BALLS 24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
List updated, see Balls page or Tripoli forum Sept 7

Pre registers must be RECEIVED before Sept 19 or you will need to register on site

M

I'm considering driving down with Solarover13. Not flying anything, just filming, talking and generally being a nuisance as per usual. I just moved away to college, and this first month's given me a lot to process. Not 100% sure I'll go, but I'm hopeful.

Alex

I'm considering driving down with Solarover13. Not flying anything, just filming, talking and generally being a nuisance as per usual. I just moved away to college, and this first month's given me a lot to process. Not 100% sure I'll go, but I'm hopeful.

Alex

Grab Neil and drag him along. i went all the way to Hellfire I have yet to see him come to The Rock.

Alex
Come on, Alex! :)

We have a white board for frequencies at LCO.
Listing here does little as only about 3% of those attending post here.

M

More importantly, will we PLEASE have a working FM transmitter for the LCO, attached to an antenna and actually broadcasting this year on a known frequency???
PRETTY PLEASE!

More importantly, will we PLEASE have a working FM transmitter for the LCO, attached to an antenna and actually broadcasting this year on a known frequency???
PRETTY PLEASE!

Ditto!! Slightly ahead of porta potties on my list of Balls essentials (although FRS is fine).

Jim

I have a brand new FRS/GMRS radio setup that can accept an audio line level signal from the PA. The setup also has a PTT button that attaches directly to the PA microphone so that all the LCO has to do is press the button while speaking into the mic. I can set it up at the LCO station at BALLS if desired. It is based on the brand new MXT100 radio recently released by Midland. Here is a link. I reversed engineered the radio and added an audio input and remote PTT button.

Last edited:
I have a brand new FRS/GMRS radio setup that can accept an audio line level signal from the PA. The setup also has a PTT button that attaches directly to the PA microphone so that all the LCO has to do is press the button while speaking into the mic. I can set it up at the LCO station at BALLS if desired. It is based on the brand new MXT100 radio recently released by Midland. Here is a link. I reversed engineered the radio and added an audio input and remote PTT button.

Vern,
That would be great. Come see us when you get to the launch.
Mark

Great, thanks Vern! FM and FRS broadcasts would be much appreciated.

We are planning to use the FM transmitter Tripoli Gerlach used for LDRS retiring the AHPRA unit that never worked well despite many trying to fix it.

M

Posting here on behalf of Robert and Gloria of AMW. They WILL be at BALLS with a full stock of motors, kits, colored fiberglass, and more!

Payment sent and should be there by now... I "plan" to depart Boise on Wednesday, and be on the playa that night. ...or Thursday if I'm delayed. I have two minimum diameter projects (54 and 75) and part of the "Cute & Fuzzy Bunny" 6" MD Q project support crew. I will be departing Saturday evening to catch a flight in Boise early Sunday morning.

I hope all this recent rain hasn't turned the playa into a mud lake bed.

Did it rain here? Did I miss it? KBlack I have not heard of nor seen any rain recently. I will be headed out to the playa this Friday. I will check it out and report back the conditions found. So far were looking good on the weather. https://www.wunderground.com/US/NV/Gerlach.html?bannertypeclick=gizmotimetempbig
The winds have been gusting for the last few days here which could serve to rid the playa of loose material prior to our arrival.

I'm not sure that it has been raining on the Playa, but our recent rains in Boise have been coming from the southwest.... Perhaps the rain isn't developing until it crosses over the ID border.

Looks like XPRS will have good weather this weekend!

Mark - any updates on the registered list? Looks like it hasn't been revised since September 8. Just curious to see who else will be there...

I'm going for sure now. I'm not flying anything, but will have a camcorder and dslr running. If you want photos or video of your flight, come talk to me. Here's my YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Aksrockets/videos

If anyone wants another set of hands to help prep/get something on the pad, I'll be free.
Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Alex

I'm going for sure now. I'm not flying anything, but will have a camcorder and dslr running. If you want photos or video of your flight, come talk to me. Here's my YT channel:

If anyone wants another set of hands to help prep/get something on the pad, I'll be free.

Alex

I will be looking for some help toting the beast to the pad and if you could get some pictures with my cameras it would be a big help. In the interest of full disclosure this is the beast.
pike0207.jpg

Updated list on TRA Forum and BALLS website (as soon as Tom posts it)
Remember I must receive you registration no later than Sept 19, this Saturday, two days.

M

I'm not sure that it has been raining on the Playa, but our recent rains in Boise have been coming from the southwest.... Perhaps the rain isn't developing until it crosses over the ID border.
Where getting the winds from pressure changes and the darker clouds but no rain. The few drops we had the other night didn't even knock the dust off the cars.

Alex
Yes to both offers... Since Ryan the Camera Man can't make it this year, I think you have big shoes to fill! ;) Will talk soon - see you on the playa.

Updated list on TRA Forum and BALLS website (as soon as Tom posts it)
Remember I must receive you registration no later than Sept 19, this Saturday, two days.

M
Looks good Mark.

That's a 6-inch on the right.
A prototype for next year.
Sweet - are you and the team planning to burn all 11 (?) of those in a weekend? Wondering what you've got planned for that long 98mm as well...

Seeing as we're at it!
IMG_3785.jpg

Lineup so far - and mixing 1 more motor this weekend.

Back