DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the waiver for Prairie Hill going to be? I've been out of the loop on it.

David

What is the waiver for Prairie Hill going to be? I've been out of the loop on it.

David

I believe 10K was discussed as the initial ceiling. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but I don't know what the ultimately FAA approved alt is.

David

I'm still working on getting permission to use the field and it isn't looking good at the moment. Our waiver is 15K but we were going to limit it to 10K for the first few launches to get a feel for the field.

By now I guess everyone has seen the Yahoo group messages for tomorrows launch. If not, joining the DARS notify group is a few easy clicks away at the bottom of the initial page at www.dars.org We'll try to get a few in before the rain. :)

As in, for this month, or at all?

To the extent you feel it appropriate to share such info, of course.

I just had a very positive conversation with the land manager at Prairie Hill and confidence is high that we will have a launch on the 20th to break the ice and check out the field. I should have a definite go/no go by Monday evening but everything seems to be falling into place nicely. With any luck we will once again have a year round high power field to call our own.

I just had a very positive conversation with the land manager at Prairie Hill and confidence is high that we will have a launch on the 20th to break the ice and check out the field. I should have a definite go/no go by Monday evening but everything seems to be falling into place nicely. With any luck we will once again have a year round high power field to call our own.

:horse::w::cheers:

Thanks you for your efforts on securing us a field.

Good work Jeff Jones! It is a lot of hard work that goes into convincing any land owner to allow the use of his or her land for any activity that is not well understood by the general public. I hope all goes well on the maiden launch and that I can get down there one day when the weather moderates. :cheers:

2-the-dude.jpg

I'm still working on getting permission to use the field and it isn't looking good at the moment. Our waiver is 15K but we were going to limit it to 10K for the first few launches to get a feel for the field.

Ok. I'm (still) collecting parts for my L3 rocket. Rocksim says it's under 12K ft and I would like to be able to fly it near Waco so my Dad can come see it. Sounds like this might work out for me in the near future.

David

Fingers crossed!

I checked drive times for me from the south side of FW.

Time to Prairie Hill is 1:33. Time to Caddo Mills is also 1:33.

Time to Gunter was 1:28. Interesting.

Not going to work out that way for a lot of the DARS members, but not too bad for those in the FW area.

Last edited:
By now I guess everyone has seen the Yahoo group messages for tomorrows launch. If not, joining the DARS notify group is a few easy clicks away at the bottom of the initial page at www.dars.org We'll try to get a few in before the rain. :)

Hope y'all saw the cancellation message last night. :):(

This is great news! Hoping I can work out a plan to for this next weekend. Either way, awesome to hear things are looking up for this site and potentially high power site for DARS.

I probably spaced out, but wasn't the trial launch at Prairie Hill being limited to models??

Well, here we are with a decent chance of a HP launch on Saturday and we get a forecast with an 80% chance of thunderstorms.

Looks like Prairie Hill is on for Saturday, according to the DARS web site, but not as an all up high power launch. Modrocs up to a full G and a suggested altitude of no more that 2500 feet, with this statement in the announcement: "We may try LIMITED class-2 With Prior Authorization!" I guess that means we call or write Jack Sprague and ask if we can do an H or an I motor.

I suppose it is a good idea to "try on" the site like this before going all in.

Weather forcast is looking better with a chance of thunderstorms popping up after 4pm.

Planning on going.

Last edited:
We definitely want to take it slow down there until everyone is comfortable with what we are doing. This is going to be great high power field in the very near future, I think you will agree when you see it.

20160415_135846.jpg

So, who exactly will be granting permission for limited class 2 flights Saturday at Prairie Hill? Based on the posting, it sounds like there would be a waiver to 2500 feet?

I should be able to go. I have a couple of G powered rockets that can stay under the 2500. Sounds like fun seeing how I have not launched in a very long time.

So, who exactly will be granting permission for limited class 2 flights Saturday at Prairie Hill? Based on the posting, it sounds like there would be a waiver to 2500 feet?

Just run it by Jack or myself. The 2500 foot limit will allow for some cool flights without scaring the neighbors before they get to know us. :) The trailer will not be making the trip AFAIK right now. I'll go ahead and issue the "no sparkies" rule for this launch as well. Like Poker said, baby steps now will pay off down the road.

So what time does this dog an pony show begin and it it accessible with a car or is it a park and hike sort of affair?

Just run it by Jack or myself. The 2500 foot limit will allow for some cool flights without scaring the neighbors before they get to know us. :) The trailer will not be making the trip AFAIK right now. I'll go ahead and issue the "no sparkies" rule for this launch as well. Like Poker said, baby steps now will pay off down the road.

Will run some numbers and send you a PM. One would be the 4" x78" red and black (own design) Aquila that you have seen fly a couple of times on an I140, the planned motor. Does about 1800-2000 feet, IIRC.

I have my fingers crossed that we will be able to drive right up and park reasonably close to the range, like at Gunter and Asa and Hearne. No major hauling and toting required....:)

Last edited:
I have my fingers crossed that we will be able to drive right up and park reasonably close to the range, like at Gunter and Asa and Hearne. No major hauling and toting required....:)

Definitely no long hauling required at this field, we will have the range setup right on the back runway. Parking will be very close to the range head and on a firm, flat, smooth surface for a change. As you can see by the pics this will also be a "sparky friendly" field in the future. :w:

20160415_135523.jpg20160415_135501.jpg20160415_135613.jpg

Back