Big Daddy nose cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeenRocketNerd

Reaction score
any idea where I might be able to find JUST the nose cone for this Bad Boy?? (short of ordering one from Estes?)

any vendor welcome to chime in on this... :D

Thanks

IIRC, Estes used this size NC and BT only because they had bought out some other model rocketry company that used this size. It is not a "standard" Estes size and does not show up in any other Estes kits. If Estes bought these supplies, they are very likely the sole supplier of these NCs now.....

Give Estes a call on their customer service line. I'll bet they would do a direct sale to you for one or two---

If you can wait until this weekend when I can check them out, I have a box full of nose cones that I think are this size.

Oops, better scratch that. I just rechecked the size of the Big Daddy, and it's a 3 inch tube, and I'm pretty much sure that the cones I got were 2.6 inchers (kinda Canadian Arrow/V2 things)

Sorry,

Alan

Originally posted by powderburner
IIRC, Estes used this size NC and BT only because they had bought out some other model rocketry company that used this size. It is not a "standard" Estes size and does not show up in any other Estes kits. If Estes bought these supplies, they are very likely the sole supplier of these NCs now.....

Give Estes a call on their customer service line. I'll bet they would do a direct sale to you for one or two---

that's what I was afraid of... I was going to order a set of V2 style nose and tail cones, and the quoted price was like $4.99/ each, nd $7.99 shipping :eek: Looks like it's either that, or order some LOC tubing, and a nose cone for a "clone" Thanks for the input guys.

I think the largest Estes V2 parts were designed around BT80 size (2.6 inch diam).
If you are really looking for Big Daddy-size stuff, that was bigger (3.0 inch diam).
The Big Daddy NC also had a higher fineness-ratio ogive (it was longer and pointier), not the same shape as the V2 NC

you are 100% right, powder... what I meant to say, was that I had contacted estes for those V2 parts for a totally different build several weeks ago (that's yet to take shape)... totally unrelated to the Big Daddy. I was simply noting that the shipping charge from Estes is a bit high for a hunk of hollow plastic ;) Thanks for checking, though!

I don't believe 'E' sells component parts any longer. Their Customer Service department was told to 'clean it out', and yours truly got five good sized boxes of goodies, and I suspect I was not the only one.

It helps to be on a first-name basis with the 'E' team!

They only stock kits prepped overseas. So much for the long-ago "Proud to be made in the U.S.A." tag-line!

Yes that does raise my blood pressure. Sorry, Barry, you don't win points with me on that one.

They must still sell components, as they gave me a price for some nc's two or so weeks ago. I didn't get them, b/c the shipping was more than the total of the nose/tail cones I wanted.

As far as the nose/tail cones for the BT-80 V2 are concerned - just pick up a Canadian Arrow (if you've got access to a Hobby Lobby or Michaels, you might be able to grab one at 40% off). Just cut the body tube shorter and you've got the BT-80 V2.

Greg

The BT-80 sized V-2 has a 7 5/8" body tube, while the Canadian Arrow has a 12" BT. Means you need to lose 4 3/8".

I'm glad to hear parts ARE still available! I had feared the worse when this collection of components showed up at work. But then, that was 7 years ago!

Originally posted by gpoehlein
As far as the nose/tail cones for the BT-80 V2 are concerned - just pick up a Canadian Arrow (if you've got access to a Hobby Lobby or Michaels, you might be able to grab one at 40% off). Just cut the body tube shorter and you've got the BT-80 V2.

Greg

*sigh* no Michaels, no hobby lobby... :( If I had access, I would. Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind, many times! :D It wouldn't really save me money to have someone near an hl or michaels pick one up, and mail one to me, either. I might just have to break down and buy a canadian arrow one of these days, if I can't find the nose/tail cones...

edit: Rocket_Al: you have a PM

BRS hobbies sells the boat tails and nose cones for the V2. If you need to order some other parts it will defray the shipping. Just a thought

Mark

TeenRocketNerd,

You started out this thread looking for a Big Daddy NC

The Big Daddy NC also had a higher fineness-ratio ogive (it was longer and pointier), not the same shape as the V2 NC

"As far as the nose/tail cones for the BT-80 V2 are concerned - just pick up a Canadian Arrow (if you've got access to a Hobby Lobby or Michaels, you might be able to grab one at 40% off). Just cut the body tube shorter and you've got the BT-80 V2.

Greg "

also, just an aside - if you convert an Estes Canadian Arrow to a V2 you can also take 1/2" off of the tip-chord of the CA fins and you will get a scale V2 fin profile. Doing this did not affect the stability of my Canadian-Arrow-converted-to-V2 rocket.

Originally posted by ounderfla69
BRS hobbies sells the boat tails and nose cones for the V2. If you need to order some other parts it will defray the shipping. Just a thought

Mark
**driving this thread further off topic: ** :D
I plan on ordering from him soon, but I checked and he only has the boattail listed as an item carried. I've got one more option, and if that falls short, I'll have to butcher a CA...

Try Apollo 11 in the UK £9.95 each - I think they are from Totally Tubular. He sells the thick wall 3" tubing to go with these cones too. Got some a while back, excellent service and excellent quality. I have plans for this and it isn't a standard Big Daddy clone - yes I will take photos and post when I get around to the build.

https://www.apo11o.co.uk/prices.htm?sig=Nose Cones - Plastic

Back