Canvas Phenolic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's quite strong. FWFG has an advantage if in real high speed flight with larger airframes, but canvas phenolic is generally friendlier to work with. The MAC Performance kits are excellent, they are intended for experienced builders, but plenty of advice is available if needed. I prefer MAC Performance over all other brands after building one (4" Bolt)

Jim

It's quite strong. FWFG has an advantage if in real high speed flight with larger airframes, but canvas phenolic is generally friendlier to work with. The MAC Performance kits are excellent, they are intended for experienced builders, but plenty of advice is available if needed. I prefer MAC Performance over all other brands after building one (4" Bolt)

Jim
Great to know. Thanks Jim! I was a bit worried about cracking and how easy it may be after seeing some landing results from other builds. Of course, it just depends on where it lands, but for a Level 2 cert I want it to be perfect!

Great to know. Thanks Jim! I was a bit worried about cracking and how easy it may be after seeing some landing results from other builds. Of course, it just depends on where it lands, but for a Level 2 cert I want it to be perfect!
I've only flown the Bolt once, but it has had no landing issues at all. I'm using a 60" torroidial chute for a main and it lands below 15 fps. It usually pays to bring the landing speed down. With a 3" airframe, you will have a lot of choices for recovery. Should be no issue on a 4 pound rocket., MAC Performance stuff builds up pretty light. The one unusual change that I had to make was on finishing. The Bolt will break Mach 1 so I had to use automotive urethane so as to not blister the paint..

Jim

I've only flown the Bolt once, but it has had no landing issues at all. I'm using a 60" torroidial chute for a main and it lands below 15 fps. It usually pays to bring the landing speed down. With a 3" airframe, you will have a lot of choices for recovery. Should be no issue on a 4 pound rocket., MAC Performance stuff builds up pretty light. The one unusual change that I had to make was on finishing. The Bolt will break Mach 1 so I had to use automotive urethane so as to not blister the paint..

Jim
Canvas phenolic is tougher than cardboard phenolic but it will potentially crack if dropped on a hard surface (or at a higher velocity), it happened to rocketeer I know with his L2 rocket (see post #30 in his thread)
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/mac-4-arcas-build-for-l2.141320/

Last edited:
I am building a 3" MAC Scorpion. The booster tube had a crack at the top of the tube and running about 3 inches down the tube. I am not sure when this occurred, I did talk to the company ... and no harm no fowl, they said I could just cut the tube shorter... however I elected to epoxy the crack and wrap the tube with carbon fiber tape. Hope to fly this year ..... the kit goes together nicely...

Canvas phenolic is tougher than cardboard phenolic but it will potentially crack if dropped on a hard surface (or at a higher velocity), it happened to rocketeer I know with his L2 rocket (see post #29 in his thread)
Agreed. Significantly lighter than FG, but not as strong. It's a good compromise between cardboard and FG. My favorite attribute is that it's very easy to work with.

I got my L2 with a stretched 4" Black Fly, but I've also zippered it twice from not-crazy on-air events.

All the phenolic materials are far stronger than cardboard but are brittle. They will crack with any hard landing. G3 (fiberglass filament wound with phenolic binder makes good liners and nozzles) and is not brittle.

You did mean post 30 right? ;)
Uh yes, fixed it. Thanks Mike. I am not bashing your product, as from all reports is grwat stuff to work with and the kits are well cut and fit. Phenolic of all stripes seems to pretty much have the same downside, its strong but brittle but its trade off for that is its lightweight and strength.

Canvas phenolic is tougher than cardboard phenolic but it will potentially crack if dropped on a hard surface (or at a higher velocity), it happened to rocketeer I know with his L2 rocket (see post #30 in his thread)
I now have three rockets built using canvas airframes, and my Aerobee had a fall a few months ago very similar to the fall that damaged the ARCAS, and it did not suffer any damage. So it must have just been the way it hit when it fell. So far, two of the three have flown with no issues what so ever, and the third has yet to fly so far. For 4" airframes, I think that canvas is an excellent material, and it is my preferred material for 4" diameter builds from here on out.

Latest posts

Back