Blistered decals after using clear coat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff McWilliams

Reaction score
Help a noobie model builder out?

My Estes Nike Ajax model rocket was looking pretty good for my 2nd build. I used Microscale Liquid Decal Film to help put the decals on.

A day after applying decals, I used Krylon Fusion "Flat Clear" to put a clear coat on. I didn't want it so much to make the rocket show quality, but because the decals didn't seem to be very solidly adhered to the underlying white paint. I was looking for a good way to seal the decals onto the rocket surface. I have a 7 year old grandson. Flying rockets is one of the fun things we've started doing together.

So where did I go wrong? Any tips, even a pointer to a "Painting FAQ" would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Looks like you had a chemical reaction between the decal and the clear coat, needless to its always better to do a test before hand on a sample. You can TRY a hair dryer which may shrink the bubbles or possibly a tiny pin hole in them then press them back down. Just be careful with to much heat.

I've only used Krylon clears and have never had an issue. I don't think mine say fusion on them, just crystal clear non-yellowing UV formula. Also I will apply 2-3 dust coats and let it flash off before I spray on a cover coat. That helps prevent blistering and lifting of paint and decals. If you spray on a heavy coat it can soak right thru paint and decals and cause problems...

-Bob

AFAIK, Microscale Liquid Decal film is primarily used to hold old brittle decals together when applying to the model. It clear coats the decal and keeps it from breaking apart. Not needed for new decals.
Conjecture on my part, but it looks like the Microscale clear coat might have caused your Krylon clear coat to bead up instead of sheeting like it's supposed to.
I normally use just plain old water when applying decals. Wet the surface, slide the decal on, and position and blot out air bubbles and excess water. I only use decal solutions in special cases, like preventing silvering on textured or irregular surfaces.
As Bruiser mentioned, spray light, let dry, do that a couple of times before going heavier on the clear coat.
Good luck!

My first build earlier this spring was an Estes mini Honest John rocket. I had poor luck getting the decals onto the model without damaging some of them. They seemed to tear easily. The liquid decal film made the decals on the Nike Ajax rocket so much easier to work with. It gave me a lot more confidence fussing with them in order to get them placed properly.

Thanks

Ah, I see Jeff. You can try soaking the decals for a longer period in water. The unfortunate thing is most of the time the kit manufacturers only give you a general soak time. Bigger decals need longer, smaller less. The decal should freely slide off the backing. Don't force it.
Happy building!

Help a noobie model builder out?

My Estes Nike Ajax model rocket was looking pretty good for my 2nd build. I used Microscale Liquid Decal Film to help put the decals on.

A day after applying decals, I used Krylon Fusion "Flat Clear" to put a clear coat on. I didn't want it so much to make the rocket show quality, but because the decals didn't seem to be very solidly adhered to the underlying white paint. I was looking for a good way to seal the decals onto the rocket surface. I have a 7 year old grandson. Flying rockets is one of the fun things we've started doing together.

So where did I go wrong? Any tips, even a pointer to a "Painting FAQ" would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Most likely you had water that did not dry off from applying the decal, I had the exact same issue when it came to decals,also if you see that happening, DO NOT TRY TO ADJUST OR FLATTEN THE DECAL! This will result in the whole decal tearing. GL

I get something similar looking when the clear beads up on the decal surface, what I do then is lightly sand after thorough drying and reapply another coat of clear. or I just go slightly heavier with a second and sometimes third coat of clear usually fills in the spaces. if the decal itself s blistered though you really cant sand much or it will remove the raised portion.

Back