Competition/duration rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
In reading the lastest issue of Sport Rocketry, I've been really impressed and interested in the NARAM competitions. As I understand these events are extremely competitive - even cut throat. I also see that there seems to be some "boiler plate" or standard configurations being used.

Is there any vendor that carries the highly competitive rockets? I understand that even these rockets are highly modified or finished, but I wanted a starting point.

It really depends on what competition event you are interested in. There are **many**...

For 1/4A, 1/2A and A Streamer Duration, FlisKits has the Cougar 440 and Cougar 660 (as mentioned by Rob) (NOTE: *both* of these models are 13mm, the only difference is the diameter of the body and, hence, the size of the streamer used (either 4" X 40" or 6" X 60"))

The cougar designs have won many competitions over the years having first flown at WUBBA in PA back in the early 80's

Either one can also be converted to parachute duration, though you may wish to increase the body tube length.

I have also see the Cougar 660 converted to 18mm (A, B, C events) wiht a longer body tube and work wonderfully.

In addition to that, FlisKits will be producing a competition grade helecopter recovery model in early 2006 (our goal is to have it out several months before NARAM). The particular design that we are kitting up has won contests the world over and has even set a record or two in the past.

I should also point out that most competition models are scratch built and/or made from heavily modified kits, as every competitor has their own ideas of what gives them the competative edge :)

good luck!
jim

AK, if you want to try your hand at competitions, we are planning to have a another contest in February. It's all multi round, thus the theme "multi round madness". John Buckley is the contest director and SLRA resident contest guru. Here's the list of events and weight factor.

A BG MR 22
1/4A PD MR 11
B HD MR 25
1/2A SD MR 12
RDD 10

to translate:
A Boost Glide Multi Round
1/4A Parachute Duration Multi Round
B Helicopter Duration Multi Round
1/2 A Streamer Duration Multi Round
Random Duration

Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I can always count on Jim to have something I "need".

Are there any message boards, etc. that talk about competition rockets? I realize there's a learning curve, but I'd like to be as far ahead as possible - come the first go.

Originally posted by akpilot
Are there any message boards, etc. that talk about competition rockets? I realize there's a learning curve, but I'd like to be as far ahead as possible - come the first go.

There is the contestroc group on yahoo:

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/contestRoc/

Which is pretty much the center of contest discussion activity as far as I know.

Peters thanks for responding to my post. I've subscrirbed to the group and am looking forward to reading all I can find.

AKPilot

The NAR website has a small free online library of competition designs that can get you started.

Thanks Powderburner.

My next search has to do with finding "waferglass" and forming "velium".

Originally posted by akpilot
My next search has to do with finding "waferglass" and forming "velium".

Vellum is drafting paper. You can probably find it at your local office supply store. It comes in rolls like 24, 36, 48 inches wide, and various lengths. Sometimes you can find it in tablet form where the sheets are more like 8 1/2 x 11, or 11 x 17. You don't get much of a choice of thickness, although I understand that you can now get vellums that are tinted in quite a few colors (why you would want pink drafting paper, I just can't figure out).

Vellum is a semi-transparent paper, so that you can overlay a new piece on top of an old drawing and see through. It is a high quality paper and has fairly high strength (to stand up to the abuses of being drawn on with hard leads). It takes glues well and pretty much can be worked like many other paper products.

There are a few contest model plans, mostly Rocket Gliders (Stiletto and Xebec) and helicopters (Rotaroc), on my website:

https://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/gcghome.htm

More importantly, on my site I archived the NARAM-46 event tips I created for the NARAM-46 website. You'll see the link for it on the home page (photo with yellow striped tent). While the tips are about the specific events held at that NARAM, a lot of the tips are applicable for other power classes. And a lot of the tips are generically useful. In addition, there are a number of links to various vendors, some of which have contest-specific useful supplies and some contest-useful kits.

- George Gassaway

Back