DARS Launches - Dallas Area Rocket Society

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have two F7s that have been in air conditioned storage for the past 20 years...;) I might join you...:)

That would be a very sweet. Thanks again for being willing to courier this. I plan to burn them all (for better or worse), so we'll all get to watch some motors from days past. I need to start working on a small semi-sacrificial fleet for the FSI and Crown motors (plus those are weird diameters). The Ellis Mtn motors I'm not too worried about.

I've got an F100 that someone gave me back in the day. It appears is was intended as a second stage,but didn't lite. I was thinking of building one the the Apple white saucers for it.

Jack

Chris,

I've got some motors to burn along with you at an "Expired Motors" launch. I've even go the rocket picket out. Spent $1 on it, so I can't say I've got nothing invested in it, but it's a lot cheaper than building anything.

We could get together and have an old school good time with this. Maybe in Asa or Hearne this fall as a Tripoli launch would be the easiest route I guess. That is unless I misunderstand the paperwork requirements for launching expired motors at a NAR launch.

I believe for Tripoli, you can launch an expired motor without any planning. NAR on the other hand requires their blessing before hand. You have to disclose the motor details, the date of flight, location, double the safe distance, etc., and report the motor performance back to them. I don't think it's too big of a deal with a little planning ahead of time and in either case we should be able to fly them with NAR/Tripoli.

Hold on to your hats boys...we have our very own high power field! Jack and I met with the landowner today and surveyed the field and let me just say...it is spectacular. We have to file for the waiver which will take roughly 30 days, we may have a model launch just to try it out on the 30th but don't mark your calendars yet, the word will come from Jack on DARS notify email list about the launch. Man I am pumped up, this field is just what we needed and there is no fear of burn bans here either, we can launch right off of the concrete. More to come.

20160415_135846.jpg

20160415_135523.jpg

20160415_135501.jpg

Sweeeeet! If this is where I think it is, then it's about the same distance from my house as was the Gunter site. And a paved runway too boot! :cheers:

Hold on to your hats boys...we have our very own high power field! Jack and I met with the landowner today and surveyed the field and let me just say...it is spectacular. We have to file for the waiver which will take roughly 30 days, we may have a model launch just to try it out on the 30th but don't mark your calendars yet, the word will come from Jack on DARS notify email list about the launch. Man I am pumped up, this field is just what we needed and there is no fear of burn bans here either, we can launch right off of the concrete. More to come.

Awesome!!! Looking forward to this.

Perhaps I was a bit too optimistic? Nonetheless, I hope this pans out for all you HP enthusiasts.

[video=youtube;QGLtxriizg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGLtxriizg4[/video]

Rebuild!? Dude, I was there, what was there to rebuild?

The gouge in the runway was really cool though.

Rebuild sounds so much better than make all new parts and replace Bob 1.0 that I splattered across the runway in Pawhuska.

Some fun facts and neat pictures: https://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_Waco.htm#prairie

"This airfield was used during WW2 as one of 3 satellite airfields for Waco AAF (20 miles west-southwest),
which was a training center for Army Air Force flight instructors.
The date of construction of the airfield has not been determined.
It was not yet depicted at all on July 1943 Austin Section Chart (courtesy of Richard Doehring).
The earliest depiction of the airfield which has been located
was on the January 1945 Austin Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy).
It labeled the field as "Waco #5"."

I'm not trying to sound greedy, but is the other site still a possibility also?

Also, great work on finding us new digs.
I asked Jack about this yesterday and he doesn't have any new information. After we wrap up the Prairie Hill site I will try to work on getting us the Dorchester site as well.

Oh, and the rumors are true.... I just secured some authentic Kosdon reloads along with some vintage Vulcan motors. Would be cool to do a vintage rocket motor launch.

Hopefully Tom will make it to NARAM as it's not in the cards for me!

I know someone from DARS will be there and my confidence is at least 90% on being there! I really want to go.

Probably depart very early Friday AM to be there for the sport launch weekend and return Monday AM. Not enough free vacation to stay for the week.

I might just look for a good deal on a rental vehicle for that weekend so as to take my elderly 190k miles van out of the equation.

Taxied out at DFW this AM and managed to time it perfectly so that we are waiting by the runway while the storm front passes....:) Am headed to LA to work at the West Coast SAE Aero Design event.

Was sitting here thinking about launching old motors, like Robert mentioned.

Would really be fun to pick a suitable DARS launch after the planned NARAM old motor distribution exercise and get as many old motors there as possible to launch, per the NAR expired motor program or perhaps at a suitable Tripoli launch using their rules.

The entertainment value of launching a dozen or two old FSI motors would be nice, not to mention other fun older motors.

I have two F7s and a pack of 3 FSI E motors...cannot remember which E.

Last edited:
Taxied out at DFW this AM and managed to time it perfectly so that we are waiting by the runway while the storm front passes....:) Am headed to LA to work at the West Coast SAE Aero Design event.

Was sitting here thinking about launching old motors, like Robert mentioned.

Would really be fun to pick a suitable DARS launch after the planned NARAM old motor distribution exercise and get as many old motors there as possible to launch, per the NAR expired motor program or perhaps at a suitable Tripoli launch using their rules.

The entertainment value of launching a dozen or two old FSI motors would be nice, not to mention other fun older motors.

I have two F7s and a pack of 3 FSI E motors...cannot remember which E.

I just added some Centuri 13mm Bs to my order. I Predict a lot of lost (one way or another) rockets at the proposed launch, but it would be serious good times.

Other than Robert and I, has anyone else jumped in on the old motor fire sale (as in priced reasonably enough to actually burn them)?

I asked Jack about this yesterday and he doesn't have any new information. After we wrap up the Prairie Hill site I will try to work on getting us the Dorchester site as well.

That is indeed sweet. Thanks to you, Jack, and anyone else involved in securing the field(s).

Back