Build Thread - "OROC NXRS 2014 Research Test Vehicle" by Binder Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to report on now while I wait on an epoxy to arrive for fillets. Here we have rail buttons attached and airframe prepped for fillets.
IMG_2179.jpg

Why so you are!
My rocket needs fillets, chute protectors, paint, and a motor retainer to be ready - I'm thinking I can do all that in 2 weeks.

Pretty much the same here. I'm finishing up the electronics bay today. Eggtimer as primary and Adept 22 for redundancy.
I also need to modify the nosecone to put in my Eggfinder GPS transmitter.

Pretty much the same here. I'm finishing up the electronics bay today. Eggtimer as primary and Adept 22 for redundancy.
I also need to modify the nosecone to put in my Eggfinder GPS transmitter.
Cool! I'll be using my "old favorites" - Stratologger (I now have 2) for the primary, and Adept22 for the backup. As you remember, my old av-bay was trashed at the end of last year, but the bulkheads and innards were fine. So what I did was remove the short all-thread rods and replaced them with the longer ones that came with the dual deploy kit. The sled and bulkheads are the same but will now simply be inserted into a new bay.

How are you thinking of modifying the nosecone?

Resumed building today after waiting on a few things to arrive from McMaster-Carr. This was the first time I had ordered from them and I was quite pleased! Quick shipping and good communication. My only critique would be that I'd prefer to know what my shipping charge is before I click "Submit"...

IMG_2185.jpg
Did my fillets today. For this rocket I tried using Loctite epoxy and a special method that I learned from a fellow OROC member. I was very pleased with the results! You can apply this stuff using a dispenser gun and a mixer nozzle, which saves a lot of time. The epoxy also has a very high viscosity so you can do 2 fillets, rotate the airframe, then do the next set, etc all while the epoxy is still wet.

IMG_2191.jpg
Fillets cured and complete.

Seeing as I'm obsessed with nice paint jobs now, I almost opted to fly it naked at Spring Thunder next weekend and then shoot catalyzed paints later on, like what I did with my L3. But alas, I opted for the standard Rustoleum finish this time...

IMG_2195.jpg
Rocket prepped and ready for paint.

IMG_2197.jpg
After 2 coats of primer.

My only critique would be that I'd prefer to know what my shipping charge is before I click "Submit"...

My biggest critique with them is with their ability to choose the largest box they can find to ship a bag of screws in, thus driving up the shipping charge to the next pound via box weight.

IMG_2199.jpg
2 coats of red.

IMG_2200.jpg
Black.

IMG_2201.jpg
...And white! Unfortunately, my can of white Rustoleum paint got clogged all to hell while I was painting... But as luck would have it, it happened just as I finished shooting the second coat.

As always, applying decals is fun, but a bit tricky this time mostly because of their size. Fortunately, I made it work using a trick I learned from Vern Knowles.

IMG_2202.jpg
First, we align the decal right where we want it using blue tape.

IMG_2203.jpg
Then we peel off the first half of the decal.

IMG_2204.jpg
And then cut the backing free.

IMG_2205.jpg
Then we can apply the first half.

IMG_2206.jpg
Now, on to the second half.

IMG_2207.jpg
Backing removed.

IMG_2208.jpg
And decal now fully applied.

IMG_2210.jpg
Remove the application tape, and tada!

The wrap is the one you'll have to be super careful with. My pulse goes higher when doing those. Real easy to mess up if you are not careful. Good luck!

The wrap is the one you'll have to be super careful with. My pulse goes higher when doing those. Real easy to mess up if you are not careful. Good luck!

A real challenge indeed...yeah, my pulse went up too!!

IMG_2211.jpg
Finished with decals and 2 coats of clear gloss.

IMG_2213.jpg
Tada!

IMG_2214.jpg
Add in the altimeter bay - a little band of gold...

IMG_2219.jpg
54mm Aeropack retainer epoxied in place.

All ready for a test flight this weekend!

excellent job.... pity i cant get out to the launch this weekend. I will see this at NXRS though

Looks nice! Did that wrap seam come out ok? I usually prototype those but trusted the CAD because I didn't have even a day to put one together. Yes, I really do build the prototypes for photos in a day. Sometimes I even fly them on a K motor afterwards. :) I built three in one weekend once when we released the Tyrannosaur, Excelerator, and Lightning Bolt. I would not hesitate to fly any one of them on the largest commercial K it could fit.

excellent job.... pity i cant get out to the launch this weekend. I will see this at NXRS though

Thanks Rob - we missed you this weekend! See you next month.

Looks nice! Did that wrap seam come out ok? I usually prototype those but trusted the CAD because I didn't have even a day to put one together. Yes, I really do build the prototypes for photos in a day. Sometimes I even fly them on a K motor afterwards. :) I built three in one weekend once when we released the Tyrannosaur, Excelerator, and Lightning Bolt. I would not hesitate to fly any one of them on the largest commercial K it could fit.
The wrap seam came out very nice. Not quite perfect, but pretty darn close. You build these things in a day??

Flew mine on a big K yesterday. Awesome flight - details/photos will follow. By the way, both the Tyrannosaur and the Lightning Bolt (painted exactly as they appear in the ad) made an appearance this weekend for 2 successful L1 certs!

