Centuri pronunciation?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's your name you get to decide how it's said.
Still remember Tony Dorsett going through high school and college as Tony DOR-sett.
Then when he achieved success as a Dallas Cowboys running back he said it's pronounced Dor-SETT.
That cracked me up. I think he was yanking everybodys' chains just because he could.

At the 1:19 mark: "Estes" (Bill Stine)
At the 2:27 mark: "Centuri" by Dan Hagadorn. curator, Museum of Flight.

Edit: 8:40 mark: "Centuri" by Lee Piester, founder.

Thanks for posting the video, as of now, the best video I have seen on the birth of the hobby and especially Centuri. My 1st Rocket and intro to Hobby was from Centuri. .I am a Centuri Rocketeer. He explained why he created the company, so thanks NARAM # 2. He clarified, that Centuri did make their own engines. You hear they had problems and went to Estes for manufacture. Great slide show Lee.

We have Nevada, IA pronounced by natives as nehVAYdah. It was named after the (clearly Spanish) Sierra Nevada mountains, which are not even remotely close to Iowa. My fellow Iowans subsequently broke the pronunciation. Go figure. They didn't do very well with Des Moines either, the origin of which is shrouded in mystery but is definitely French flavored.

I agree that names should be pronounced the way that the "owner" of the name pronounces it. I find it funny that I always mispronounced both Centuri and Estes as a kid. Estes is a family name, and Vern pronounces it "ess tess." Lee Piester named Centuri, so it is pronounced the way that he calls it (with I think is sen-TUR-ee).

Locally, everybody called Estes "es-tees" and Centuri "Century", but then again Rochester has a lot of unusual pronunciations. One neighborhood in Rochester is named Charlotte, and it is named after a woman named Charlotte, but it is pronounced "shar-LOTT." The suburb Chili is named after the country Chile, but it is spelled with an "i" at the end, and it is pronounced "cheye leye." The town of Avon is pronounced "eh von." The town of LeRoy is named after someone with the last name of LeRoy, and many locals correctly pronounce it "leh roy" (not "lee roy").

We have Nevada, IA pronounced by natives as nehVAYdah. It was named after the (clearly Spanish) Sierra Nevada mountains, which are not even remotely close to Iowa. My fellow Iowans subsequently broke the pronunciation. Go figure. They didn't do very well with Des Moines either, the origin of which is shrouded in mystery but is definitely French flavored.

“Sierra” means “saw”, which is a reference to the saw-like look of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. And “Nevada” means “snowy”, referring to the snowy peaks. So the Sierra Nevada mountain range is the snowy saw blade.

Other places can be referred to as Nevada/Snowy without referring to the Sierra Nevada mountains — they are just snowy. And the truth is that the Iowa pronunciation is no more incorrect in Spanish than the way Americans pronounce the State of Nevada or Sierra Nevada. Most people don’t roll the double “R“ in Sierra. And in Spanish, Nevada should be more like Neh-VAH-dah. Most Americans call the state Nuh-VAD-uh. And apparently Iowa has a Neh-VAY-dah!

At NARAM 17 (1975 in Orlando, FL) I asked Centuri designer Bob Del Principe about the name history and pronunciation.
Bob explained: Lee Piester had like the sound of the star system "Alpha Centauri".
He dropped the word Alpha and the letter A from Centauri. Thus - Centuri.
Pronounced Cen-tour-ee. Accent on the second sylable "tour".

How about Marion, Ohio being pronounced locally as MURn, Ahia. I lived there for a while before Lady J and I moved to the Dayton/ Fairborn area. There are also two towns in central Illinois about 1 mile apart across U.S. 36/I-72 approximately 6 miles west of Springfield named Berlin and New Berlin. They, also are pronounced BURRlyn.

At NARAM 17 (1975 in Orlando, FL) I asked Centuri designer Bob Del Principe about the name history and pronunciation.
Bob explained: Lee Piester had like the sound of the star system "Alpha Centauri".
He dropped the word Alpha and the letter A from Centauri. Thus - Centuri.
Pronounced Cen-tour-ee. Accent on the second sylable "tour".
I'm an amateur astronomer & have been so since a kid. I always figured Centuri had something to do with Centauri. Thanks for confirming this.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana:

Bat-on roudge? or Baten rooje? or bat-on (n is silent)

or just 'Red Stick Town'? (or 'Rod'?)

These kinds of things crack me up. I figured this would get two or three replies, question answered and it'd get buried. Must be a slow news cycle right now. Ha, ha. 45 replies before this one.

These kinds of things crack me up. I figured this would get two or three replies, question answered and it'd get buried. Must be a slow news cycle right now. Ha, ha. 45 replies before this one.
Is the "Sch" pronounced "sk" like in "school"?
Or "sh" like in "mach schnell"? :D

Last edited:
Tennessee has some beauts. (Sorry, “BYUTES”)

Seem to have a thing for giving cities foreign names pronounced with local idiosyncrasies.

Medina is pronounced “meh-DY-nah”

Bolivar is pronounced like Oliver with a B in front, “BAH-lih-ver”

Milan is pronounced “MY-Lin”

Last edited:
Sort of like Cairo Egypt (ky-ro) and Cairo in the US (kay-ro)...
Yeah, that one threw me the first time I heard it. Kī∙rō is a city. Kā∙rō is corn syrup.

And all this time I thought it was pronounced PIE-ster, it's actually PEE-ster.
In words of German origin, 'ie' and 'ei' generally take the long vowel sound of the second letter.

One of the oddest place pronunciations I’ve heard is Hurricane, UT, pronounced like hurkin. They got rid of an entire syllable.
That ain't nuttin' next to Worchester, MA, which is WƏ∙ster.

There's a Burnette Street in Austin. Visiting my wife's cousin there I pronounced it, as one would, based more or less on the French Bur∙NET. She responded quickly and emphatically with "It's BUR∙nit, dern it, learn it!" I got the feeling that's a common Austinite saying.

I remember reading the Harry Potter books and thinking: "Hermione"

who's this 'her-mee-own' person...

the wife corrected me: It's "Her-my-oh-nee" ..

What, we sound out each letter in her name?!

Is the "Sch" pronounced "sk" like in "school"?
Or "sh" like in "mach schnell"? :D
Like "sh" and exactly like mach schnell. My junior high offered German classes so I was inundated by all my classmates who took German when they found out what Schnell means. I had an eighth grade math teacher who drove me nuts calling me Mach Schnell in a cheesy German accent pretty much every day. I do get a little bit of pleasure in hearing my name in pretty much any movie with German troops in it. They ALWAYS yell out, "Schnell, Schnell!" with any troop movements. Once in a while you'll get a "Mach Schnell!"

Reminds me of when I was back in high school, sitting at a table studying in the library.
A group of friends were sitting at another table in some sort of animated discussion.
One of them comes up to me and shows me a piece of paper with something written on it and says "Gary, how is this pronounced?"
I say the word and everybody at the other table laughs. The guy sheepishly returns to the other table.
IIRC the word written on the paper was
"Tucson"
(The guy couldn't believe it wasn't pronounced "tuck-son". He was saying afterwards "How do you get Too-sahn from Tucson? Heh.)

Last edited:
When you find somebody who "mispronounces" but otherwise correctly uses a word that's not in the most common 10k or so, see if you can make a friend. That's probably a person who voluntarily reads quite a lot.

Last edited:
Back