DARS HP Launch Feb 28 at Gunter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure. I'm hoping I can get away without them. I might be getting a fly-away rail guide from wfcook, But if not,Do you think it would be possible for you to bring the launch tower out to the launch? I'd really like to see if I can get away without them...

Tentatively, yes. I am doing my L2 that day, so I will be a bit distracted until that is done. I also need to test fit the tower in the van, but I think it will work. Better had, or it will be strapped to the roof rack, and she who must be obeyed (and pits up with a lot already) does not like that idea.

Speaking of...It is done!

Last edited:
Tentatively, yes. I am doing my L2 that day, so I will be a bit distracted until that is done. I also need to test fit the tower in the van, but I think it will work. Better had, or it will be strapped to the roof rack, and she who must be obeyed (and pits up with a lot already) does not like that idea.

Speaking of...It is done!

Okay cool. Just let me know. I'm also getting a custom nose cone from sinfuldarklord so it might actually not be finished by February. I forgot to take that into account. He said it would take a while.

A Hobgoblin sighting! Have you already installed the motor mount. Go with a 75mm if you can. Lot's more options and new 75mm DMS motors coming out as well.

No motor mount install yet and have been seriously considering the 75mm option for future flights and adapting it down for the K550 for the L2 flight and other 54 mm flights.....:)

No motor mount install yet and have been seriously considering the 75mm option for future flights and adapting it down for the K550 for the L2 flight and other 54 mm flights.....:)

I wouldn't hesitate, go with the 75mm (or, even a 98mm...) and you'll have plenty of options. I'll be installing a 98mm mmt in a LOC 5.54" airframe for a longer term project. There are actually a fair amount of 98mm motors that will fly just fine in unglassed LOC parts. The 98's are kind of pricey but I know a guy who knows a guy :).

It must be nice to be able to write off HP flights as "advertising".

On a related note, I too will be selling rocket motors on site at DARS launches. I will have one A8-3 for sale for $2. I will be drawing attention to my efforts by launching high power rockets. This is actually better than Robert's business model, as I assume he is making a profit and having to pay taxes. I will be losing tremendously, and as such achieving a net tax deduction. Dang I feel smart.

On a related note, I too will be selling rocket motors on site at DARS launches. I will have one A8-3 for sale for $2. I will be drawing attention to my efforts by launching high power rockets. This is actually better than Robert's business model, as I assume he is making a profit and having to pay taxes. I will be losing tremendously, and as such achieving a net tax deduction. Dang I feel smart.

Now that's an idea. However, be careful not to do that too much or you'll be carrying that loss forward for years..... That would probably take a truckload of A8's at $2 a piece though. Or, maybe not, there is something to be said about product density....

A few of you have asked about Q2G2's in bulk packs. I inquired about these last week and confirmed that they were no longer available and this was again confirmed by another vendor on that forum. So,

[video=youtube;TLfmEZYdtrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfmEZYdtrY[/video]

We ought to start a DARS chat thread over in the Watering Hole. We tend to take the launch threads on off topic journeys....:)

Robert, I did get a 75mm motor mount and parts for a 54mm motor adapter for the Hobgoblin. So, one of these days, I will darken your door to get a 75mm motor....;)

Probably can't use it to cert L3 as well as L2 it is not being done under the scrutiny of the L3 advisors, but could fly it L3 after I do a another rocket to cert L3.

I did get a full length of 8" sono tube the other day......

Nice move on going with the 75mm mmt.

8" sono tube? Nice.

Dear GOD,

Can you please do something about the recent string of clear, virtually wind-less MONDAYS ? They are annoying and depressing, especially when combined with excessive wind and rain on the weekends. I know you have alot on your plate but if you could add this to your priority list I, and many others I'm sure, would be very grateful.

Thanks for listening,

Sam

Rocket guy's think alike it seems. I can't think of how many good to great weekdays we've had, and even weekends, with it all to be undermined at go time...

We ought to start a DARS chat thread over in the Watering Hole.

