCF0050.JPG--- I started by cutting the chine formers and the cockpit form--CA'd these on and later epoxied them. next I glued a piece of 1/16 balsa to either side of the cockpit form and let it set. Starting in the center I pulled the balsa down and glued it in place---I held it in place with cloths pins. Once dry I trimmed the top to the basic shape.

Also started on the Fin layout. I cut a pattern out of foam board .After several designs I finally fell on one I like. I cut the wing/fins out of 1/8 birch ply. This is probably overkill ,but whats done is done. Once I cut these out---no saw here---sharp knife only--what a pita---I sanded them together to get them true and identical. On the upside they came out very close and little sanding was needed----View attachment 93119View attachment 93120View attachment 93121----The nose is drying and I should have it shaped out by the end of the evening---I'm playing with the other fin designs right now. I was planning on warping the main wings and giving them a downward arc. I'm starting to move away for that for now---we'll see.----H

That's weird--well it seems you can click on those attachments and view them---HMMM

You have scary talent. Did you sell your soul to the Devil?

I was'nt happy with the direction the cone was going so I tore everything off and started it over--I'll get pics out later---The devil made me do it!!

I was'nt happy with the direction the cone was going so I tore everything off and started it over--I'll get pics out later---The devil made me do it!!

Really? I thought it had a very Dran-loc feel to it. What ever else you have planned for it must be spectacular!

Well, here it is--I can work off of this----DSCF0052.JPGDSCF0053.JPGDSCF0058.JPG----and the fins cut from some interceptor blanks------DSCF0055.JPGDSCF0057.JPG---I am currently leaning away from the ply fins --they are very heavy---but I'm ok with the shape!

Last edited:
DSCF0059.JPG---Ya know, I'm gonna move forward with what I have. The wings will be surface mounted and epoxied on but I'll skin them to get a blended wing --much like Berserker and the Stealth-ceptor, This makes for a very ridged structure and is effectively ttw but outside the tube! I'll be doing the same with all the fins. ----I am going to change the profile of the other fins a tick-----thing-from-another-world-pic-1.png--- always liked that look!! I had planned on this being an easier build--such is not the case!---OH DARN!!------The "Super" had a crew of two--one Earther and one Sa'Atchi. Information saturation was a problem with it's high performance and weapons systems displays. In the end it was simple, six eyes were better than two or four! The 'Supers" were pushed into service with no apparent shortcomings and the new "Tripoli" class battle carriers were making their shakedown runs.

Last edited:
This is almost like an old radio show... I tried something similar on another forum with my Airwolf Interceptor but lost the steam in my short hiatus from rockets. I like it.

Hornet, I think your builds tend to involve more woodworking than traditional rocket-building! This one looks like no exception. :)
I'm in California right now, with limited Internet via iPhone, but I'll check in when I can.

The Thing From Another World-- now that was funny! I saw part of it on the Sy-fy channel, and it was a real hoot! :roll: Some of the dialogue was just terrible. I love the Sy-fy channel. :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the build. Good luck! :)

Hornet, I think your builds tend to involve more woodworking than traditional rocket-building! This one looks like no exception. :)
I'm in California right now, with limited Internet via iPhone, but I'll check in when I can.

The Thing From Another World-- now that was funny! I saw part of it on the Sy-fy channel, and it was a real hoot! :roll: Some of the dialogue was just terrible. I love the Sy-fy channel. :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the build. Good luck! :)

Well, that whole wood working may have worked me into a coffin corner on this one! One thing I like to get out of every build is a nice balanced look--sorta the whole aesthetics thing --right now it ain't happening---gotta be stable too!!! --So the looks and the saftey are fighting each other at the moment- Using ply--against my better judgement started this path , that was caused by the 29mm choice. In and of it's self ,not a big deal . I'll work this out --might even have a plan---The Hornet must noodle for an evening:dark:

UPDATE --I have a plan--I should get some pics out late tonight or in the morning---Life is good !!!!

So far I haven't seen anything that looks like it couldn't be fixed by more noseweight. And, of course, a bigger motor. :dark: Low'n'slow flights are better for really good-looking birds anyway. :2:
I'm sure you'll get it worked out. :)

BTW, speaking of coffin corners, do you think you could make one of those fly? An entire coffin is one thing, but what about just the corner? :p

So far I haven't seen anything that looks like it couldn't be fixed by more noseweight. And, of course, a bigger motor. :dark: Low'n'slow flights are better for really good-looking birds anyway. :2:
I'm sure you'll get it worked out. :)

BTW, speaking of coffin corners, do you think you could make one of those fly? An entire coffin is one thing, but what about just the corner? :p

I can't argue with your line of thinking! This thing is long enough , so that a little bit of weight up front makes a big difference. Anyway, moving forward - I glued on the raw material for the strakes , after these had set I came back andtrimmed them to the ballpark shape-I'll be blending these in so they just need to be close for now--The reason I waited till after they were mounted to cut them? It's just easier for me to visualize the final shape with them on--plus it's easier to cut material away than to add it--I also trimmed the NC to shape and got the interface between it and the strakes darn near perfect---First coat of filler is on the NC.-----DSCF0061.JPGDSCF0062.JPGDSCF0063.JPGDSCF0064.JPGDSCF0066.JPG------I'll start the blending today---I've decided not to go with the fins I'd cut out. I can use them on something else later. I may go with a single vertical on this one--sorta gives it a little bit of retro look---undecided---I sure like twin tails though---for obvious reasons:cool:----- a little drying time now --more pics later

Started the skinning and blending process. Used 1/16 balsa for this. I sprayed one side with water to get it to warp into a workable shape. I've gotten the rear of the top covered and the front of the bottom. ----DSCF0067.JPGDSCF0068.JPGDSCF0069.JPGDSCF0070.JPGDSCF0071.JPG---got the excess cut off and sanded to shape

I've got the top and bottom layed up-as you can tell from the rear extension I've decided to go with a single vertical tail on this one-It'll have a couple of sizable ventrals too. Mounting those is going to be a bit of a challenge-I'm restricted -structurally - where I can place them, add to that they are going to be on a bit of a compound curve,so getting them straight too is a pain, more on that later. I used 1/8 lugs on this one and then skinned over them to hide em. this leaves an opening in the front and rear of the panel. I plan on closing up the front a bit and making a small intake out of it. the rear will be trimmed out for a more fluid look--Don't ask me how I managed to get that tight curve on the rear without snaping the wood---lots of water I guess- -DSCF0074.JPGDSCF0077.JPGDSCF0078.JPG---I'll be making the tail fins out of ply also--I need to pick up a new saw---As you can see the tailfin overhangs a bit---hence the use of ply instead of bass or balsa. It will also be surface mounted but blended so it should be quite ridged. More later---Hornet

Back