Datalogger for Eggfinder TX ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
According to Eggfinder website: "The Eggfinder TX will also take an OpenLog datalogger module, so you can save your NMEA-formatted data to a micro-SD card so you can import the data into a program like Google Earth and get a really cool track of your rocket’s path."
Any recommendations for the add-on module? Has anyone done this for recording flight track? Does it auto-stop at landing, or SD card full, or does it loop data, and overwrite data when SD Filled?
Thanks.

I haven't flown mine yet, but I've done some ground testing and here is what I know. It essentially records non-stop while it has power. I'm not sure what happens if it fills the drive up, but I've been told that my 8GB card will record data for days before it gets close to that limit. A sufficiently large enough microSD call should take care of a lot of your concerns. If I had to guess, I figure it would just stop recording new data once the disk is filled.

TIP
  • Buy the module directly from Cris (Eggtimer). The first one I received didn't work and Cris provided help troubleshooting and eventually replaced it free of charge.
  • Make sure your microSD card is formatted properly using either FAT or FAT32 filesystem. This is best done on a Windows computer.

THANKS. I'll email Cris. I didn't see it on any of his product lists, so just didn't think to ask him.
It’s on the Purchase page of the Eggtimer website.

“OpenLog data logging module (logs GPS data to micro SD card): $12 each
(Fits directly on Eggfinder TX RevC1 board)
TXLog OpenLog Adapter Board for Eggfinder TX B6/B7 boards: $8 each
(Allows you to mount an OpenLog data logger on a B6/B7 TX board)”

Any microSD card is going to go for a really long time... at about 100 bytes/second, an 8 GB card is going to take about 22,000 hours to fill up, that works out to about 2 1/2 years of continuous use. That works out to about a 1.5 KAH battery... probably bigger than most of my rockets could lift.

Back