No! That is the bitchiest place in TRF. Let's keep this as our peaceful on/off-topic corner of TRF. Even Ted gets along here. :wink:

Really though, is it launch day yet? If this one gets cancelled for weather I'm gonna get the shakes.

No! That is the bitchiest place in TRF. Let's keep this as our peaceful on/off-topic corner of TRF. Even Ted gets along here. :wink:

Really though, is it launch day yet? If this one gets cancelled for weather I'm gonna get the shakes.

LOL!

Even George would have to laugh at that one!

I was thinking about the possibility of withdrawal just this morning. Looks like it's going to be windy at Asa this weekend so I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to go :y:.

Works for me! We will keep the thread wandering around in here.

An L2 flight is looking less likely for me on Feb 28. Working is piling up on me and I have a lot to get done before a business trip to FL from March 8-15.

My work pace will likely slow down in mid April, just in time for the worst of the spring winds.....:)

I still have lots to fly on the 28th. Just nothing new HP wise.

Works for me! We will keep the thread wandering around in here.

An L2 flight is looking less likely for me on Feb 28. Working is piling up on me and I have a lot to get done before a business trip to FL from March 8-15.

My work pace will likely slow down in mid April, just in time for the worst of the spring winds.....:)

I still have lots to fly on the 28th. Just nothing new HP wise.

No Hobgoblin on a K :cry:?

Hey Tom, where you gonna be then? You'd miss the TTRA launch on the 21st, of course, but could make NEFAR on the 14th...

I am hitting LM MFC for a visit early in the week and then taking some vacation to help put on the Lockheed Martin sponsored SAE Aero Design event right there in Lakeland, FL. I am on the Aero Design rules committee and I direct the events when they are held here in Fort Worth. This event runs from early Friday March 13 until just before my flight on Sunday, March 15, so no rocketry for me that weekend....:(

This is a college team competition event where 75 teams from all over the world design, build, fly and produce written and oral presentations on RC aircraft that compete in how much and how well they can carry various types and amounts of payload.

Link to event info:

https://students.sae.org/cds/aerodesign/

it is quite interesting and often entertaining to see the teams try to fly RC aircraft when some of the teams have little or no experience with RC aircraft....;)

I am hitting LM MFC for a visit early in the week and then taking some vacation to help put on the Lockheed Martin sponsored SAE Aero Design event right there in Lakeland, FL. I am on the Aero Design rules committee and I direct the events when they are held here in Fort Worth. This event runs from early Friday March 13 until just before my flight on Sunday, March 15, so no rocketry for me that weekend....:(

This is a college team competition event where 75 teams from all over the world design, build, fly and produce written and oral presentations on RC aircraft that compete in how much and how well they can carry various types and amounts of payload.

Link to event info:

https://students.sae.org/cds/aerodesign/

it is quite interesting and often entertaining to see the teams try to fly RC aircraft when some of the teams have little or no experience with RC aircraft....;)

Wow, that's cool. My alma mater participates in this event. If I recall the first time was back in 2000 or there about when I was a senior. Definitely 10x cooler than the omnipresent mini baja car. But, certainly not as cool as the Hybrid Rocket Design Team that I lead....

mvc-343f.jpg

Wow, that's cool. My alma mater participates in this event. If I recall the first time was back in 2000 or there about when I was a senior. Definitely 10x cooler than the omnipresent mini baja car. But, certainly not as cool as the Hybrid Rocket Design Team that I lead....

View attachment 254113

What college/university was that?

If they are still doing the event, I can tell you if they recently enjoyed the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat or somewhere in between...;)

Happy to see that. If I recall, Igraduated with the guy who started the first team. His name was Caleb I'm pretty sure. He and I were mavericks really. The predominant program in place was the SAE Mini Baja thing. There was something like 2 teams with 10+ students on each team. I thought it was pretty lame given the workload and number of people to take it on, especially in light of being able to rely on prior years work.

We got things airborne at school I guess you could say :).

Do we actually have 3 weeks until the next launch???????? I've either forgotten how to read a calendar or maybe I was a bit too eager...

Back