Design Possibility

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

Reaction score
So if a person was interesting in designing a rocket similar to the old Estes Manta Bomber is it possible in OpenRocket or Rocksim?

Estes Manta Bomber.jpg

I am thinking about the pods on the wingtips. The design in my head actually has "winglets" that have a pod on each.

I want to try simming it so I can see how having the motor forward of the most aft part of the rocket affect the CP and CG...

=Bob

I know rocksim can do fins off of pods, not sure about tube fins. For that matter they say they can do pods off of pods. To my knowledge neither will do a nose cone like that. You would have to approximate it with a transition and larger nose cone.

So if a person was interesting in designing a rocket similar to the old Estes Manta Bomber is it possible in OpenRocket or Rocksim?

View attachment 413732

I am thinking about the pods on the wingtips. The design in my head actually has "winglets" that have a pod on each.

I want to try simming it so I can see how having the motor forward of the most aft part of the rocket affect the CP and CG...

=Bob

RockSim can do everything in that design except the nose cone.

To do the aft section, make the 2 fins coming off the rocket, add a pod to each, then add a body tube to the pod and then add a ringtail to that body tube. Might take a little trial and error to get the sweep on the tube fins right, but it should all work and simulate correctly.

The one thing it won't be able to account for - how will those fins hold up to a lit motor just a few inches in front of them? Probably fine if it has been done before, but you may want to consider different materials incase.

Back