• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

design programs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJG

Reaction score
I am a teacher who, as part of my science curriculum, has my students design, build, and launch a model rocket. In the past I have used Spacecad as the deign program. Some of my students are already talking about next year and would like to try designing a rocket with strap on boosters rather then adding a stage. Is there a design program out there that can do a strap on booster?

Indeed, Rocsim can do strap on booster simulation, but it is one of the more difficult concepts to accurately set up and simulate.

Of note: Rocsim is a paid program (potentially there are education discounts). OpenRocket is a free program the students can download and use to design and simulate single and multi stage rockets. (clustered motors too). Although you can't do strapon boosters with it yet, I believe it is a very useful tool they can start playing around with to learn from (CG vs CP relationship, resulting altitudes from different power motors, etc....)

Also: Check out rocketcontest.org, it is The American Rocket Challenge where students design and build a rocket to lift X number of eggs to a specified altitude (and recover safely within a specified time period). Great thing to look into for school clubs or teams!

Back