Nice to hear that the test flight went good. I had planned on attending this weekend, but, the truck needed a little work, so funds were low.. ho hum.

Nice to hear that the test flight went good. I had planned on attending this weekend, but, the truck needed a little work, so funds were low.. ho hum.

Thanks Rob! We missed you last weekend. Certainly hope you'll have all your vehicles shipshape for NXRS... ;)

Flew on a K805G at about 10:00 on Saturday morning. chuck5395 and I were originally going to dragrace ours, but since his rocket wasn’t nearly ready when mine was, plus the fact that he was flying a mid-size J and that I was flying a large K, those plans were scrubbed.

IMG_2215.jpg
Loading up the motor before leaving for Brothers.

IMG_2238.jpg
On the pad and ready to go.
Video of launch:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104803...key=Gv1sRgCLyjvfKP2b2gkQE#6015400109309229314

IMG_2240.jpg
Recovered using a Stratologger and an Adept22. Perfect landing about 100 yards off the main entry road - was an easy up and back. Flew to 7,747'.

All ready for the Max Q challenge at NXRS next month! :)

Sorry I missed out on the drag race. I went conservative on the launch of my NXRS rocket by going with a J520R (Wilson calls this a mid-size J. I call it the largest motor I have flown to date).

Flight control was via an Adept22 and Eggtimer(revD). First time using redundant altimeters. Good thing to since the main didn't come out with the first charge firing at 800'. The second charge went off at 700' and got all the laundry out.

Altitude was reported as 4,568 by the Eggtimer (I have to find my notes on what the Adept22 had).

The Eggfinder in the nose transmitted throughout the flight and I was able to walk straight to it. That was pretty cool.

Here's the only photo I have ...
NXRS-TestVehicle.jpg

Sorry I missed out on the drag race. I went conservative on the launch of my NXRS rocket by going with a J520R (Wilson calls this a mid-size J. I call it the largest motor I have flown to date).

Flight control was via an Adept22 and Eggtimer(revD). First time using redundant altimeters. Good thing to since the main didn't come out with the first charge firing at 800'. The second charge went off at 700' and got all the laundry out.

Altitude was reported as 4,568 by the Eggtimer (I have to find my notes on what the Adept22 had).

The Eggfinder in the nose transmitted throughout the flight and I was able to walk straight to it. That was pretty cool.

Here's the only photo I have ...
View attachment 172526

Thanks for the flight report! Hey, your launch looked great too. :wink:

About recovery - how big were your ejection charges? Did you still use motor backup? I used a plugged forward closure in my motor since I had 2 altimeters already. The Stratologger deployed the main at 500', with the Adept22 backup at 300'.
Remind me how the Eggfinder works - is it a GPS tracker?

Thanks for the flight report! Hey, your launch looked great too. :wink:

About recovery - how big were your ejection charges? Did you still use motor backup? I used a plugged forward closure in my motor since I had 2 altimeters already. The Stratologger deployed the main at 500', with the Adept22 backup at 300'.
Remind me how the Eggfinder works - is it a GPS tracker?

Recovery
a) Ejection charges where 1.75grams each. I pop the nose cone off for the main, leaving the payload tube attached to the ebay. On this flight, the nosecone popped off but it did not pull out the main (and this is the reason Mike Binder recommends doing it the opposite way). I have been attaching a small parachute directly at the base of the nose cone so that when the nose cone separates, this small parachute provides the drag needed to pull out the main. I did not do that on this flight ('cause I forgot).
b) Yes, I used motor backup (Since the reload comes with the long delay and BP, why not?). On this flight I was able to see all three ejection charges fire for the drogue. That was pretty cool.

Eggfinder
The Eggfinder is a 900Mhz GPS system, much like your BRB900. Main difference is that it comes in a kit rather than a complete ready to use product. It also requires the use of a laptop computer for the receiver (or there are those that are building a BlueTooth interface for it so you get the data right on your cell phone). Oh, and it's only $95.00.

Last edited:
Recovery
a) Ejection charges where 1.75grams each. I pop the nose cone off for the main, leaving the payload tube attached to the ebay. On this flight, the nosecone popped off but it did not pull out the main (and this is the reason Mike Binder recommends doing it the opposite way). I have been attaching a small parachute directly at the base of the nose cone so that when the nose cone separates, this small parachute provides the drag needed to pull out the main. I did not do that on this flight ('cause I forgot).
b) Yes, I used motor backup (Since the reload comes with the long delay and BP, why not?). On this flight I was able to see all three ejection charges fire for the drogue. That was pretty cool.

Eggfinder
The Eggfinder is a 900Mhz GPS system, much like your BRB900. Main difference is that it comes in a kit rather than a complete ready to use product. It also requires the use of a laptop computer for the receiver (or there are those that are building a BlueTooth interface for it so you get the data right on your cell phone). Oh, and it's only $95.00.

Interesting, I use 1.75 grams as well. (Though I always use a little more for the backups.) I also did that exact same maneuver of ejecting the nose cone instead of the av-bay. And actually I just remembered that the 54/1706 K805G is a plugged reload, anyways.

That Eggfinder sounds like a neat design! Much cheaper than the BRB900 system, indeed. Still thinking G61W for the Max Q challenge? :)

By the way, I just talked with Mike Fisher about doing a fully-glassed Lightning Bolt with a 75mm motor mount sometime...

Back