BaddAzz Mini Missile Line

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm diggin' the Harpoon and Talos. Anything with that many Fins is awesome!!!
Plus, it will be a Hoot to hear all of the Stability Nazis, Nose Weight Haters and Performance Junkies cry in their Koolaid when someone is doing a Build Thread with one of those.:clap::clap::clap::clap:
I can't wait!:w:

Just posting to keep this thread near the top. Waiting for that message saying the first edition is ready for purchase.

Just posting to keep this thread near the top. Waiting for that message saying the first edition is ready for purchase.

Might not be anytime soon. I went to the BaddAzz Website and there has been a Death in the Family.:(
Prayers and Condolences sent.

Hi everyone it is old news. I don't know how to edit my site.
At any rate, The first edition will be the Nike Smoke.
I'll cut body tubes and fins tomorrow. Fins next week.
This was chosen by the most requests at my home field.
Great flier!

I have been working hard to get the full line tested.
My old Azz Knees are not helping. :/ So the work has been slow.
I refuse to offer a kit that is unstable and right now These are on the back burner for modification before kitting:

1. Scale BullPup, Flew like a schizophrenic cat.
2. Talos, flew like a schizophrenic cat on acid.
3. Harpoon, This one superised me to be honest.

All have nose weight as is, next I'll play with fin surface and length.
Perhaps the best I can do is a sport scale.

On a positive I may have a local field to test on.
I don't mind the drive to Orangeburg, but it will be nice to leave the shop and be flying in 10 minutes!!!!!!!

Final note, Rock Sim Lies!!!!! LOL

The flights were fun to watch. You are too hard on yourself.

3. Harpoon, This one superised me to be honest.

All have nose weight as is, next I'll play with fin surface and length.
Perhaps the best I can do is a sport scale.

On a positive I may have a local field to test on.
I don't mind the drive to Orangeburg, but it will be nice to leave the shop and be flying in 10 minutes!!!!!!!

Final note, Rock Sim Lies!!!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

Can't wait for the Talos to come down from the trip and get a little therapy. :D

Dave

Got to see these beauties in person yesterday. Fantastic kits, no doubt about it. Eric will get them dialed in, then look out!!!

I wish I could pre-order or get a notification for my awaited SAAB 172, seeing how quickly the Nike Smoke is selling out...

3. Harpoon, This one surprised me to be honest.

If number 2 "flew like a schizo cat on acid", but number 3 actually "surprised" you, that must have been SOME surprise!
Musta' been a pretty wild flight.

s6

Wait, you know my cat?

It actually really flew some what like a real harpoon missile. It took off and slammed into the surface. That is as designed.

All you have to ignore is the unstable flight in between.

I wish I could pre-order or get a notification for my awaited SAAB 172, seeing how quickly the Nike Smoke is selling out...

If that kit means that much to you I will reserve one for you now.
I will check my list of "to do's from the club to give you an idea on when.

If number 2 "flew like a schizo cat on acid", but number 3 actually "surprised" you, that must have been SOME surprise!
Musta' been a pretty wild flight.

s6

Like chuck just said. Thing is RS showed it over stable. Maybe I programed it for they enemy earth worm I can't remember, neither can the earthworm.:facepalm:

If that kit means that much to you I will reserve one for you now.
I will check my list of "to do's from the club to give you an idea on when.
OH MYY.
Also, fwiw, I'm the one who emailed you recently asking about the Defender MkII CP/CG. Build is close to done... gonna put more paint down this evening.

One of the neatest kits I've ever built. Nothing is designed typically, and it's wonderful.

Like chuck just said. Thing is RS showed it over stable. Maybe I programed it for they enemy earth worm I can't remember, neither can the earthworm.:facepalm:

I just shot coke from my nose. Poor earthworm.

I wonder if the issues with stability are because of the forward fins acting like wings. I know in model aircraft design the full frame CP is not as important as the main wing CP when going for stability. When designing those the important part is to make sure the CP of the main wing (1/4 chord) is slightly in front of the CG. If the main wing CP is behind the CG it will cause an elevator stall which will make the airplane fly like... well... a schizophrenic cat on acid :D If more than one set of fins are behind the CG I would try removing the rear fins in rocksim and replacing them with a mass object of the same mass to simulate a rear fin stall. If the new CP moves ahead of the CG I would bet that bird will have troubles flying straight.

Last edited:
I guess I shouldn't say it is not as important... it is just labeled differently. In aircraft there are still the same considerations for static margin, but what we call CP is labeled NP (neutral point). Each wing surface has its own CP calculation (AC, 1/4 chord for subsonic and 1/2 chord for supersonic) then and the forward wing CP must be ahead of the CG. The trouble here will be that we can normally ignore losing propellant mass during flight since it makes the rocket more stable. With multiple fins those CP vs NP calculations will need to be done with and without propellant or you may go unstable as your CG inches forward.

Last edited:
In rocksim/openrocket you can graph CP/CG relationship as a function of AoA. It's possible that it's >1cal stability at 0º, but rapidly shifts forward as angle of attack increases. Depending on launch guide length and how much wind you think is tolerable... IMO the CP/CG should be positive for up to 15º AoA.

Henry I plan to release them one by one no particular order.I would prefer not to take orders in advance. I Very Much Do appreciate your interest!!!

Here are some photos of the rockets with color, not all are finished , but they will fly this weekend.
Eric- Dang it-ya got me hooked! Me-the kid who never builds a kit! We lost our HPR waiver (hopefully that's temporary) but I've got very few smaller birds to fly so these fill the bill quite nicely! In post #56-the 5th pic (top row-far right, grey and black)-do you have a rocksim file and what's it called? I gonna need to order motors ( Oh-Jack 'retired' so no on site vendor for us either!) for the 24/60 case or maybe go to Cez (I have nothing in 24mm for them) and I want to be ready. Also-can I just order the pre-foiled Cowboy finz? Hope you got your souvenir knife and things are going well at that end of the shop.

Last edited:
Eric- Dang it-ya got me hooked! Me-the kid who never builds a kit! We lost our HPR waiver (hopefully that's temporary) but I've got very few smaller birds to fly so these fill the bill quite nicely! In post #56-the 5th pic (top row-far right, grey and black)-do you have a rocksim file and what's it called? I gonna need to order motors ( Oh-Jack 'retired' so no on site vendor for us either!) for the 24/60 case or maybe go to Cez (I have nothing in 24mm for them) and I want to be ready. Also-can I just order the pre-foiled Cowboy finz? Hope you got your souvenir knife and things are going well at that end of the shop.

Hi young man! That is the Hawk, Yes Rocksim will be available below. It flew great on the 24/40 -E18w-8! Black powder failed to light came in ballistic at Super Sod. Dug out Nosecone, all it did was take the paint off it.
No other damage to rocket, flew it again the next day. LOL

I don't have any pre foiled Space cowboy fin, it will be a bit on those.
All I have are airfoiled.

View attachment hawk24mm.rkt

Hey Eric.... he's on one of his "conspiracy theory" kicks again. Probably meant aluminum foiled fins to make a hat out of.

Aliens & the Goberment after you again F?

The Goberment is full of Aliens!
I keep my 6061 hat on!
Not at twilight , not needed during ionosphere flip!

Latest posts

Back