BT-55 (ish) plastic nose cone that matches the Estes Patriot (#2056)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a downscale build of the Estes Patriot (M-104). I'd like to do it using a BT-55 body tube, but there aren't any plastic nose cones that would work for that.

Quest has several models that use the 35mm or T35 main body tube size, which is just a smidge bigger than BT-55. Ok, I can work with that. And it looks like they have two plastic nose cones that are somewhat close to the Estes Patriot nose cone shape. You can find them in the Quest Falcon and Quest SuperBird kits.

Yes, I know the tips are a bit more blunt in the Quest nose cones and the nose cones also have a straight portion. I can live with the blunter tip and the straight portion of the nose cone just means I'll use a shorter main body tube. I just have two questions.

1. Besides the straight portion and the blunt tip, am I right in concluding the Quest nose cones are fairly close to the Estes Patriot nose cone in overall shape? I've tried comparing them with pictures, but it's hard to tell due to differences in focus and angle in which the nose cones are in relation to the camera.

2. Is there a difference between the SuperBird and Falcon nose cones besides color of the plastic?

Estes Chiller is 3:1 ogive BT-55. That's the closest I'm aware of. You'll probably have to buy a Chiller kit or find a cone used to get one, though.

Patriot actual nose cone is 2.63:1 or 2.7:1, depending which diameter (payload section or motor section) you use as the reference. But it doesn't sound like that discrepancy would bother you much.

The nose cone that comes in an Alpha kit is 2.78:1, if BT-50 interests you.

The nose cone that comes in an Alpha kit is 2.78:1, if BT-50 interests you.
I thought about the BT-50 downscale and yes, the Estes Alpha nose cone would likely be the one I use for that. But for now, I'm going to focus on the BT-55 (ish) downscale.

As for the Chiller, I'll look into that rocket, thanks.

Last edited:
It also looks like the Quest Icarus has the same (similar?) nose cone to the SuperBird and Falcon. Not sure if it's got the same shape, although it looks very similar...

That doesn't even look like a Patriot nose cone, though.
Well, I guess it's a bit subjective, as I think it looks closer to the Patriot nose cone than the Chiller.

And you're probably right that the nose cones among the SuperBird, Icarus and Falcon are probably the same ones. Why would Quest tool different nose cones that are so similar? I mean, Estes doesn't do that, right? Oh wait... (sarcasm is directed toward Estes, not you, SolarYellow)

I'm thinking about doing a downscale build of the Estes Patriot (M-104). I'd like to do it using a BT-55 body tube, but there aren't any plastic nose cones that would work for that.

Quest has several models that use the 35mm or T35 main body tube size, which is just a smidge bigger than BT-55. Ok, I can work with that. And it looks like they have two plastic nose cones that are somewhat close to the Estes Patriot nose cone shape. You can find them in the Quest Falcon and Quest SuperBird kits.

Yes, I know the tips are a bit more blunt in the Quest nose cones and the nose cones also have a straight portion. I can live with the blunter tip and the straight portion of the nose cone just means I'll use a shorter main body tube. I just have two questions.

1. Besides the straight portion and the blunt tip, am I right in concluding the Quest nose cones are fairly close to the Estes Patriot nose cone in overall shape? I've tried comparing them with pictures, but it's hard to tell due to differences in focus and angle in which the nose cones are in relation to the camera.

2. Is there a difference between the SuperBird and Falcon nose cones besides color of the plastic?
Have one 3D printed!?

Back