BSD 38 Special DD build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now probably only an I245G..MAYBE(if I can restrain my 'other' spending) throw it up on an I600R:eek:
First flight I am leaning towards going with a G67R then will cert on the I245G..

Well, another baby step taken towards completion projected to be 12 October 2013:rotflol: Actually hope to have it ready to fly in February 2008

I got the sander out and put a taper on the leading edge of the fins..Now, I just have a palm sander, and as I was buzzing along, I noticed I wasn't making much headway..Well, reach over and grab the handy Dremel with the sanding wheel already attached and go at it:) Much better..Much quicker..Much saw dust being breathed in..And they came out looking pretty good too! Debating on doing the trailing edge of the fins or not..Probably not.Anyways here is the picture-
38Special007.jpg

Plan on getting them epoxied on tonight after work..

Well, at least the stated mission that I would get the fins on last night after work! I did and they are :) I used the ol trusty 5 min epoxy dribbled into the fin slots onto the motor mount , placed a good bead on the fin root and presto as soon as fin is inserted in can it was on..Did do some minor alignment adjusting to make sure the fin was straight in the outward direction...There is no strength difference between 5 minute epoxy and 30 minute epoxy is there? Just longer curing time allowing parts adjustment?

Anyways here are a couple pictures..Fillets to go on sometime today..
38Special009.jpg

Nice alignment :)
38Special008.jpg

There is no strength difference between 5 minute epoxy and 30 minute epoxy is there? Just longer curing time allowing parts adjustment?

Nice job on the fin setup.

I have been told that longer set epoxy is stronger, and that on porous stuff like cardboard and wood it will soak in better, creating a stronger bond. I'm not 100% sure that is the case, but it's advice I was offered. I use 5min for setting the fins in and getting them aligned, then 30min for fillets. Holding the fin in place for 30min just to get the alignment right would suck. :)

On my rebuild for the 54 Special (motor malfunction killed the booster section) I also added milled fiber to the epoxy for the fillets and did internal fillets to the MMT. In the wreck that ruined the last model, I had a fin break off. So I went a little nuts on the fins this time. I'm sure it's overkill, but it makes me feel better. :lol: I hope to use this rocket for my L2 attempt so I want it a little overbuilt anyway.

No problem with a little 'over building'!;)

Well applied the fin fillets tonight! Used the 30 minute variety of epoxy..And I can say I was not very patient at first!:rotflol: Had been used to using the 5 minute stuff, and it seemed like it took FOREVER for it to cure enough for me to rotate the tube to do the next fillet! Did have a minor 'oops' on the first one as well..I didn't place any tape 'dams' and the epoxy ran down the tube and dripped some on the floor:mad: But was easily enough fix..Luckily my impatience saved me and I caught it in time and was able, with the help of rubbing alcohol, to remove the runs and drips..Here is my obligatory picture showing the final 2 fillets curing..the one on the left is the fresh one with taped off and tape dams:
38Special011.jpg

Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing your flight report. :)

Yeah, going to the 30min epoxy from 5min seems like it takes forever. I've been told that you are supposed to have a beer between fillets, makes the epoxy set faster or something. :D

No problem with a little 'over building'!;)

Well applied the fin fillets tonight! Used the 30 minute variety of epoxy..And I can say I was not very patient at first!:rotflol: Had been used to using the 5 minute stuff, and it seemed like it took FOREVER for it to cure enough for me to rotate the tube to do the next fillet! Did have a minor 'oops' on the first one as well..I didn't place any tape 'dams' and the epoxy ran down the tube and dripped some on the floor:mad: But was easily enough fix..Luckily my impatience saved me and I caught it in time and was able, with the help of rubbing alcohol, to remove the runs and drips..Here is my obligatory picture showing the final 2 fillets curing..the one on the left is the fresh one with taped off and tape dams:
38Special011.jpg

Hi Jon, Looks like your taking your time and doing a real nice job. When you launch it get a couple of good pictures and maybe one of you holding it and send it to [email protected]. That's my webmaster and he want's to make a customer picture page. Saw you had a little trouble with runny epoxy. If when you mix up your epoxy add some milled fiber glass to it or micro balloons and that will take a lot of that run out. I use milled fiber glass on everthing I glue together,fin's rings etc. Then when you have it where you want it then just dip your finger in alcohol (i prefer crown royal) just kidding rubbing kind and smooth out your fillets and they will also be a lot stronger and less prone to being brittle. Just some insite. Scott

Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing your flight report. :)

Yeah, going to the 30min epoxy from 5min seems like it takes forever. I've been told that you are supposed to have a beer between fillets, makes the epoxy set faster or something. :D

DOH! I knew I was forgetting something! The Art Upton build method! Do a little, drink a beer, do some more, have another beer...:rotflol: Unfortunately fridge is out of beer and no one reminded me!

