Dedicated Stereo/Audio/Video thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up my son Nick Lemons/Stereo Integrity, and go to the room that he's got, number 702 and I'll tell him you will stop by and listen to his speakers.
Marty, I stopped by an introduced myself to your son. HIs stuff sounds AWESOME! One of the best sounding rooms I visited today.

You know, I was surprised that alot of stuff I listened to in the rooms did not sound good to me at all. Perhaps I don't like high end sound? Most of demos were too loud, imaging smeared and shrill. I expected to be demoralized with my home system after listening to these systems at the show. That didn't happen at all. Now I only had time to visit a couple handfuls of rooms but I counted 3-4 that I thought sounded good.

Marty, I stopped by an introduced myself to your son. HIs stuff sounds AWESOME! One of the best sounding rooms I visited today.
Well John you've done a lot better than I have, at Nick's house, his stereo room is on the third floor and I can't even make it up three steps to the first landing, so I've never heard his system. :(

Well John you've done a lot better than I have, at Nick's house, his stereo room is on the third floor and I can't even make it up three steps to the first landing, so I've never heard his system. :(
You did a good job with your son Marty. Very friendly and a gentleman. Hope to see him today again when I bring my son along.

Well here is my quick review of AXPONA (my first ever visit of a high-end audio trade show). Not in any particular order of importance but what struck me.
  • I found that the plurality of listening rooms did not sound good at all. Played too loud, bass nodes galore all over the place, midrange shrill etc.
  • Surprising that people walking out of such rooms commented how good it sounded? Really? Is this what high-end supposed to sound like?
  • I did hear some jaw dropping sound from some of the rooms, things I never heard my system even come close to. But those were $70K+ loudspeakers and amplifiers.
  • Lots of snake oil, (not surprising). Usually I am very well behaved when presented with such. I have mellowed as I aged. But more that once I verbally went Eddie Murphy Beverly Hill Cop mode and uttered "Get the f*** outta here" at some of the stuff that was being shoveled at me.
  • About 50% of the rooms were digital sourced only, the rooms with both vinyl and digital were mostly demonstrating with digital sources unless vinyl was specifically requested.
  • If the show demographics are a model of the high-end market then I think the business is in trouble. The majority of the attendees are aging like me. Or perhaps that is where are the disposable wealth is?
  • @FredA Harmon's room with Revel's was one of the best sounding rooms.
  • Stereo-Integrity's room (@Hobie1dog 's son) was also a great sounding room.

I've never been to a professional audio expo, but I did go to some DIY shows years ago. They basically rented space in a hotel and it was a swap meet and listening session. In those events, there was very little 'cross-talk', as people demo'd their stuff one at a time. I heard stuff that almost made me want to put my fingers in my ears and some stuff that made my mouth drop. Audio is very interesting, but everyone reading this thread knows that.

Sounds like a good way to spend a few days, either way.

Sandy.

HiFi shows are fun.
Used to hit them often in younger days.
But oh yea, the span of what is "good sound" is only exceeded by the price span of the gear.
I was trying to find an excuse to hit APXONA but wasn't to be.
Glad you were able to go and report back.

I do really like my Revels - both in the HT and the HiFi room. Glad to hear they were well represented at the show.

pics from AXPONA show
am800bL.jpg

the guy who bought the 24" subs
UQ4X84J.jpg

most of his SQ drivers
OjHp3kz.jpg

Towers

Kxr71Sb.jpg

ajUiqSN.jpg

the 24" raw driver to draw people in
xqthW0u.jpg

Latest posts