CTI Discussion Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are any of the CTI 24 mm F reloads able to ship without an extra hazmat charge now that the shipping regulations have been reexamined?

No. They were never based on the propellant mass. They include HAZ items in the ignitor system, so even the smallest CTI motors require HAZ shipping.
The current igniters for the majority of CTI motors are MJG e-matches, which do not require HAZ shipping, just ground. Do you mean the pellet in the top grain? If I recall correctly that's BP, which in that amount is unlikely to require HAZ. I'm pretty sure it is the propellant Mass combined with the packaging.

What have I missed? Seems like CTI motors are unavailable just like the super model girlfriend I don't have. :dontknow:
There's been a lot of discussion about this in the past dozen pages or so. CTI has apparently been slow to ship hobby motors, and vendors are more or less willing to deal with them depending on their situation. AMW seems to have the most reliable motor stocks. There are also some propellant formulations that are hard to find since an ingredient used to make them is unobtanium.

There's been a lot of discussion about this in the past dozen pages or so. CTI has apparently been slow to ship hobby motors, and vendors are more or less willing to deal with them depending on their situation. AMW seems to have the most reliable motor stocks. There are also some propellant formulations that are hard to find since an ingredient used to make them is unobtanium.
One of my dealers in Canada gets 2 large shipments a year from CTI. Currently, they have next to no 38mm stock and the 54mm stock is hit-and-miss for availability. 29mm stock is very low on 3 and 6 grain motors. But then again, few people fly in the winter so stock shortage isn't really a big deal but come spring it potentially could be. That's also when they expect their first shipment of the year coming in and probably higher prices.

One of my dealers in Canada gets 2 large shipments a year from CTI. Currently, they have next to no 38mm stock and the 54mm stock is hit-and-miss for availability. 29mm stock is very low on 3 and 6 grain motors. But then again, few people fly in the winter so stock shortage isn't really a big deal but come spring it potentially could be. That's also when they expect their first shipment of the year coming in and probably higher prices.
One of our big dealers in the US still hasn’t received orders from CTI from last year🤷

AMW has a good stock of CTI motors. The inventory status on our website is correct, showing the quantity on hand right now:
CHECK CTI STOCK HERE.

We were told that CTI now has all of the supplies/ingredients in stock to make most of the propellant types, including IMAX. AMW/Prox has a large order partially processed, waiting to be completed for shipment to us in AZ soon. We also have a new order pending for mostly 75/98 motors and hardware to support the Spaceport Cup.

So, do not listen to the rumors spread by other dealers who may not be willing to wait and cooperate with CTI. The only delay now is the large backlog of orders and their overly busy employees who are also working on large commercial/government commitments.

Hello Bob! This is Steve from Tripoli Netherlands and I am finishing the construction of my Terminator-5 fiberglass rocket with plans to launch this 19 Nov 2023 on a Pro54 2014 K1200-16A White Thunder 5 grain which I purchased specifically for the first launch of this rocket - it has a manufacture date of 27 July 2022. But I'm seeing on this discussion thread (page 35 onward from May 2023 to present) that there are perhaps major issues with this motor (nozzle and/or forward closure burn-through).

Can you update here on this situation and whether the motors I have (K1200 5 grain but also a 4 grain Pro54 1633 K940-18 White Thunder also with 27 July 2022 manufacture date) are OK or whether I should return these motors or what to do?

Thanks very much! Love the Cesaroni products which I've used since my Level 2 launch in October 2009!!

Stephen Monday 6 November 2023
I flew one of these at ROC in November, no issues at all.

Cerving -- Thanks for the reply!! Our Autumn launches got postponed (European rain!) but my next attempt will be March 2024. Now thinking I'll do the first launch with a 4 grain -- a Pro54 1633 K940 White Thunder and then the next launch with the Pro54 2014 K1200-16A White Thunder 5 grain. Thanks for the feedback!

[And then the thought is to move to a 2 grain Pro75 - but my hardware is a 4 grain casing and 2 spacers… not sure that's the best configuration - our club is looking at a sharing / renting scheme rather than always everyone purchasing hardware - so I may be able to use a Pro75 2-grain motor casing].

Steve Wednesday 13 December 2023

AMW has a good stock of CTI motors. The inventory status on our website is correct, showing the quantity on hand right now:
CHECK CTI STOCK HERE.

