Clarkson University Rocketry Club's First Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnp

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've lurked both TRF and the Australian rocketry forums for a while now, and only posted occasionally. Since our launch which would have been tomorrow got delayed, I figured I'd do a writeup of the rocket we've been working on the past few weeks. This is our first rocket truly built as a club. Conman13 and I started the club when I was a freshman and he was a senior. Since then we've grown to about 40 members, but 15 or so active. Towards the end of this semester, I figured it would be more prudent to just fly one big rocket as a club instead of having everyone fly a smaller L1. The larger rocket could be built cheaper, look more impressive to the university, and still give everyone a chance to learn about building high powered rockets. We're still looking for funding so money is tight, we need to maximize our return for each flight.

The Design:

The rocket was designed to fly on a range of high performance 54mm motors, while not breaking the 18k foot waiver at the Tripoli field nearest us (URRG). Both 3 and 4 inch airframes were considered, but 3 inch was settled on since it would use fewer consumables and perform better on the 54mm motors we would be flying. A simple 2-break dual deploy system was decided upon, since it's simple and reliable. The nosecone, airframe, coupler, and motor tube are all filament wound fiberglass from Wildman. The fins and centering rings were cut out of carbon fiber plate we made in our lab.

Screenshot (23).png

The first flight of the rocket is going to be on a CTI K1200 motor. It is a 5 grain motor, and produces 307 lbs of thrust for 1.7 seconds. Since this is a fairly aggressive motor for a rocket that weighs 4.4 lbs empty, I figured a thrust ring and flanged motor retainer would be appropriate. Anodized aluminum is also pretty so that's a plus.

Screenshot (26).png

Screenshot (25).png

Structures:

Fiberglass was a natural choice for the airframe of this rocket. It's strong enough for the velocities and accelerations we're expecting, RF transparent, and readily available. Our airframe, couplers, motor tube, and nosecone are all filament wound fiberglass from Wildman. The fins and centering rings were all cut from custom made carbon fiber plate on our university's waterjet. Lead-in's were drilled to avoid delamination of the carbon fiber. The plates were laminated from 13 layers of 0/45/0 2k plain weave cloth and HTR-212 laminating epoxy, and cured under vacuum for 12 hours. They came out to 0.091" thick, and ring like a sheet of metal. All the bonding on this rocket was done with either Hysol E120-HP or JB Weld 5-minute epoxy. The 5-minute epoxy was used for tacking the fins on, as well as the nuts to hold the thrust plate on. The E120-HP was used to bond the centering rings, the fillets, and couplers.

Avionics:

For our avionics, we decided to go with an all-in-one flight computer and tracker. We settled on the AIM XTRA since I'd used it in the past and had good results. The AIM can also do live telemetry, has a 200 G vertical accelerometer, and the GPS has proved to be fairly precise. We're not using a redundant altimeter, but have redundant ejection charges, and a backup CSI radio tracker. Power was originally supposed to be supplied by two 9v batteries, but we decided to use two 2s 200 mAh lipos instead. Switching will be handled by two screw switches mounted to the sled. I like the screw switches for their simplicity and reliability. The avionics will be mounted on a sled 3D printed on my Sovol SV-01 printer.

Recovery:

Recovery will be handled by a dual deployment system controlled by the AIM XTRA. The redundant ejection charges will be the surgical tubing type, to ensure that they function properly at any altitude. There's 20 feet of 7/16 Kevlar shock cord between both sections, connected with 1/4" quick links. The drogue is a Spherachutes small Apex, and the main is a standard 48" Spherachute. URRG is a fairly large field, but it's still easy to lose rockets out there, so I wanted to get it down as a fast as reasonably possible.