Thanks for the tip Scott! Will have to try that out on my next HPR build,,Where would one get the milled fiberglass? Is it available in that form? One thing I DID notice when I was mixing the epoxy batches, was that I was getting a TON of tiny air bubbles..Figured out I was mixing too vigorously, and when I slowed down the mixing of the resin/hardener the air bubbles weren't present..

Yeah, I am taking my time..On hold now til after Saturday so I can get some input from some other HP fliers on an altimeter of choice..After that, hot and heavy to get the e-bay done and then fill sand and paint :)

Hope to have the maiden flight on February 9th, and will make sure I get some pictures off to you for the website! I am really digging this build!

Jon,
read any of the builds by me (except the current Talon thread), Lee Scott, or Spartachris.. You will see just how integral and important to the process beer drinking is. ;)

Brent

Thanks for the tip Scott! Will have to try that out on my next HPR build,,Where would one get the milled fiberglass? Is it available in that form? One thing I DID notice when I was mixing the epoxy batches, was that I was getting a TON of tiny air bubbles..Figured out I was mixing too vigorously, and when I slowed down the mixing of the resin/hardener the air bubbles weren't present..

Yeah, I am taking my time..On hold now til after Saturday so I can get some input from some other HP fliers on an altimeter of choice..After that, hot and heavy to get the e-bay done and then fill sand and paint :)

Hope to have the maiden flight on February 9th, and will make sure I get some pictures off to you for the website! I am really digging this build!

Hi Jon, I did not want to sound like a sales man when I was giving you some tips, But yes we sell a four ounce jar of milled fiber glass on the BSD website for $4.95

Milled Fiber (4 oz. jar) $4.95

Hope this helps, Scott

Hi Jon, I did not want to sound like a sales man when I was giving you some tips, But yes we sell a four ounce jar of milled fiber glass on the BSD website for $4.95

Milled Fiber (4 oz. jar) $4.95

Hope this helps, Scott

That's the stuff I've been using. BSD got it out to me pretty quick. Seems to make strong bonds. I haven't tested it in flight yet, but the "pull really hard" test feels good. :D

You don't need much. Just make the epoxy thicker and it turns a white color. I've barely touched the bottle of it I have.

That's the stuff I've been using. BSD got it out to me pretty quick. Seems to make strong bonds. I haven't tested it in flight yet, but the "pull really hard" test feels good. :D

You don't need much. Just make the epoxy thicker and it turns a white color. I've barely touched the bottle of it I have.

Glad ya like it. We sell a ton of it. The part I don't like is sitting there putting into the jars as we buy it in 100 # boxes and it seems no matter how we do it you always end up with the itches. Scott

Well, I went ahead and ordered my altimeter this morning :) I decided to go with a PerfectFlite HiAlt45K unit..So, as soon as it gets here I can get the e-bay knocked out fairly quickly..I also have some 9/16" tubular nylon coming for the main rigging..Hopefully weather will cooperate and I will be able to at least get the sustainer in primer Sunday..

Well, it looks like a third 38 Special is about to be documented in this thread! I started it tonight. Due to the fact that I didn't need to fill the spirals (they are kinda shallow), I got a large portion of the work done. I has able to complete the whole payload section, get the first centering ring on the MMT, and get filler on a fin (got a pretty bad splinter when a piece of wood from one of the fins splintered off when I was sanding, and it went right into my hand. Hurt like h***. Nothing that some wood filler and a band-aid won't fix. :) I plan to get it done tomorrow, but I won't be doing fillets until my shipment of microballoon comes in.

Well, I am almost there! No new pictures of the build..I got my motor cases in- thanks Pete(BHP) for the speedy shipping, so I am good to go as far as the motivation to get it skyward!:) I have also received my Perfectflite HiAlt45k altimeter!..But the weather has NOT cooperated with me at all!:mad:For paint.. Hopefully it will come Tuesday when I go up and meet with Crazy Jim and we build the e-bay- and so I can get some goodies he is selling :D So, my L1 cert flight right now looks like a green light for Feb 9th!

