Awareness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As usual a fun and clever build thread from the Capt . Looking good. Will the nose cone be one color?

attachment.php

I couldn't resist. :tongue:

I like the aereoladynamic feature you added to the tip.

I find this whole build very... titillating.

Last edited:
I love the puns, guys, keep 'em coming! It's like we're all in 7th grade again. :lol:

I love the puns, guys, keep 'em coming! It's like we're all in 7th grade again. :lol:

Looking at the "cone" I realized, It must be much colder in California than I realized.😇

That tip is to break the shock cone before it gets to the actual nose cone while this thing is hitting mach, right? Right? Please tell me I'm right...

Loving the build thread so far!

That tip is to break the shock cone before it gets to the actual nose cone while this thing is hitting mach, right? Right? Please tell me I'm right...

Loving the build thread so far!

Of course. Everyone knows you need a mach transition splitter to prevent damage to a 1:1.33 elliptical nose cone during subsonic to transsonic flight.

Lemme guess, you're milking us for the puns, then you'll take the cream of the crop...

Udderly ridiculous

Last edited:
Design suggestion...

Paint the lower 12" blue... That way you'd have a...

the_blue_footed_booby_by_sketch_iz-d4wwixh.jpg

Last edited:
Of course. Everyone knows you need a mach transition splitter to prevent damage to a 1:1.33 elliptical nose cone during subsonic to transsonic flight.
Oh thank god, for a second there I thought it might've been a well, you know what it looks like:facepalm:
:lol::lol:

Seriously, Jim, this stuff is hilarious.
Nate

Last edited:
Make sure you pack the chute properly... We don't want a recovery problem that causes the whole project to go t**s up.

This was originally made to raise awareness, but the rest of us end up playing with it! ( . )( . )

Last edited:
Make sure you pack the chute properly... We don't want a recovery problem that causes the whole project to go t**s up.

Yeah, and we would't want a wardrobe malfunction with that parachute

Oh thank god, for a second there I thought it might've been a well, you know what it looks like:facepalm:
:lol::lol:

Seriously, Jim, this stuff is hilarious.
Nate

Get your mind out of the gutter. You punk kids are all alike. And get off my lawn!

I flooded half the coupler with CA to strengthen it. Using a guide I printed out, I marked the locations for the 5/16" holes in the baffle plate with a center punch. I installed the u-bolt, then slathered the nuts with epoxy to keep them from coming loose.

116_ca.jpg

117_baffle.jpg

118_baffle.jpg

119_baffle.jpg

120_baffle.jpg

121_baffle.jpg

122_baffle.jpg

123_baffle.jpg

124_baffle.jpg

Got the u-bolt attached to the bulkhead with 1/4" lock nuts. Using two pill bottles and four 1/4" nuts to set the depth, I epoxied the baffle plate into the coupler. And finally, I measured and marked the location of the forward rail button.

125_bulkhead.jpg

126_bulkhead.jpg

127_coupler.jpg

128_coupler.jpg

129_coupler.jpg

130_coupler.jpg

131_coupler.jpg

132_rail-button.jpg

133_coupler.jpg

I wrapped tape around the coupler to keep it from inserting too far when I epoxied it in. I had a Slimline retainer from Giant Leap that I had bought for another project, but never used. I decided to use it on this one. One thing I don't like about the Slimline retainers, though, is that they fit loose on cardboard motor tubes. So I decided to put the JB Weld on very thick...

134_coupler.jpg

135_coupler.jpg

136_retainer.jpg

137_retainer.jpg

138_retainer.jpg

139_jb-weld.jpg

140_jb-weld.jpg

141_jb-weld.jpg

142_jb-weld.jpg

And use a spent single use casing to keep it centered. I think it'll work. If not, I'll know during the first launch!

143_retainer.jpg

144_retainer.jpg

145_retainer.jpg

146_retainer.jpg

I sprayed on several coats of sanding sealer, sanding in between. Then sprayed on the usual Rusto 2X white primer. Finally, several coats of Rusto 2X pink. Once again, I'm amazed at how smooth the basswood turned out.

147_sanding-sealer.jpg

154_primer.jpg

155_primer.jpg

156_primer.jpg

157_pink.jpg

158_pink.jpg

159_pink.jpg

160_pink.jpg

161_pink.jpg

I sprayed on several coats of sanding sealer, sanding in between. Then sprayed on the usual Rusto 2X white primer. Finally, several coats of Rusto 2X pink. Once again, I'm amazed at how smooth the basswood turned out.
Basswood has a very fine grain structure so it's no surprise that it turned out smooth.

Back