54mm motor retainer question Madcow Frenzy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkTheDaring

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
EDIT: Solved! Thanks for all the quick help, much appreciated!

I'm building my first high power rocket. It's a Madcow Frenzy (4" cardboard) that I bought open box kit. It comes with an aft motor retainer (so it won't blow out during ejection), but nothing for the front of the engine (would that be called a thrust ring?). In low and mid-power, no problem, just lots of masking tape for black powder, and the composite engines have a retainer built in. What is the standard procedure for 38/54 mm engines? It also came with a stack of various sized reloads, I haven't taken inventory yet, but it doesn't appear that these have any kind of way of stopping the engine like the mid-power single use engines do. (NB, I have no experience with reloads either.) I'm aware that this may not be the best model for my L1, but it's what fell into my lap.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm following. Almost all high power motors, single use or reload, have a thrust ring as part of the aft end that transfers the force from the motor to the rocket and prevents the motor from flying up through the rocket.

I'm building my first high power rocket. It's a Madcow Frenzy (4" cardboard) that I bought open box kit. It comes with an aft motor retainer (so it won't blow out during ejection), but nothing for the front of the engine (would that be called a thrust ring?). In low and mid-power, no problem, just lots of masking tape for black powder, and the composite engines have a retainer built in. What is the standard procedure for 38/54 mm engines? It also came with a stack of various sized reloads, I haven't taken inventory yet, but it doesn't appear that these have any kind of way of stopping the engine like the mid-power single use engines do. (NB, I have no experience with reloads either.) I'm aware that this may not be the best model for my L1, but it's what fell into my lap.

Thank you.
Do you have the reloadable motor casing for the reloads?

Bingo! It looks like I have a bunch of reloads and no 38 or 54 mm cases. It does appear I have a 29mm case. That explains everything. @Tractionengines, when I have time (later this week I hope) I'll do exactly as you suggest and post some pics. Then I can figure out what I'll need to fly at Sod Blasters in a month (of course the very helpful people there will also provide guidance.

thanks all!

Back