With all the specifics out of the way, here's the build so far:

The two orientations of carbon fiber cloth, peel ply, vacuum film, and breather cloth cut

IMG_2788.jpg

The layup in the bag. My vacuum tape technique wasn't the greatest, but it's improved since

63841672222__02C6D0E5-922C-4DA2-AACF-B5FBFDC04F87.jpg

The finished plate. Came out to just a hair under 0.091"

IMG_2800.jpg

The cut fins

IMG_2937.jpg

All the parts washed and laid out

IMG_2873.jpg

Bonding the coupler into the nosecone

IMG_2890.jpg

Will continue in second post! Reached photo upload limit

Attachments

• Screenshot (24).png
    Screenshot (24).png
    178.4 KB · Views: 0
Centering rings and shock cord epoxied onto motor tube. All joints were wet sanded with 60 grit sandpaper beforehand, and then cleaned with acetone and lintless cloth. Parts were only handled with gloves to prevent transfer of oils.

image1.jpg

Motor mount bonded into airframe. Unforuntately, epoxy dripped on the thrust ring so it is now permanently mounted, but at least the retainer can still be removed. Rail button mounts were also bonded in

IMG_2935.jpg

The front centering ring was bonded with this jury-rigged E120-HP mixing nozzle. A paper straw was secured to the end of the nozzle with vacuum tape to allow us to reach the front centering ring

IMG_2939.jpg

Cleaning the slots with acetone before tacking fins

IMG_2942.jpg

Fin tacked on with 5-minute epoxy and secured in 3D printed alignment jig. The tape is probably overkill, but I figured it wouldn't hurt

IMG_2943.jpg

Fin section taped off for fillets. Root area was sanded with 60 grit, and then cleaned with acetone and a lintless cloth. The lines were marked with a piece of 1" steel round stock. The E120-HP was put under a vacuum and then let to set for 20 minutes before application and shaping of the fillet

IMG_2956.jpg

Pulled the tape after about 3 hours

IMG_2959.jpg

Had the avionics bay caps machined by the machine shop out of 6061-T6

IMG_2948.jpg

The assembled avionics bay

IMG_2958.jpg

One more post!

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    609.2 KB · Views: 5
Here's the Solidworks assembly of the avionics bay. It hasn't been changed to reflect the switch from 9v to lipo yet

Screenshot (22).png

Screenshot (21).png

This is the first printed version of the sled. It fits the 9v and locknuts perfectly, but unfortunately the through-holes for the all-thread were printed too small. I successfully drilled one out with a hand-drill but it was more work than just printing a new one

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

I'll have more updates as we approach the launch date!

David

Any chance that you could add a backup system? Since your posts seem to indicate your team has not flown many high power rockets before, adding a backup system might be a good investment. A stratologger or similar system runs about $60, so relative to your sunk cost its a pretty cheap add to double your chances of a good outcome. Its still not guaranteed to have a good outcome, but chances are increased.

How are you sizing and containing your ejection charges? This is a critical step that I don't see documented in the thread.

No offense, but I'm now personally skeptical of student led teams. Recently at a club that shall not be named, a student IREC team had a terrifying failure. They flew a 6inch diameter, 12ft tall, 50lb fiberglass rocket to 11,000ft on an N-motor. They had redundant electronics, but contained their ejection charges with hand-made duct tape containers. The altimeters did their job, but the duct tape containers did not. There was no event at apogee, and this 50lb rocket came screaming down from 11,000ft.

Does your team have a mentor?

Last edited:
I actually already have a Stratologger CF, SL100, and an Eggtimer. The issue is I don't have the interface cable to program any of them. I don't think they'd arrive in time for the launch if I were to order them. Ideally I'd want to increase our chances of recovery through whatever means necessary, so maybe I'll try and get a hold of one of those cables.

The preliminary ejection charges sizing was done using an online calculator, accounting for the two 2-56 nylon shear pins as well. I'm not sure how close the quantity it gave me is (0.4g) but we're planning on doing ground testing so we'd find out either way. The ejection charges are going to be surgical tubing zip tied closed on both ends with an e-match and bp inside. These types of charges have been flown by many people to very high altitude and have proved to be reliable.

I'm also typically skeptical of student-led teams, as I've been involved in HPR long enough to see the difference in quality between what people here do and what most student teams do. I'm a mechanical engineering student, so I understand it from that standpoint as well. I also understand, however, the difficulty of tight budgets and expensive components and materials.

Our club has two faculty advisors, but neither have experience with rocketry. I'm currently the clubs primary advisor. I've flown up to L3 rockets, successfully mixed and fired 75mm EX motors, and have gained a lot of experience from just talking to people at launches. I know none of my builds are documented on here, but I think you can see the quality of my work in the launch tower and what I posted above.

Back