Sorry for the long silence..Been occupied with 'other' stuff..But got a LOT of little things accomplished this last Tuesday!:) Got the e-bay done, rail buttons on, and a few other things like vent holes. It was a very productive day! Here come the pictures!

Here are the rail buttons..The aft one is attached to the aft centering ring..Tried but just missed the fore centering ring with the forward rail button.
38Special013.jpg

Rivets holding the coupler/e-bay to the payload section and one of the 3 vent holes..
38Special014.jpg

1 of the 2 shear pins holding the nosecone on..
38Special015.jpg

The e-bay with the HiAlt45k on it's sled..Foregoing a switch for now and using Jim's method..Will fish the wire thru one of the vent holes and twist then tape the bare leads together to complete the circuit..
38Special018.jpg

The e-bay tightened up
38Special017.jpg

And the big rocket all together..Now to throw some paint on it and rig the recovery devices and will be set for launch time!:D
38Special012.jpg

I need to get back to mine. It's just too cold in the basement with this cold snap to build it (and I don't want to use epoxy on the main floor because I have a bird).

I need to get back to mine. It's just too cold in the basement with this cold snap to build it (and I don't want to use epoxy on the main floor because I have a bird).

Easy solution: Put the bird in the basement and epoxy on the main floor!:p

I don't think the epoxy emits any harmful 'fumes' just an unappealing odor...I think

Scotty, are you sure those 'Itchies' are from the fiberglass??
:lol:

Ron

Glad ya like it. We sell a ton of it. The part I don't like is sitting there putting into the jars as we buy it in 100 # boxes and it seems no matter how we do it you always end up with the itches. Scott

Regarding the earlier post about whether or not your drogue charge has to be on top of the chute... nope.
I've done over a dozen DD flights, and on my Av bays, the charges sit right on the bulkplates. Makes it really easy to prep the entire bay on it's own sitting on the bench.
When you go to assemble the rocket, simply connect the harnesses to each end, slide it in and pop in the rivets/scews. No need to mess with hooking up charges etc and threading things through and around the drogue harness.
When the forward section blows away from the av bay/booster, it'll pull the drogue out!

Ron

Cool deal! That's the way I am setting it up..Drogue charge will be right on the bottom plate and main charge on the top plate of the e-bay..Hopefully the rain holds off tomorrow and I can put some paint on it!

Regarding the earlier post about whether or not your drogue charge has to be on top of the chute... nope.
I've done over a dozen DD flights, and on my Av bays, the charges sit right on the bulkplates. Makes it really easy to prep the entire bay on it's own sitting on the bench.
When you go to assemble the rocket, simply connect the harnesses to each end, slide it in and pop in the rivets/scews. No need to mess with hooking up charges etc and threading things through and around the drogue harness.
When the forward section blows away from the av bay/booster, it'll pull the drogue out!

Ron

When you go to assemble the rocket, simply connect the harnesses to each end, slide it in and pop in the rivets/scews.

Ron, Dude fricton fit NOT rivets or screws! You want them to separate!

Rich...:rotflol:

When you go to assemble the rocket, simply connect the harnesses to each end, slide it in and pop in the rivets/scews.

Ron, Dude friction fit NOT rivets or screws! You want them to separate!

Rich...:rotflol:

Well, yeah, there will be rivets :) At the top of the e-bay where it is attached to the payload tube which will house the main chute..The bottom of the e-bay is friction fitted to the lower tube...

Well the rain stopped and had some sun today! It even got out of the 50's today as well!:D So, on my trip to Lowes to get hardware for my Weasel I stopped by Wallyworld on the way home and grabbed a few cans of primer and paint..Have been thinking on the 'proper' color to paint the rocket that would be a good accent to the yellow vinyl decals..Well, I chose Kelly Green..After painting I waited a good 4 hours and applied the 'main' decals- still have a few more to put on and am formulating exactly where they are to be placed...So here is the picture of me and my painted almost ready for flight 38 Special, it NOW looks like a rocket! :D
38Special021small.jpg

Nice! :D

I got my MMT done tonight. I used 5 minute for the rings. I'll probably go to the store tomorrow and get something with a longer set time. Even though it is 5 minute, I still think that with the amount I put on, it will be plenty strong.

38specialmmt.jpg

Thanks!
Lookin good! Yeah, I went to 30 min for the mounting of the mmt as it gives you time after putting the bead in the tube to make adjustments of the assembly when you slide it in..my centering rings were also attached using 5 min epoxy..

Back