Can I get level 1 cert with a homemade motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by karatekicker271
No, you can not do that. It's accualy not even *technically* legal for you to be building your own motors until you get L-2.
theres nothing illegal about them building EX motors. Its "illegal" to build them by TRA/NAR standards. I have issues on how people assume that laws created by TRA/NAR are the laws for the country on owning/flying rockets.. which in reality its not. The rules they created are rules you must follow at THEIR launches. Most clubs use these as guidelines and as their standard rules to keep things leveled across the board. Im a TRA member and i follow their rules but at a non-affiliated launch the rules are similar but not quite the same. We are affiliated with TRA/NAR but we have a seperate insurance policy to hold non-affiliated launches when we feel its a good idea. We can launch EX and commercial all on the same day, TRA/NAR dont allow that. and NAR doesnt even allow EX period. What Im saying is even though our rules as a organization says we have to follow their rules in reality you got to on their fields and their launches but things are different on non-affiliated fields.

As mentioned above there are great threads and discussion regarding construction of your rocket here. You may also want to invest in one of the Rocketry Books that are available. Mark Canepa writes a great book that describes in detail how to safely construct mid and high power rockets. You can search the web to find his book Modern High Power Rocketry. Well worth the money - I look at mine all the time. Also, check out some of the websites out there. The Vatsaas Brothers have a great site with a lot of construction tips, John Cocker has another great site.

Just do a search in for these and many other sites out there with pictures, tips, & techniques for building a safe rocket.

I would also attend the next launch in your area just to look around- bring out your rocket, let folks there see what you have done - even if not complete. Introduce yourself, ask questions and look closely at how they have constructed their rockets. Take a look at their Alt. Bays.

One more thing, I too use a RRC2 Alt. but, you may want to figure out what type of data you want to collect and review before you purchase yours. If you want to review inflight data, you may want to look at GWIZ or one of the other brands out there.

As you can tell by the posts in this thread - we like to talk to and help new people in this hobby.

Good Luck!!!

Back