Build Thread - "OROC NXRS 2014 Research Test Vehicle" by Binder Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, I just talked with Mike Fisher about doing a fully-glassed Lightning Bolt with a 75mm motor mount sometime...

I have a 54mm version of that kit that I was thinking of giving a fiberglass wrap. On the other hand, there's something to be sad for keeping it lightweight. Gives me a lot wider range of motors to fly it on.

I have a 54mm version of that kit that I was thinking of giving a fiberglass wrap. On the other hand, there's something to be sad for keeping it lightweight. Gives me a lot wider range of motors to fly it on.
True! A glassed 75mm bird would probably have to stay in the K-L-M impulse range.

True! A glassed 75mm bird would probably have to stay in the K-L-M impulse range.

Depends on how much glass you use. :) A J350 or J570 would lift it if you didn't go crazy with the layer thickness. When I get time, I plan on building a 75mm all paper/wood glue build and put it up on a long burn M. Just lined with our new HD couplers should be plenty strong enough, with the 12 ply 1/4" fins it should hold together just fine.

Depends on how much glass you use. :) A J350 or J570 would lift it if you didn't go crazy with the layer thickness. When I get time, I plan on building a 75mm all paper/wood glue build and put it up on a long burn M. Just lined with our new HD couplers should be plenty strong enough, with the 12 ply 1/4" fins it should hold together just fine.
Gotcha. :) Your project sounds WAY cool...

View attachment 173976
Flew on a K805G at about 10:00 on Saturday morning.

Video of launch:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104803...key=Gv1sRgCLyjvfKP2b2gkQE#6015400109309229314

Very nice and informative build, I enjoyed following along,,, Nice flight as well.

Could you please give me some info on the pad base you launched from? Looks to be gray PVC which I can see ok but what I'm interested in is the top portion where the rail is attached. I'm building a similar one and would like to see how the one you used is attached, if you can of course.

Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
View attachment 173976

Could you please give me some info on the pad base you launched from? Looks to be gray PVC which I can see ok but what I'm interested in is the top portion where the rail is attached. I'm building a similar one and would like to see how the one you used is attached, if you can of course.

Thanks
Ed

It's a quad pod. I don't know if they make them anymore. Used to be a real popular design. I've smashed a few.

Very nice and informative build, I enjoyed following along,,, Nice flight as well.

Thanks
Ed

Hi Ed, thank you! Yes, as Mike said, the pad head is called a Quad Pod and I think they were manufactured by Black Sky? Not sure if they are still made, either. Our club has probably about 9 of them and they are our standard for high power pads.

I've smashed a few.
I heard about that...

Thanks guys I think I can do it with the pictures I found.
The PVC part is no problem just need the parts on top to attached the rail to.

Ed

Thanks guys I think I can do it with the pictures I found.
The PVC part is no problem just need the parts on top to attached the rail to.

Ed

It is a cast piece with a turnbuckle adjustment for angle and a locking pin for tilt down loading.

Last edited:
I think I got an idea from what you guys posted so off to the hardware store.

Thanks
Ed

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1402026358.132821.jpgphoto.jpg

One of our members donated an old Quad Pod to the club - a version with a particularly puny aluminum tripod-like base. We pitched the old base, and Grimracer designed a new, tubular steel base for that great Quad Pod head. A bit of expert machining, welding, and powder coat, and we've got a great HPR pad with a stable base and versatile head. I'd like to find more of the old Quad Pods and convert them, too!

Mark

Last edited:
One of our members donated an old Quad Pod to the club - a version with a particularly puny aluminum tripod-like base. We pitched the old base, and Grimracer designed a new, tubular steel base for that great Quad Pod head. A bit of expert machining, welding, and powder coat, and we've got a great HPR pad with a stable base and versatile head. I'd like to find more of the old Quad Pods and convert them, too!

Mark

Looks good! Our club has a more "robust" version of a Quad Pod as well that is primarily used at the away cell for "hard-hitting L's" as well as M's. It too is powder-coated and was designed (I think) by a club member many years ago.

Looks good! Our club has a more "robust" version of a Quad Pod as well that is primarily used at the away cell for "hard-hitting L's" as well as M's. It too is powder-coated and was designed (I think) by a club member many years ago.

Quadzilla, built by Dave Proffit.

Back