Build thread: NewWay Angled Invader

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my biggest concern: if I paint in cold-ish weather, the air in the pods will contract... could it contract enough to pull the tape loose? It will bare watching.
I'd think the cold would disrupt the paint cure chemistry before it was cold enough for the tape trouble to happen.

Kuririn,
Thanks for the kind words. Here’s a not great photo sneak peek of one I’m working on. It’s a 2 motor canted style like FlisKits Deuces Wild, but with legs and fins below motors like Orville Carlisles Mark I. So, I call it Mark One-Two.

Attachments

• A98F5C80-029C-4997-B21E-11EE0547E3FD.jpeg
    A98F5C80-029C-4997-B21E-11EE0547E3FD.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
Kuririn,
Thanks for the kind words. Here’s a not great photo sneak peek of one I’m working on. It’s a 2 motor canted style like FlisKits Deuces Wild, but with legs and fins below motors like Orville Carlisles Mark I. So, I call it Mark One-Two.
Looks like the canted exhaust will be directed away from the stilt fins, unlike the original Mark 1.
Good idea.

Yes Kuririn, I have been waiting to hear something about the square Saturn V also.
I could live with Slaturn 4 + 1.

I hope the issues with the Saturn V can be worked out.
My suggestion for a name: Slaturn 4 + 1.
:D
i guess Flaturn V doesn’t have same ring to it. Sort of brings flatulence to mind. Of course, with black powder motors…..

Last edited:
I fear the inner workings of your mind. I think Flaturn V sounds like a winner.
As long as it doesn't do a flat turn in the air. Babar's post reminded me of a lady friend of a friend who was watching her first launch recently. After a launch she said "Smells like f*rts."
Cracked me up.

Almost 7 months later, look what happened today!
yellow.jpeg
There's a story.

My opportunity came as a bit of a surprise, but I was basically ready. I re-burnished the masking tape covering the pods, wiped down the rocket with alcohol, grabbed the painted and headed out back. My intention was to put a solid coat of white primer on the whole rocket, and then yellow just on the front have that will actually need to be yellow. This is the same yellow I used on the Skywriter, still had most of the can left so I wanted to make use of it.

I knew my primer was nearly empty, so I focused on getting the front (yellow) part covered first. Then I moved to the rear, focusing on the area around the pods, to seal the masking tape. My can ran out while I was doing that. OK fine, I was sort of expecting it, and I was in good shape to start the yellow.

First of all, this Rusto 2x yellow (Golden Sunset) covers *really* well, so I probably could have gone without the white primer and been fine. But just as well.

During my second coat of the yellow, the nozzle started spitting and then stopped completely. Oh no, my first Rusto 2x jam! Not knowing what else to do, I just held the nozzle down, and to my considerable relief it started spraying cleanly again. I finished the second coat.

I wanted one more coat. Coverage looked pretty good already after the first two, but I thought one good finishing coat was a good idea, and there was one spot around the bulges on the nose that I hadn't really hit yet, so I wanted to cover that up.

Well, the can decided it had had enough. Just a few seconds into the last coat, the can jammed up for good. As typical with Rusto jams, as far as I can tell the jam is in the can, not the nozzle, and is therefore almost impossible to fix.

And so I am just going to leave the rocket as-is, even with a slight miss on one part of the nose cone. Not buying another can of this color (which I don't expect to use again any time soon) just to put 1/2 more coat on this one rocket.

If I were to get very ambitious, I could puncture the can and decant some paint to touch up the one bad area. But I probably won't bother. Now how do you dispose of a nearly full but clogged rattle can?

I'm not a "kit guy"... but that's bad ass.... to coin a phrase. Looks great Neil.

Did you warm the paint can in a container of hot water before spraying?

No, but I don't normally do that (I have done it occasionally, when it's cooler out).
FWIW: It's a ritual when I paint... and knock on wood... no spits, no clogs, no failures. Hot tap water, initially 120F ish, for 10 minutes prior to use.

Almost 7 months later, look what happened today!
View attachment 579338
There's a story.

My opportunity came as a bit of a surprise, but I was basically ready. I re-burnished the masking tape covering the pods, wiped down the rocket with alcohol, grabbed the painted and headed out back. My intention was to put a solid coat of white primer on the whole rocket, and then yellow just on the front have that will actually need to be yellow. This is the same yellow I used on the Skywriter, still had most of the can left so I wanted to make use of it.

I knew my primer was nearly empty, so I focused on getting the front (yellow) part covered first. Then I moved to the rear, focusing on the area around the pods, to seal the masking tape. My can ran out while I was doing that. OK fine, I was sort of expecting it, and I was in good shape to start the yellow.

First of all, this Rusto 2x yellow (Golden Sunset) covers *really* well, so I probably could have gone without the white primer and been fine. But just as well.

During my second coat of the yellow, the nozzle started spitting and then stopped completely. Oh no, my first Rusto 2x jam! Not knowing what else to do, I just held the nozzle down, and to my considerable relief it started spraying cleanly again. I finished the second coat.

I wanted one more coat. Coverage looked pretty good already after the first two, but I thought one good finishing coat was a good idea, and there was one spot around the bulges on the nose that I hadn't really hit yet, so I wanted to cover that up.

Well, the can decided it had had enough. Just a few seconds into the last coat, the can jammed up for good. As typical with Rusto jams, as far as I can tell the jam is in the can, not the nozzle, and is therefore almost impossible to fix.

And so I am just going to leave the rocket as-is, even with a slight miss on one part of the nose cone. Not buying another can of this color (which I don't expect to use again any time soon) just to put 1/2 more coat on this one rocket.

If I were to get very ambitious, I could puncture the can and decant some paint to touch up the one bad area. But I probably won't bother. Now how do you dispose of a nearly full but clogged rattle can?

That is a killer looking rocket and it sucks that you had to experience the typical rustoleum curse on such a detailed and complicated build.

Exactly why I threw all that paint directly in the trash.

Black paint (Rusto 2x Black Semi-gloss) is on. I was in a hurry and juggling two rockets so I wasn't able to get a picture.

I'm not sure how clean of a coat it is. For some reason I seem to have trouble with black. We'll see in a week.

Whether it's good, bad, or something in between, though, it's done.

Nose cone looks good enough, although I apparently failed to get coverage on the tip.
IMG_3382.jpeg IMG_3383.jpeg

I thought I had good coverage on the black, then I inspected the picture closely and.... LOL.
IMG_3379.jpeg
After thinking about it a bit, I've concluded it is most likely reflection, and not a giant area that I completely missed with the paint, because other wise the square dowel mounted right there wouldn't be black. Next time I head out to the shed I'll double-check.

Anyway the black finish isn't great but it'll have to do... sanding a rocket like this is not worth it.

My mask line, on the other hand, came out much better than usual, only using plain old blue tape for this one (because it was such a simple straight line.)
IMG_3381.jpeg
I did not remove the mask caps on the pods yet, because they will require a bit of handling of the black areas and I want to wait until it's hardened up for at least a day.

My intention was to put a solid coat of white primer on the whole rocket, and then yellow just on the front have that will actually need to be yellow.

How long did you wait between the primer and the yellow? Did you pull off both in the same painting session?

Nice, looking good. For some reason I stopped get notifications on this thread.

How long did you wait between the primer and the yellow? Did you pull off both in the same painting session?
Same session. If I'm not planning on sanding the primer layer, there's no point in letting the primer dry. And I wanted to get as much done in one session as possible; I get too few painting opportunities, need to make each one count as much as possible.

Back