Cutting Up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Kind of a stupid question, but here goes... What do you prefer to use to cut centering rings and transitions out of paper with, scissors or knife? I'm working on a project where I need to make a lot of both (a boat load of boat tails?). I don't have a circle cutter (for paper), and I can't find my good compass to use the cutter blades with it (I think Hornet Driver's tool gnomes have it). Each tool has its advantages/disadvantages, and with my poor eyesight, I'm not sure which is better.

Kind of a stupid question, but here goes... What do you prefer to use to cut centering rings and transitions out of paper with, scissors or knife? I'm working on a project where I need to make a lot of both (a boat load of boat tails?). I don't have a circle cutter (for paper), and I can't find my good compass to use the cutter blades with it (I think Hornet Driver's tool gnomes have it). Each tool has its advantages/disadvantages, and with my poor eyesight, I'm not sure which is better.

There are a number of Knife blades the fit standard Compass lead retainers. and a few specialty compass tools specifically for cutting circles in paper and cardstock. I picked these up at craft stores like Micheals and AC Moore, and drafting supply places on-line but Can't find the link at the moment. All Three types below should still be available.
Hope the attached photos help a little

Circle cutters-a1-sm_beam, and 2 compass types.jpg

Circle cutters-a2_3in Compass Flat spare Blades_06-20-05.jpg

Circle cutters-a3_ Stl Blade Std Drafting Compass_06-20-05.jpg

Circle cutters-a4_Stl Blade vs std graphite Lead_06-20-05.jpg

Circle cutters-b1_6in Olaf Beam Compass & Blades_03-04-03.jpg

A knife, assuming a reasonably sharp blade will give you a sharper cut than scissors will. I have both in my range box, but can't think of the last time I used scissors...

I favor the Olfa circle cutters over the drafting compass type ones...have been known to use a sharp knife freehand, but that's much slower and you have to be steady. A cutting mat is pretty much essential either way. There are 3 different Olfa cutters, see https://www.olfa.com/CircleCuttersList.aspx?C=15. I like the CMP-3 "rotary circle cutter" with the floating handle and rotary blade which will do 1.5 to 8.75". In my mind the rotary blade is a big win as it virtually eliminates risk of tearing the material and allows use on fabric. The CMP-2 will cut bigger circles up to 12" but won't go below 3". The inexpensive CMP-1 will go below 1" but it's less sturdy than the others and does not have a rotary blade. The one in John's photo looks like an older version of the CMP-1. There are also some knockoffs; I have a couple but always use the Olfas which probably tells you something.

Last edited:
Back