Can it be done?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketry nut

Reaction score
Would it be possible to have colored flames and effects on black powder motors like composites? If so why doesn't anybody try it?

You could, it would be like those smoke bombs you buy from fireworks shops that when lit, emit thick colored smoke for about 2 minutes.

My guess is it would have to be compatible and not reactive with the other chemicles in the motors.

I can be done I would assume.

Originally posted by wildbluerocket
From what I've been reading here on TRF, my guess is that this post (or whole thread) will be deleted. :(
As long as there are not specifics on specific amounts of chemical a,b,c and so on, we should be fine, he is just wondering if this has been done

Originally posted by wildbluerocket
Sparky BP motors are old hat. Rocketflite Silver Streak motors were nice. 15 to 20 years ago. I once flew an H330SS motor. Largest BP motor made.

Too bad there are no sparky BP H's anymore.

Alright question answered. Thanks guys. Now I won't have to bug Estes about making them.

Originally posted by Rocketry nut
Would it be possible to have colored flames and effects on black powder motors like composites? If so why doesn't anybody try it?

Well you would have to mix a specific chemical(s) in a specfic amount with the BP. BY adding this chemical to produce the colored flame, to actually get an effect, it might take up to 10-20%(this is a swag) by weight of the bp + chemical composition. It seems to me that this would result in a slower burn perhaps, and perhaps a corresponding lower total impulse. Perhaps the typical Isp 70-80 of typical BP, once diluted would be much less.
The result would be heavier BP motors.

SO basically its a tradeoff.....

SO in answer to your question, yes it can be done, just as we could have colored smoke delay charges too.

why doesn't somebody do it? Costs? Equipment issues?

terry dean
nar 16158

Back