Clear Coat Tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateB

Reaction score
I have not used clear coat very much and could use some tips for spraying it from a rattle can.

I found it difficult to see going on. I was using light coats, trying to judge wet from too wet. I got sags in some places way quicker than I expected and other places to was lighter than I expected and I immediately sanded into the color.

I know I need to get a feel for how the paint lays down. Is there anything I can do to help see the layer? I normally spray outdoors, in the sun.

I have not used clear coat very much and could use some tips for spraying it from a rattle can.

I found it difficult to see going on. I was using light coats, trying to judge wet from too wet. I got sags in some places way quicker than I expected and other places to was lighter than I expected and I immediately sanded into the color.

I know I need to get a feel for how the paint lays down. Is there anything I can do to help see the layer? I normally spray outdoors, in the sun.

The answer depends largely on the brand of the Clear coat paint that you are using.
Some brands layer thicker than others, some dry quicker than others, some run more than others.

The principle is the same - spray light coats, let dry, apply another coat. Until you get uniform shiny (or matte) coat.
The difference comes in the amount of time required between each coat, and the amount of paint you can apply per coat.

If you paid <$5/can (Rusto or Krylon), you are likely working with a more runny, longer drying paint, and more unpredictable spraying nozzles. Even if you think you had missed a spot, you have to wait 20-30 minutes (in the summer, longer in the winter) before you go back with another coat. If you rush it, it will run, and then you have to wait 1-2 hours before the paint dries enough for the ripples to be sanded down. Then start from the beginning.

If you are working with more expensive Lacquer paints (e.g.: Duplicolor, Tamiya), they will dry quicker (2-5 minutes), and tend to be less runny.
These, however, are more expensive.

Better lighting. Here is a pic of my paint booth, in a 10' x 13' room I have 10 4' lights. There are no shadows in the booth. The other pic shows a repair I am doing on a tube. You can see the shiny, smooth part easy, and the rough part is where the paint is feathered out.

Attachments

• lights 001.JPG
    lights 001.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 45
  • lights 002.JPG
    lights 002.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 45
I do a pattern of many short zigs and zags starting from one end of the rocket and slowly making my way to the other, while making sure all the U-turns miss the rocket.

1AF03C89-B496-41FE-98FA-00D5A24D3A03.jpeg

For a 4-fin rocket, I do this 4 times, keeping track of which fin I’m facing.

I repeat at least once when it’s dry. For the matte Rust-O I use, I found that the feeling to the touch is quite different after a clear coated surface has been added.

Thanks everyone. Lighting might be my biggest problem, since I could not even see the coating as I was spraying it on. I'll try a few different things the next time I hse clear coat. I don't really want to build a spray booth in my garage right now, but a tent might be an option.

Nate, I have actually used a flashligh before. When held at the correct angle it will light up everything as you spray. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Lighting might be my biggest problem, since I could not even see the coating as I was spraying it on. I'll try a few different things the next time I hse clear coat. I don't really want to build a spray booth in my garage right now, but a tent might be an option.

Have you considered using one of these?
Pop-Up Spray Booth

It might allow you to spray indoors and gain the help of directional lighting.

I thinking your wall mounted lights (excessive) could be blinded you. One good thing about clear coat vs paint....usually you can wipe a drip or run and there is no finish problem....but last month I did have an issue with a wipe but that is one of a few times. Also, paint and clear coat, I found Krylon goes on more even or thinner, unfortunately Stores (HD and Walmart) have move away from it to the Rustleom empire.

With the temps these days, painting outdoors will get your stuff to dry rapidly. My primer coats were drying so fast I was worried they wouldn't have time to set properly.

Have you considered using one of these?
Pop-Up Spray Booth

It might allow you to spray indoors and gain the help of directional lighting.

That small spray booth looks like it would work well without sacrificing garage space.

Lighting might have been my issue. It was overcast last evening and I could see where the clear was laying down much easier and was able to get the light coats I wanted without the sags.

Back