"Mix N Match" - a kinda silly design with some non-matching parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co-leader of the LRP

stability is overrated
Reaction score
Included with my secret santa gift was a bunch of assorted parts (thanks again!) that I think came from various uncompleted kits, and that got me to thinking of designs to make with them. I came up with the idea to use some of the small-diameter tubes as pods on the fins, but then decided to go with asymmetrical fin pods for the fun of it. If I've openrocketed correctly it sims as stable with a bit of added nose weight and is perfect for a C motor or the quest 18mm D motors if I can find any, to ~300 and ~450 feet respectively. Not 100% sure I'll end up building it, or at least not for a while, but the only parts I'd need to buy are the front nose cone and a shock cord so...
What do y'all think about it? :p

flightsims.png

funnyrocket.png
Note that the colours aren't final, the blue/yellow parts were already those colours and I added the red/green to match for no particular reason.

Yeah it probably could use a bit bigger of a motor but I have a few 18mm mounts already so that’s what I modelled it with. Hadn’t thought about a cluster since I’m not sure the little estes 4xAA launch controller I have can handle that, but that’s an interesting idea; it probably wouldn’t be too hard to make some centering rings for that.
Glad you like it but I’m not sure what you mean by "finsufficiency", would that be a "not enough fins"?

Glad you like it but I’m not sure what you mean by "finsufficiency", would that be a "not enough fins"?
was trying to be clever. I have more Experience than most at asymmetric designs, but have never tried going commando with no fins at all. Pods likely will work. I am not sure of the accuracy of sim programs using pods instead of fins, and because of my lack of experience with pods-only stability my “mind-sim” comes up blank.

If I did it right (create a simulation wit the same motor and wind direction of 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270°) and then plot the stability vs. time OR says it ranges between 1.25 and 1.45 all 4 main directions \o/
I didn't know it had a graph feature before, so I checked the flight side profile too and it even seems like it will fly reasonably straight - it's no more than 25ish feet away from the launch point at apogee.

If I did it right (create a simulation wit the same motor and wind direction of 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270°) and then plot the stability vs. time OR says it ranges between 1.25 and 1.45 all 4 main directions \o/
I didn't know it had a graph feature before, so I checked the flight side profile too and it even seems like it will fly reasonably straight - it's no more than 25ish feet away from the launch point at apogee.
That seems right, assuming the wind has speed, too!

For the curious, here's the post about variation in stability for my asymmetric rocket.

was trying to be clever. I have more Experience than most at asymmetric designs, but have never tried going commando with no fins at all. Pods likely will work. I am not sure of the accuracy of sim programs using pods instead of fins, and because of my lack of experience with pods-only stability my “mind-sim” comes up blank.
You must mindsim like the Grinch until your PUZZLER is sore! Only then will all the asymmetric tube jing dingelers and hoop ring ding dangelers merge into a symphony of RSO pleasing stability. :)

Back