Contention

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it's the never-ending, excessive summer heat getting to people. I've just found myself reading through several threads this evening that turned into contentious, personal back-and-forth between members. Not all this week, but over the past couple months. "Conversations" I've somehow missed. Maybe I have just been clicking on things I would normally bypass because of the excess wait times that air travel enforces. But dang, the forum recently doesn't seem like the overall friendly place I've enjoyed for the past year. Weird.

Yes people need to be more thoughtful on the forum. Remember, what you wright, EVERYONE sees.

Very weird. Agreed.

I've only been here for a few months, but I am a veteran of Internet forums.

I've already had to block one member and have ignored many threads.

I liken it to road rage, you bump into somebody and they're like oh excuse me man, I wasn't looking where I was going.. but you put that same person behind the wheel and they're out for blood.

Don't feed the trolls.

Educate in your answers, don't belittle someone because they had it wrong. Remember, even people with hardly any knowledge about rocketry and are just starting to get into the hobby are just as welcome on this forum. We don't want to scare them off or make it seem like rocketry isn't for them.
I agree, don't feed the trolls.

I've just found myself reading through several threads this evening that turned into contentious, personal back-and-forth between members.
Moderators can’t and don’t read every post. If you see something that could be construed as contentious or a personal attack, report it. No harm done either way and it brings it to the immediate attention of the moderators.

Also report suspicious activity- there was someone on the forum who got banned because he was telling everyone that this Backy or Becky person has things to sell but it was a scam.

I'd like to think its the direction we are heading.. I feel we are all getting quite divided due to major influences in our lives, be it social media, the news, opinions, politics, etc.. we all seem to be getting rather aggressive towards each other as that is becoming the new normal.

Also, its easy to hide behind an avatar & a nick name.

Of course, someone might respond with a quick reply, that is quickly taken out of context, as it was a quick 'correction' reply. Since we don't have any method to convey emotion or feeling / inflection, it can come across as mean / derogatory..

Of course there are a few who "insist" their view is right, and get testy when others point out they may be wrong.. and yes, there are a few "trolls" on the site..

I'd like to think its the direction we are heading.. I feel we are all getting quite divided due to major influences in our lives, be it social media, the news, opinions, politics, etc.. we all seem to be getting rather aggressive towards each other as that is becoming the new normal.

Also, its easy to hide behind an avatar & a nick name.

Of course, someone might respond with a quick reply, that is quickly taken out of context, as it was a quick 'correction' reply. Since we don't have any method to convey emotion or feeling / inflection, it can come across as mean / derogatory..

Of course there are a few who "insist" their view is right, and get testy when others point out they may be wrong.. and yes, there are a few "trolls" on the site..
Exactly.

People need to be a little more careful of the way what they say comes across. Half of the "mean comments" could be avoided by slight rewording or even a smiley face at the end.

I’m amazed at how civil the political-ish discussions are here compared to other forums.

Most forums I’ve found prohibit anything approaching political comments because it’s just not manageable. No recent changes in those forums, political discussions have always tended to devolve, so they’re just off limits. Which is fine with me, I’d like to avoid negative feelings toward other rocketeers because of something that has nothing to do with our hobby.

Also, as some people feel the need to answer more aggressively, people who simply enjoy having conversations about their hobby distance themselves from the forum. My ignored member list has become longer and I spend less time here. I’m just going to go turn off automatic payments now.

I'll pay for your next round of membership if you promise to stick around and share your knowledge, common sense, and good vibes on TRF.

Back