Build thread: NewWay Angled Invader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long did you wait between the primer and the yellow? Did you pull off both in the same painting session?

Nice, looking good. For some reason I stopped get notifications on this thread.
Yeah, me too. I didn't know there was progress until Neil posted a link here in his other active build thread.

Same session. If I'm not planning on sanding the primer layer, there's no point in letting the primer dry.

Huh, I had no idea it was possible to primer and paint in the same day! I treated the primer like just another coat of paint. (wait, wait, wait....) That's a significant time savings....

Yeah, me too. I didn't know there was progress until Neil posted a link here in his other active build thread.

Same here!

Huh, I had no idea it was possible to primer and paint in the same day! I treated the primer like just another coat of paint. (wait, wait, wait....) That's a significant time savings....
It only ever occurred to me to try it because I asked the good folks at Rustoleum, and they said it was fine. When you think about it, it makes complete sense.

With the Rusto 2x paint I have mostly given up primer (other than filler/primer) except when I need a particular color undercoat, e.g. for yellow and red topcoats. Rather than sand the primer layer, I get better final results if I sand the topcoat, and then add one more coat to it at the end. That is how I've achieved my absolute best paint jobs. So, when I'm so inclined (which is not usually), I have to do only one light sanding job. But I generally don't bother with this unless the finish is really sub-par. The black coat on this rocket could probably use it, but I'm not going to.

If you're using Tamiya spray cans you can colour coat over primer in ~15 minutes. Each subsequent coat likewise ~15 minutes apart.

Yes, it costs a kidney and change per can but the reduction in paint time is amazing.

If you're using Tamiya spray cans you can colour coat over primer in ~15 minutes. Each subsequent coat likewise ~15 minutes apart.

Yes, it costs a kidney and change per can but the reduction in paint time is amazing.

Same with Duplicolor. Multiple colors and clear in the same day. Combine that with SEM high build and you can primer, paint and clear in an afternoon.

Well, it looks like my pod masking strategy worked:
IMG_3391.jpeg
Absolutely no spray seeped in. It did leave a bit of a paint dam, which I'll probably try to knock down a bit, and I'll need to run a touch-up brush around the edge of the tubes, which I anticipated and should be no problem.

Overall pleased. Rocket is still in the shed drying. I probably will bring it back in this weekend, after a full week.

Paint Conclusion

Brought it in from the shed and had a closer look. The yellow actually came out pretty good overall, the black not so much. Mostly it is the result of needing to do a million extra aimed quick sprays to get into all the nooks and crannies. I haven't really found any sort of good solution for this with rattle cans. An airbrush would go a long way towards solving it. The paint looks better in the picture than in real life; in particular there are lots of little surface bumps. It'll be fine.
paint.jpeg

First thing, before decals can get started, is to touch up the pods. The previous post shows what they look like after unmasking:
1684596670677.png

I knocked down the paint dams a bit with some 800-grit paper, and then got out my beloved Testor's touch-up sponges...
touch-up-sponges.jpeg
...and ran them around the edge with black Vallejo paint:
pod-touchup-1.jpeg
The sponges are the only way to go for this kind of work; brushes would make a mess for sure. In just a couple of places I got careless and the paint intruded on the inside of the pods:
pod-touchup-2.jpeg

I can live with that. Certainly not worth the effort to try to fix.

She is now ready for decals.

Decals, part 1

The decal sheet is small but interesting. And if you've ever been curious about Ghost Toner here's your chance to see it in action. These are laser-printed on clear decal paper, with Ghost Toner used for the white parts:
decal_sheet.jpeg

The big decal is up first. It mounts on top and wraps around the sides:
large_decal.jpeg
It turned out to be straightforward. The decal paper is very well-behaved, easy to work with. Normally I like to trim decals as close to the design as possible, but with that one there was only so much I could do.

Then I put the side, um, "logo" on. After double-checking the instructions about a hundred times to check orientation, I *still* put it on upside down:
side_decal.jpeg
Fortunately, no one will know the difference in this case.