We were told that CTI now has all of the supplies/ingredients in stock to make most of the propellant types, including IMAX. AMW/Prox has a large order partially processed, waiting to be completed for shipment to us in AZ soon. We also have a new order pending for mostly 75/98 motors and hardware to support the Spaceport Cup.

So, do not listen to the rumors spread by other dealers who may not be willing to wait and cooperate with CTI. The only delay now is the large backlog of orders and their overly busy employees who are also working on large commercial/government commitments.
Wish you were still on the East Coast Robert. Hazmat and shipping are a real killer shipping to the east coast. You are missed. Happy New Year and Cindi says Hi..

What's the nozzle exit diameter on an L585 Imax? Nozzle dimensions aren't included with the 75mm case drawings I've found, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

I have been thinking of switching away from high power aerotech DMS motors and using more of the G,H,I range reloads. I have heard lots of issues with the pro38 and pro54 with closure failures and motor cato's. Are these issues showing up in the pro29 range as well?

I have heard lots of issues with the pro38 and pro54 with closure failures and motor cato's. Are these issues showing up in the pro29 range as well?
I've never had a problem. Super simple assembly and trouble free performance, that's all I need from them. 👍

If you fly enough of anybody's motors you will have some cato's. Nature of the beast. I had a G33 29/3G cato in an Estes Saturn V and pretty much blew it in half, still on the pad. I'd fly another one... just because one cato's doesn't mean they all will.

Biggest problem with CTI 29mm stuff over the last year or so is my local motor guy's inventory. He's gotten at least one good shipment of 38mm.

For G range loads, it's hard to beat the AT 29/40-120 case. Moving into H & I, I think the same about AT RMS HP cases.

I have been thinking of switching away from high power aerotech DMS motors and using more of the G,H,I range reloads. I have heard lots of issues with the pro38 and pro54 with closure failures and motor cato's. Are these issues showing up in the pro29 range as well?
I fly a lot of F, G, and H in 24 and 29mm and have never had an issue with the smaller motors. They are very easy to prep and clean in the field, which is nice if your launch days are limited. Both the 24 and 29 have the O-rings inside the black liner so they're not touching the casing. There was a theory running around that sliding the O-rings all the way up the case may be what's causing the problems in long 38's and 54's.

@scschulte My apologies I only just saw your thread /question. In the past year (2023) I have flown CTI 4G K445, K454 and K400 without problems. I understand that other fliers on this forum seem to report more or less continuous problems with Cesaroni motors, particularly Pro54s. Why they continue to fly CTI if every launch is a cato is not mine to reason why...All I can say is that has not been my experience. For some years Aerotech were not available in the UK, and I flew CTI Pro38 and Pro54 exclusively 2015 - 2022.During many, many flights I had 2 x Pro 38 catos and 1x Pro54. Since 2022 I have flown AT 54mm and 38s, and had 1 x cato (a 54/1280 J800). I don't claim any statistical value to this anecdote, but I would say this: where I live CTI hardware is lighter and cheaper, and in terms of 54mm 4 Grain / 1706, nothing AT offers beats the CTI K740. I enjoy flying both brands for different reasons. I bought AT hardware because I fancied the challenge of assembling motor grains, and to widen my experience of the hobby, not because I thought AT were inherently better or more reliable than CTI. As another poster pointed out, rocketry always carries risk.

Flown lots of CTI 4G motors, last a K740C* with no problems. Don't use motor ejection. Have another loaded for next weekend's launch.

The current AMWProx.com online stock status is up-to-date for CTI motors. We have the largest stock of CTI products in the US at this time.

CTI has told dealers not to expect ANY shipments of reloads or hardware until at least October.

AMW is no longer accepting pre-orders for any CTI products for delivery at the Spaceport Cup, or otherwise. If your team was counting on CTI reloads (other than stocked items), contact AMW for alternative motors from Aerotech. The deadline for ordering non-stock Aerotech motors is March 15 (as published by Aerotech).

Yes, October 2024 at the earliest for any CTI product, not only the ones with supply chain issues.
Yikes, I'm glad I picked up some AT hardware. Hopefully they are working on the kinks and will return to market stronger than ever...seems a really long lead time though.

Does anyone know if any commercial motors have magnesium in them? Which motor designations and manufacturers would be helpful. Thanks!

I see that you posted this in three places. Just curious, why do you want to know about magnesium in commercial propellant?
A college team I work with would like to know because the school’s fire chief needs to know if he will allow magnesium in their magazine.

Back