DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No joy on the L3 attempt at Airfest, I'm blaming it on Schurter switches and me having a bad sense of direction. You can get the sordid details on my build thread :facepalm:

Other than that Airfest was a great launch and we really had a good time, If you haven't made it to the rocket pasture yet you need too! It's rocket nirvana.

I didn't fly as many rockets as I planned (the L3 pretty much killed the whole day for me on Saturday) but there is another launch coming up soon I believe somewhere in Oklahoma and I have a lot of motors left!

Also Prairie Hill will soon be open for business

No joy on the L3 attempt at Airfest, I'm blaming it on Schurter switches and me having a bad sense of direction. You can get the sordid details on my build thread :facepalm:

Other than that Airfest was a great launch and we really had a good time, If you haven't made it to the rocket pasture yet you need too! It's rocket nirvana.

I didn't fly as many rockets as I planned (the L3 pretty much killed the whole day for me on Saturday) but there is another launch coming up soon I believe somewhere in Oklahoma and I have a lot of motors left!

A White Russian or two ought to do the trick. You'll be back in no time! You could also check out the Whale Sounds compilation..... It always worked for The Dude!

Just and fyi, I'm unable to attend this weekends meeting due to prior commitments. But, feel free to talk rockets without me :).

Just and fyi, I'm unable to attend this weekends meeting due to prior commitments. But, feel free to talk rockets without me :).

Same here...I am obligated to do the annual Dallas Heart Walk with my wife on Saturday. Heck I just did at least a 5K at Airfest

Sorry to hear about the "no joy" on the L3.

The Oklahoma launch is "High Frontier" and is in Pawhuska on 9/24 - 9/25

High Frontier 13

Jacob - I have your 1.4x teleconverter at home. I was going to bring it to the meeting, but I'll hold onto it until our next launch or meeting, whichever comes first.

Sorry to hear about the "no joy" on the L3.

The Oklahoma launch is "High Frontier" and is in Pawhuska on 9/24 - 9/25

High Frontier 13

Thanks Dwayne and congrats on your L3-I know about the High Frontier launch, we went last year and loved it. I was just trying to taunt some of my fellow Texas flyers into making the trip. Are you going?

Poker, any video from the ground of your L3 attempt??

Yeah, but it's not very good. My son took the video and lets just say he needs some practice following rockets. I'll put it up on youtube later if you want to see it. Jacob has photos of the launch but I haven't seen them yet. I'll post those when I get them.

Here is video https://youtu.be/AKQI4q0J_Hk

Last edited:
Okay, thanks. Count us in for Saturday only. Nice time for a bit of a break for my recent crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy grind...

We're having a HP Launch this Saturday (weather permitting) at the Prairie Hill site.

In order for us to have the appropriate pads set up, please notify a DARS officer of any planned high power flights. Since this is our first HP launch at this site, if you don’t provide prior notification, you may not be allowed to fly.

Launch Details:
Date: Saturday, 9-17-2016
Time: 9 am setup, 10am – 5 pm Launch hours
Location: Prairie Hill High Power Field – Follow this link for directions
Altitude Limit: 10,000 ft AGL
Pads Available: Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on flying high power)
Certification: NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level - no exceptions.
Flight Prep: All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.
Registration/Range Fees: FREE Under 18 modroc/sport
$5 Adult modroc/sport
$20 High-Power (non DARS member)
$10 High-Power DARS member
Bathroom Facilities: There is a bathroom on site.
Food/Beverages: I don’t have details on this yet. It is best to bring your own.
Flight Cards: to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field.

I am really sorry to miss Prairie Hill this weekend, but Robin and I have to be somewhere.

Fingers crossed for possible launches on Oct 8 or Oct 15, or I will have to wait until Nov......

Just a heads up. There's a strong possibility we won't be able to attend this weekend due to a few things that came up today. The weather's not looking great anyhow so that might seal the deal anyhow :(.

We are GO! for Saturday. Setup will start 9:30(ish) or whenever I get there with the trailer. Even though I originally published the range running until 5pm, plan on it winding down by 4.

Hey guys. Sorry to disappoint but we'll be unable to attend this Saturday. Some mid week family related things arose that's commanding my time. Most definitely have fun though and take plenty of pictures!!!! I can meet up tomorrow if you need anything. Thank you.

On a side note, I plan to fly my LOC Expediter on a J90W using a JL chute release. I haven't simmed it but I'm thinking around 5500k should be in the right ballpark. I'm also contemplating a sport full scale ARCAS. I've got a thing for the ARCAS rockets and dig the idea of a 4.5" airframe! Where does one find such a thing?

Hey guys. Sorry to disappoint but we'll be unable to attend this Saturday. Some mid week family related things arose that's commanding my time. Most definitely have fun though and take plenty of pictures!!!! I can meet up tomorrow if you need anything. Thank you.

On a side note, I plan to fly my LOC Expediter on a J90W using a JL chute release. I haven't simmed it but I'm thinking around 5500k should be in the right ballpark. I'm also contemplating a sport full scale ARCAS. I've got a thing for the ARCAS rockets and dig the idea of a 4.5" airframe! Where does one find such a thing?

Madcow has some 4.5" G12 fiberglass airframes, although they are currently out of stock. We will be needing a build thread on the Arcas :cool:

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-5-inch-g12-airframe/

We'll have fun at the launch hopefully this field will work out in the long run. But the launch is a no go for me this weekend because I don't have a ride you know kid probs. :( but have fun out at the new field and take a lot of pictures

Well it looks like tomorrow will be a fine day despite the weather forecasts only days ago. Have fun everybody, wish I could be there.

All packed up, should be hitting the road in about an hour. Stoked, haven;t launched in a loooong time.

Back