DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it's going to be a terrific day with only a slight breeze and a few clouds. Launch one for me!!

I gotta say I was impressed with the field. I will be eagerly looking forward to the next flight out there. Even though it was unbelievably hot and the hard baked field knocked a fin off my Onyx, I had a great time.

Nice field. Wish we could have made it earlier, but I'll take it.

Here is the on board from my Ventris on an H97J (don't know why the chute release opened):

[video=youtube;17HmOOYAgKo]https://youtu.be/17HmOOYAgKo[/video]

Last edited:
Nice looking site indeed. Man, it did get hot yesterday. I just saw it will be 98 tomorrow! Sheesh.

It was brutally hot yesterday for our inaugural launch at Prairie Hill but this field is going to be great for us. We had a good turn out of about 20 flyers and only one rocket (that I know of because it was mine) was sacrificed to the rocket gods. I Look forward to some cooler temps.

20160917_141817.jpg 20160917_120029.jpg

While it was a little on the warm side, the light winds meant short walks. 2 flights over 6000' had recovery walks of less than 100 yards. Even 2 unintentional main at apogee flights landed less than 100 yards away.

The field is a heck of a find. Thanks again to Annie and Jeff for finding and getting us access to this site.

only one rocket (that I know of because it was mine) was sacrificed to the rocket gods.

One other rocket was sacrificed. I'm not sure what the rocket was, but it looked like a 38mm Go Devil sized rocket. After a slow start, it arced to the NW went fairly sideways. Consensus was that it impacted prior to the ejection charge going off.

One other rocket was sacrificed. I'm not sure what the rocket was, but it looked like a 38mm Go Devil sized rocket. After a slow start, it arced to the NW went fairly sideways. Consensus was that it impacted prior to the ejection charge going off.

The flyer, David, said he loaded the 29-40/120 case so long ago he couldn't remember what was in it, G64 or G80. Pretty sure the rocket was an Arreaux. A young man named Laird lost an Estes Rascal on a C6-see-ya-later motor towards the NW as well. He's in the dark blue shirt in Poker's picture in post #1056. I have it on good authority that the rocket gods were pleased with all of our offerings.

Nice field. Wish we could have made it earlier, but I'll take it.

Here is the on board from my Ventris on an H97J (don't know why the chute release opened):

[video=youtube;17HmOOYAgKo]https://youtu.be/17HmOOYAgKo[/video]

That was an outstanding flight. Glad the premature chute release didn't cost you.

Looks like a great site. I was awfully dang close to coming up and flying with you guys. Problem was I had no motors. Kinda glad I didn't make it because iit was hellalot. Hope ti make up there one day.

While it was a little on the warm side, the light winds meant short walks. 2 flights over 6000' had recovery walks of less than 100 yards. Even 2 unintentional main at apogee flights landed less than 100 yards away.

Wow, that's impressive!

Excited about the reports from Prairie Hill. Sounds awesome.

I actually did get out and launch a few rockets at my local low power site, a large empty field near a school here in South FW.

Was a special ocassion. My son and my 6 year old grandson were visiting for the weekend from Virginia Beach, so I excavated deeply the garage and dug out some of my son and daughters 20 plus year old model rockets. Found some in flyable condition: Estes Dagger, Mongoose, Athena and Bailout. We prepped these old models and loaded these and my much newer Mega Mosquito in the van.

Scott, my grandson Clayton and my daughter Sarah and I got in 5 perfect flights in the fantastic zero wind conditions at 5pm in FW on Sunday. All recoveries were were very short walks, except for the Mega Mosquito, which literally hit the legs of the launch tripod when it landed!

Clayton served as LCO. After a bit of training, he scanning the sky, inserting the safety key, counting down and hitting the button with best of us.

Very special to have three generations out on a perfect day sharing the hobby of model rocketry. Pictures and a personal launch report to come later.

So mid/high power in North Texas through DARS this month? I enjoyed Prairie Hill and would like to go back before the end of the year. Was there any feedback from the land owner? Were they ultimately supportive?

Asa??

Am aware of that calendar, but was hoping for a high power launch update for October after the meeting today. And, sometimes that calendar is not up to date or currently accurate.

Given the contest, we might be booked for the month with no high power...unless the Gunter launch becomes a Prairie Hill launch........

Good news about HP. I'll let others fill in the details..............:horse:

I think Chuck will comment shortly and I'm certain you'll be quite pleased :).

I think Chuck will comment shortly and I'm certain you'll be quite pleased :).

OK, Robert....what made you think we were the patient type??????...;)

Fingers crossed that any HP launch is not on Oct 22, as I am otherwise obligated that day. Highly unlikely anyway, since the contest is that Saturday at Sabine Pass.

Last edited:
As Robert mentioned, we have scheduled a HP launch at Prairie Hill for Saturday, Oct 29. Range hours will be 10-4, ceiling of 10k, M impulse limit. Anything K and larger will need prior notification.

Formal announcement will follow once we have finalized trailer transportation and vendor attendance.

That makes this month's launch schedule:

Oct 8 - outreach with scout troops
Oct 15 - Gunter - modrocs
Oct 22 - Sabine Creek - Bob Wilson Memorial contest (B PD, B SD, B BG (RC recovery allowed), spot landing)
Oct 29 - Prairie Hill - HP (also will be back up date for the contest)

Last edited:
Out of date as of Oct 5th. A launch for Prairie Hill on Oct. 29th has been announced on this site but is not on the official DARS site. The home page shows the next next PH launch on Sept 17. The calendar page is blank for October 29th.

Either the launch is off or someone is a bit behind updating the site.

Tony

Out of date as of Oct 5th. A launch for Prairie Hill on Oct. 29th has been announced on this site but is not on the official DARS site. The home page shows the next next PH launch on Sept 17. The calendar page is blank for October 29th.

Either the launch is off or someone is a bit behind updating the site.

Tony

Tony,

It looks like the DARS site has not been updated yet but the launch is definitely on, I talked to the land owner on Monday and we are good to go.

Tony,

It looks like the DARS site has not been updated yet but the launch is definitely on, I talked to the land owner on Monday and we are good to go.
Jeff,

Excellent news. I've already mentioned it to several folks. Great work on the new launch site. Always good to have a new field, especially one available year round. If only it were closer!

Congrats to all involved,

Tony

Last edited:
The launch this Saturday at Gunter is cancelled, mostly 'cause of the wind forecast.

Nary a drop of rain in Grayson County last night. Looks like I'll have the whole place to myself. :wink:

Back