CARBER Energetics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out TRA research code 7.1.2.
You can purchase a research motor from maker as long as it's not for profit.
2017 rule was changed that research motor maker dosent need to be at the launch site when your flying the motor.

Last edited:
2017 rule was change that motor maker dosent need to be at the launch when your flying the motor.
Thank you Crossfire!!!

2017 rule was changed that research motor maker doesn't need to be at the launch site when your flying the motor.
Thanks, I was unaware.
Don, I stand corrected.

let us know so that we can send you compensation for your time and trouble, through your PayPal account

If I find it I’ll make a copy and give it to you. Or, I may just write another one from memory.

I too would like a copy. It would be a great service to the community if you were to write an article or provide a copy.

2017 rule was changed that research motor maker dosent need to be at the launch site when your flying the motor.
Good to know! And of course, since the cost of the motor is between you and the maker, who's to say what constitutes "profit?" Likely the maker needs to recover the costs of his mixer, vacuum pump, tools, core mandrels, nitrile gloves, cleaning chems, etc., etc.

Good to know! And of course, since the cost of the motor is between you and the maker, who's to say what constitutes "profit?" Likely the maker needs to recover the costs of his mixer, vacuum pump, tools, core mandrels, nitrile gloves, cleaning chems, etc., etc.
Yes your statement is now I see it. I don't think to many research motor builders sell their reloads anyway. The research motors that I have used were reloads I helped to make or given to me by the maker to test their formulas out.

I'm still very interested in a certified HEI motor. That'd be unique within the hobby (certified, it's been done as EX)

I wish you well and hope you're able to bring a certified product to market soon. As has been seen many, many times here, it's advisable not to announce products until they're ready for market.
Thanks heada

We’ve tested motors. Lots of them. That isn’t the hard part.
I definitely saw recently in the Thread Which Dare Not Speak Its Name :D that making the motors is relatively easy compared to the paperwork to become a motor manufacturer.

I see that you've tested some motors with up to P impulse, and that you're not planning on selling anything smaller than J. Can you give approximate sizes of what you're planning/have tested? This isn't intended to tie you down, just curious about whether I'm in the candidate range at all. Something like the following would be helpful:
54mm: J-L impulse, tested K
75mm: L-M impulse, tested L and M
98mm: N-O impulse, tested O

If it's not too much of a trade secret at this time, an average thrust rounded to the nearest 100 N would be nice too (~K400, ~O10000, etc.).

I definitely saw recently in the Thread Which Dare Not Speak Its Name :D that making the motors is relatively easy compared to the paperwork to become a motor manufacturer.

I see that you've tested some motors with up to P impulse, and that you're not planning on selling anything smaller than J. Can you give approximate sizes of what you're planning/have tested? This isn't intended to tie you down, just curious about whether I'm in the candidate range at all. Something like the following would be helpful:
54mm: J-L impulse, tested K
75mm: L-M impulse, tested L and M
98mm: N-O impulse, tested O

If it's not too much of a trade secret at this time, an average thrust rounded to the nearest 100 N would be nice too (~K400, ~O10000, etc.).
I’ll see if I can come up with some information for you. Our J motor was a J-460 I think. Our L motor was our L-911.

Has there ever been a picture of anything from carber energetics?

I'll take a picture of anything...case, grains, nozzle, smoke from a static test? Heck I'll settle for a picture of a carber energetics o-ring.

Fuzzy polaroid from 1983?

Drawing on an envelope?

Anything?

I was wondering when you were a member. I think I have a member listing or two back to ‘95 or so.

But it looks like John already had it figured out.
I still don’t know what my Tripoli number is.

Don, I forwarded these to you in March 2021.
Mark Weber, #00002
Kenneth “Don” Carter, #00077
Thank you kindly!! I go back a ways huh? That’s what happens when you’re an old geezer like me!! Lol! I see my friend Mark is #2. Who’s #1? Just curious

Back