ThrustMaster - yet another motor dyno

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mago0

Reaction score
I'm sure there's plenty of code out there that does the same thing but this is my take on it. https://github.com/mago0/ThrustMaster
  1. When the device is powered up and SD card is ready, the LED will be lit.
  2. Pressing the button will begin a timer of variable time (default 20s). The LED will flash and piezo beep
  3. At the end of the countdown, the pyro relay will fire for variable duration (default 3s)
  4. Also at the end of the countdown, load measurements will be recorded to the SD card at 80Hz (so long as you pulled the hx711 pin 15 high)
  5. At the end of the recording duration (default 10s), a second file will be created on the SD card with the key measurements (Peak N, Total Ns, Avg N, Burn duration). Only periods of force greater than 0.1N are considered for saving data and measurements
Needs:
  • circuit diagram
  • shopping list

Hardware:
* esp32
* 3v regulator (SD writes require a lot of amperage and your microcontroller may not have enough. Thus, we go direct from battery to a voltage regulator to power the module)
* 5v regulator
* LED
* 220 ohm resistor
* simple push-button
* piezo speaker
* Adafruit SD module
* 10 amp relay
* HX711 load cell amp
* large NiMH battery (power the pyro)
* 9v battery (power the board and components)
* load cell (use the size you require)

I built this on an ESP32 so you may need to adjust the hardware interrupt if you have an Uno for example.

Lastly, I will put up a circuit diagram when I get enough free time to create it. Please, feel free to use this or enhance it any way you see fit. Feel free to also do a pull-request. Just don't give me a hard time if you don't like my code!

dyno_build.jpg
(yes, this one has seen its share of explosions)

Last edited:
Back