Dedicated DIY Audio Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The claims are:

● Double Butcher Block (CLD) Construction Featuring a Premium Viscoelastic Damping Layer

● Double B Constrained-Layer Damping Provides a Significant Reduction of Unwanted Vibrations

● Improved Sound Stage - Wider & Deeper

● Double B Improves Sonic Performance Resulting in Optimal Clarity & Detail

● The Mass of the Double Butcher Block, Combined with the Elastomer Middle Layer, Delivers a Low Noise Floor

● Select ISO-BAND - Thermoplastic Elastomer Compression Spring Footer

Double B Constrained-Layer Damping Provides a Significant Reduction of Unwanted Vibrations

I’m not surprised at the difference. Mass is great, but it’s also a sledgehammer method.

It would be worthwhile to do that in concrete as an experiment.

Maybe I’ll get there one of these days, on a much lower tier!

a 2" thick slab of rubber would be even better and hung from the ceiling with 4 pieces of 80 lb test fishing line.

Hmmm. Lemme see.

(looks around)

(checks pockets)

Ah, excellent! I've got a little more blasphemy. Let me share with the group ;)

What I'm saying is a bouncy, floppy suspension can solve this problem and be lightweight at the same time. Sheer mass is not the only way to skin this particular cat.

Isolation for turntables means one thing and one thing only: keeping unwanted energy from causing the cartridge to move relative to the record surface.

There's only 2 ways for unwanted energy to get there:
1) Mechanically, up thru the feet of the turntable (moving the record relative to the arm) or
2) Acoustically, directly through the air (moving the arm relative to the record).

So the other big religious debate here is "dust covers yes or no?" It seems the answer should be yes, but it's actually maybe. I love the dust covers with 'big box' design that do not touch the turntable at all but instead sit all the way down to the mounting shelf, enclosing the entire table, feet and all. Dust covers that mechanically ground straight to the plinth of the table are more of a mixed bag. Might help, might not.

Magic goo with the right hardness and that remains stable over time by may be tricky to find.

It would be fun to experiment with that. The thickness & hardness may not be intuitive. Same for base materials.

I’ll be starting with a stock AR XA, hopefully later this year.

Hmmm. Lemme see.

(looks around)

(checks pockets)

Ah, excellent! I've got a little more blasphemy. Let me share with the group ;)

What I'm saying is a bouncy, floppy suspension can solve this problem and be lightweight at the same time. Sheer mass is not the only way to skin t

So the other big religious debate here is "dust covers yes or no?" It seems the answer should be yes, but it's actually maybe. I love the dust covers with 'big box' design that do not touch the turntable at all but instead sit all the way down to the mounting shelf, enclosing the entire table, feet and all. Dust covers that mechanically ground straight to the plinth of the table are more of a mixed bag.
I went to a former friend's house one day and he started playing his turntable and I motioned for him to cut it off because there was a large amount of rumble. I asked him just to take the dust cover off of the turntable and try it again which reduced it down to 1/2 of what it was. I asked him if he had four of those isolation feet which he did and that knocked another quarter of it out, and the rest of it was just through the stand itself. The isolation feet didn't quite take all of it out as then I had him hold the turntable up off of the stand and that took care of the rest of it.

Got to careful with "isolators". Last thing you want to add to the system are things that store energy.

Sorbothane is perfect to have in the system to soak and dissipate energy. Drop a BB or ball bearing on it and it won't bounce. Test your turntable or slab feet this way, if a ball bearing bounces off the rubber, then bounce those feet right into the trash.

Nice record store! Bought used Ricky Lee Jones first album and a Sonny Rollins album (pig in a poke on that tone). And a new Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill. And that was just a one store. They also had a Elton John Honky Chateau VG for $7.99 I was very tempted on. I might go back for that one. Its calling me.

Love some Ricky Lee Jones! Which Sonny Rollins?
Did not have much to choose from. Grabbed a Quintessence Jazz album called Green Dolphin. Probably a mistake but will see how in sounds. Only risked $6. They also had RLJ Pirates album. May go back and get that one too, One of my favorites back in the 80's when I had a copy.

Ok Tim, you talked me into it. Went back (its only 5 miles from here) picked up RLJ Pirates, Keith Jarret album from my past and Tom Petty 3 album Wildflowers and the rest. Today's score..

IMG_20240302_162524934.jpgD

Ok Tim, you talked me into it. Went back (its only 5 miles from here) picked up RLJ Pirates, Keith Jarret album from my past and Tom Petty 3 album Wildflowers and the rest. Today's score..

View attachment 633556D

Beautiful!

And you just convinced me to change tonight's plans and put the new microswitch in this Pioneer table so I can listen to some good vinyl!

IMG_0871.JPG

Does anyone here use Discogs ? I used it to find which pressing I have of my RJG LP. You can also read reviews from others on the various pressings. Turns out I have a Winchester pressing (VA). Reviews are decent. Mostly you have to read the light scribble engravings in the dead was section of the record to identify the pressing along with the info in DIscogs. Also if there is a pressing you want it gives you a link to others who are selling that version. Cool stuff.

Does anyone here use Discogs ? I used it to find which pressing I have of my RJG LP. You can also read reviews from others on the various pressings. Turns out I have a Winchester pressing (VA). Reviews are decent. Mostly you have to read the light scribble engravings in the dead was section of the record to identify the pressing along with the info in DIscogs. Also if there is a pressing you want it gives you a link to others who are selling that version. Cool stuff.

Yep, same username as here. My collection there is incomplete and outdated. Very useful for deciphering matrix #'s, and more so since a search function was added to that field. Some albums have so many pressings that it's still crazy to sort through. I like the how many "Have/Want" for each pressing, it helps determine desirability for ebay listings.

RE: the Pioneer turntable

The bad microswitch is the main power switch for the table, actuated by the lever on bottom right in the photo above. I don't know how it got burned so badly, there is residue all around the area inside. It's in series with the power line and everything nearby is non-conductive.

I pulled the bad switch a week or two ago and put the table back together, assuming the table# and part# would be all I needed...The diagram on the switch wasn't readable, and I wanted it to be a N.O. switch, closed when turning the table on. It went between the wall cord and relay, so I assumed it would default to open if the actuator broke.

Since the original part number was nowhere to be found, I bought the only one that was assembled in the same physical orientation. I could see the switched leaf was in the wrong place to match the original, but it was only $1.25. Y'all know how that turned out, right?

I had already cut and soldered the pigtail on the wrong switch last night before taking the bottom off again, and discovering the actuator released the switch when turning on the table.

Fortunately, the same seller had another of the same series/specs, and N.C., but flipped (top, in image below). Mounting holes looked to be the same when flipped, so I bought that one, too.

IMG_0872.JPG

We'll do it again today with the other switch.

Absotively, Posilutely!

I discovered Discogs when I installed Tellico on my Linux box to manage my LP collection. Love it!

Scored one more today. Renaissance Song of All Seasons. Had several of their albums. Was a big fan in my youth. Got it for $3. Vinyl and sleeve look perfect. Winchester pressing.

Now I just need to find a copy of Scheherazade and Turn of Cards (masterd by Bob Ludwig) and I will be a happy camper.

IMG_20240303_132336492.jpg

Scored one more today. Renaissance Song of All Seasons. Had several of their albums. Was a big fan in my youth. Got it for $3. Vinyl and sleeve look perfect. Winchester pressing.

View attachment 633705
Although I've had one of their albums since the 70s, I really didn't fall in love with their music until the last five years. Now, they're on one of my go-to playlists in Der Red Maxine.

Latest posts

Back