The stripes decals was a bit more challenging, mainly in getting both straight and conforming to the contours of the body tube. Micro-sol will hopefully convince the decal to lay down into the inside corner.
stripes_decal.jpeg

And finally, here is the completed top side of the rocket, just before Micro-sol was applied to everything:
top_decals.jpeg

As I have noted in the past regarding laser decals, the black areas don't match up well with gloss paint because they are very matte. You can see this clear at the seam between the large decal and the black paint behind it. This can mostly remedied with a sufficient amount of gloss coat applied to the decal. There is a lot of Future in my future. We'll see how it looks when it's done.

Done for the night.

@neil_w those orange outrigger pods are awesome. I'm not a kit guy, but I must admit I'm looking forward to the launch report on this bird.
It's fun to build a kit once in a while where you don't have to do a lot of hard thinking, you just turn your brain off (well, mostly) and build. This kit has plenty of interesting tasks in it, definitely recommended.

The original Alien Invader is also a classic, designed by the incomparable Wayne Kellner.

And yeah, that cheap fluorescent orange craft paint really came out great.

So, after a bunch of Future-ing, the top decal looks like this:
decal_black.jpg
I got it glossed up good, but realized the the *real* problem is that the black in the decal is simply not very opaque, and there is yellow showing through. This is also true of the white areas, but since I'm not trying to match any white paint it's less of an issue.

I think the lack of opacity in the decals is my only real complaint with this kit. The finished model could look a lot better with better decals. However, I do sympathize regarding the difficulty of producing high-quality decals while managing cost. It's a tough problem for small vendors.

Oops, the exterior is not quite done... still need to hand-paint the tail end of the motor mount black.
Are you sure about white? The same orange as the pod interiors would look good there too. (And it would be dirtied by engine exhaust, but that's because this is a hard working space ship.)

Looks great! The internal orange in the outboard “motors” (“jets”?) really adds a lot.
I can't claim any originality here, the orange internals are recommended by the instructions, and hark back to the original Estes kit. Bright-colored pod internals are almost always a great touch. See also: pretty much every Kraken build.

However, I *can* take credit for the fluorescent orange craft paint regimen I followed, which is way more striking than plain old orange paint would have been.

:goodjob: :bravo:how did you take such great photos?
Simple: I take mediocre photos and then make them look good in a photo editor. :)

After years of struggling to take genuinely good photos of rockets in my basement I eventually gave up and decided to just "fix it in post". For example, here are two of the original photos of this rocket, before any editing:
IMG_3463.jpg IMG_3460.jpg

After cropping on my phone (don't know why I do it there but it's easy enough), I load the photos into Pixelmator Pro on the Mac and do the following:

1) Use the "select subject" to select the rocket. This generally does a decent job (particularly for the photos on white-ish background) but still needs a lot of cleanup.
2) Clean up the selection so only the rocket, as precisely as reasonably possible, is selected.
3) Invert the selection and delete the background. Now I just have the rocket on a transparent background.
4) Add a very diffuse drop-shadow to the rocket layer.
5) Add a white background on another layer underneath.
6) ?
7) Profit!

I am the opposite of a sophisticated photo editor but I've gotten pretty good at this process, taking about 5-10 minutes per photo, sometimes quicker if the initial selection is good. I don't mind spending that to create the photos at the end of a build. This way the rocket itself is highlighted, without the distractions from my crappy backgrounds.

Most other photo editors could probably do the same exact thing, just as easily (or maybe more so). MS Paint would be a no-go, and even Paint.net would be tougher sledding due to lack of the extremely time-saving "select subject" function.

I'm impressed that "subject select" can work well enough with so much background (like the photo on the left). Or did that take a lot of manual cleanup?

I'm impressed that "subject select" can work well enough with so much background (like the photo on the left). Or did that take a lot of manual cleanup?
That one took a lot of cleanup in some areas... but it did pretty well on the left side and several other areas. Cleanup is still a lot easier then doing the whole selection from scratch.

Back