"Black Friday"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailmike

Reaction score
Does anybody know where the term "Black Friday" comes from? Everyone seems to be using it now. Wikipedia says it may refer to several historical events.

Thanks,
Mike

The stores do so good that day, that they get "in the black", meaning that they're earning a lot.

What Andy said was what I heard too. Oh, and I believe red days are when they don't do good.

And those of us who work retail DREAD the day and say its black Friday because of the impending feeling of doom...:rolleyes:

I hear you, Scott. This year, however, I'm not working in retail! :D

When I was working for Best Buy, management wanted the day referred to as 'Green Friday' for all the $$$ that would be spent in the store.

I believe the origin of "Black Friday" had to do with the stock market crash of 1929.

Target trying to enforce us to call it Green Friday. But its Black Friday! I told my HR if you ever work on the safefloor during that day, you would know why its called Black Friday lol

This is my 9th Black Friday at target, and its the first time I am not in electronics :(.

Wasen't it also a movie? 1970's or early 80s..
Some crazed outfit strap a bomb to the underside of the Goodyear blimp, and attempt to blow up the super bowl or something...

It's because the stores usually make enough money on that day alone that they wind up in the black for the year.

Wasen't it also a movie? 1970's or early 80s..
Some crazed outfit strap a bomb to the underside of the Goodyear blimp, and attempt to blow up the super bowl or something...

"Black Sunday" is the name of the movie. If you think about it "Black Friday" makes no sense. They stopped playing the Super Bowl on Friday--many years ago.

The income earned during the time period between black Friday and the end of the year is considered to all be profit. It's assumed that the money earned up until that point all gets spent on other costs. Obviously that's just a rough rule, but you get the idea.

I read the book in the mid '70's. It actually was called "Black Sunday." A middle eastern terrorist group co-ops the assistance of a PTSD'd Viet Nam vet blimp pilot to explode a nasty sharnel laden bomb over the Super Bowl. The book was better than the movie, of course.

For future reference, just do a quick internet search first, for example, wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Remember, no one wants to do your homework for you. If you can't take the time to research a topic, don't expect others to do it for you.

Simply typing "black friday" into GOOGLE would have found your answer without having to ask about it on a forum.

Same goes for rocketry topics. The archives on this site is an excellent resource, and anyone with a rocket question should research there before posting a question like, "how do I do Dual Deployement", for example.

For future reference, just do a quick internet search first, for example, wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Remember, no one wants to do your homework for you. If you can't take the time to research a topic, don't expect others to do it for you.

Simply typing "black friday" into GOOGLE would have found your answer without having to ask about it on a forum.

Same goes for rocketry topics. The archives on this site is an excellent resource, and anyone with a rocket question should research there before posting a question like, "how do I do Dual Deployement", for example.

It's almost as irritating as lecturing folks having an innocent conversation in the coffee house. I would suggest you simply join those conversations you find interesting and do not join those you do not. It is not against the guidleines to ask questions and have simple fun conversations.
Black friday does not look like anything I would want to do either as a seller or customer.
Cheers
fred

It's because the stores usually make enough money on that day alone that they wind up in the black for the year.

This is what I've heard as well, but I've also heard it put this way...

If you average sales vs. expenses for the whole year, this is the day the lines cross. Similar in concept to the so-called tax-freedom day that is usually in May, where you work up until then to pay taxes, then work after that for yourself. i.e. you sell up to today to pay for the inventory, then from today on you're making pure profit.

However, I've never really heard it referred to as "Black Friday" in the media until maybe the past 10 years, and then only sporadically until the past couple of years. This year it seems to have "crossed the chasm."

Well, Got through Black Friday. Just before I went on my lunch break, one young lady asked if I had the Spider Man scateboard. So I said, let me check. So I scan the location and saw some where in the backroom. I call back to ask for a pull, and asked the lady if she mind following me to the door so I can give her the item then. She agreed. On the walk I recall I was singing christmas songs (I was wearing my santa hat all day). When I finally got the scateboard, I gave it to her, and she asked how could I be in such a good mood on a day like this :p That really brigten my day :p

Black Friday apparently also causes death.

https://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6529135

Best part about the story is that the crazed shoppers refused to leave even after they were told an employee had died.

This day does bring the worst in people. It also brings the best in people too. I seen some very generous people today. For example. I got the last of the Lego Star Wars Star Destroyer sets from the back. many people waiting wanted more than one, however, seeing how I did not have enough for everyone that wanted one, they only took one. And I did not have to ask. And it was a good deal too. $100 lego set for $50. Wish I could of bougt one :)

On a sadder note, We had to call an ambulance because one of our cashiers was having heart troubles :(... this is a few days after another casheir had a heart attack.

Two more people died in a CA Toys R Us today. What these stores really need is riot police decked out in riot gear.

At this rate, this day may become known as Black Death Friday!!!:rolleyes:

I made sure I steered well away from stores today. There's absolutely nothing in those stores that I'd be willing to risk my life to get.;)

As I was heading to work this morning
I drove by our local SuperWally at about
5:45 AM, the parking lot was packed full
and the turning lane was all backed up
for people trying to get in...

You couldn't pay me enough to go there
even if they'd give everything out for free...

I never go shopping on this day....EVER. It's ridiculous all the insane fools on the road and in the store to buy stuff that they can buy any other time. And people being stampeded and killed to get into Toy R Us or Wally....gimme a break. I'd rather have a root canal!

My wife and I talked about this last night while driving home from the Thanksgiving festivities. We agreed that we still wouldn't go out in the morning to shop even if they were giving away money.

There's a limit of course...:D

This and boxing day... It's not worth it.. Maybe at 70%+ off, but even then..

It's a sport.. And i thought football, rugby and hockey were violent!

This and boxing day... It's not worth it.. Maybe at 70%+ off, but even then..

It's a sport.. And i thought football, rugby and hockey were violent!

Boxing day???

Lately Canadian retailers have gone to Boxing week and even Boxing Month.

I think I saw that "The Brick" has a Boxing Day sale on now!:surprised:

Latest posts

Back