Question about AT J250W - DMS 54 x 218 mm Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjhambrick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
All --

I am doing Open Rocket runs on Candidate J-Motors for my upcoming Level 2 Attempt under a 6000 foot Waiver and a Site semi-surrounded by Corn Fields.

I've got a 2.82 Kg, 2.93 inch rocket with a 54mm Motor Mount, including an AeroPac Retainer.

I've looked for images of the DMS J250W Motor and I can't find a picture that is absolutely, positively that particular Motor.

So ...

Q1: Does the AT J250W - DMS 54x218 mm Motor include an integral Thrust Ring on the Nozzle-End ?

Q2: If so, is the Integral Thrust Ring compatible with an AeroPac Retainer ?

No biggie if not -- Harry the Motor Man has several other Candidate Motors that will work with our Waiver.

And if not and I decide that the J250W is 'the one', I have made Thrust Rings in a pinch at my Prep Table using Masking Tape and a little CA.

But it would be good to know before I purchase a Motor onsite from Harry so I will have all the supplies I need.

Thanks !

-- kjh

P.S. I am a White Lightning Man and so my first choice would be a RMS 54/852 - J275W, but Harry shows none of them in his online inventory.

The DMS J250W sims to .lt. 4000 ft at 15.7 sec and VRod = 74 ft/sec
The RMS J275W sims to .lt. 4800 ft at 17.0 sec and VRod = 68 ft/sec

Either Altitude should be OK at the AARG Apache Pass Site with Dual Deploy under a Blue Raven.

Rocket Specs:

Code:
Rocket .:  Nocturnal Missions ( Hawk Mountain Scratch LOC Vulcanite Upscale )
Dry Mass:   2.82 Kg
Diameter:   2.93 inch
Length .:  73 inch
MM Tube :  54 mm

Yes and Yes, all DMS motors come with a thrust ring and I believe always had. The early ones you had to glue on the ring yourself but its all done by Aerotech now, and I use them in Aeropac's all the time. I happen to have an unopened J250, but I've never worried about having to check that.

Back