BT-55 Nose Cone Payload Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
I like using nose cones as payload bays. Here's my latest version for BT-55 nose cones. This particular one will go in the Estes Bull Pup 12D that I'm currently working on.

The tubing is BT-20 and that "ring" is just an external coupler because I stuck two scrap BT-20 tubes together.

The black ring is the 18mm Estes screw-on retainer.

The white bits are made from styrene sheets.

DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

Nothing fancy here, and I know I could have made the payload bay wider (using a 24mm tube, for example). However, I wanted everything to be as clean as possible, so I knew I had to use a motor screw-on retainer. I know there are metal 24mm screw on retainers would that probably just barely fit, but I kind of like the "paper-plastic-glue" asesthetic of LPR rockets and won't use metal on them if it can be avoided (I'm an odd rocket builder, I know).

I've never seen or thought of a screw-on engine retainer for a payload bay close out, and it's ingenious.
Thanks! But I have to admit that I got the idea from someone else. I believe someone posted pictures of their AV bay and they used what appeared to be an Estes 24mm or 29mm engine screw-on retainer to hold in their AV bay in their HPR rocket's nose cone.

The threads on inexpensive beverage bottle motor retainers seem relevant here.
Hi Solar

Would you have the links to that threads you are referring to at hand?
I am a bit hesitant to ask, as you are obviously a big fan of the search function (and rightly so) 😉.
I actually made use of it but can’t find other ones than the one mh anyway has linked.
Thx!

Back