Audiophiles get in here - I need new headphones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For headphone amps, I'm a fan of Schiit. The Asgard, if you go with unbalanced headphones, and the Jotunheim, if you go with balanced.

If you want to spend a bit less, the Magni for unbalanced and Magnius for balanced.

They also came out with the Midgard headphone amp, recently. Haven't heard that one, yet.

(I'm seriously debating buying a Skoll to replace my Mani 2...decisions, decisions...)

Justin,

I would really consider used. You can pick up a great pair of headphones for a fraction of the original cost. Because these are high-ticket items, most buyers tend to treat them very well. Many of the headphones you see in my photos I've purchased used, including in 'broken condition. I've also found most people who spend this kind of money don't seem to be mechanically inclined to fix anything :)

I wouldn't go the eBay route. Try the buy/sell/trade section head-fi or usaudiomart

I'd look at entry-level planar magnetic headphones from Hifiman, ZMF (a local Chicago company), and Audeze.

good example - Local Illinois sale https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650024132-audeze-lcd-2/ 60% off a very nice pair of headphones you will be happy with. Is there better, of course, but that's like asking for a bigger motor :>

As for an amp, I would recommend an integrated dac/amp you can grow with. Schiit's are good (Asagard 3 or higher) If you want something permanently connected to your computer. If you want something portable, you can look at something like an ifi at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCC6DBPS/ , or a Chord Mojo 2, which you should also find used. I have an old Chord Mojo 1 which you could convince me to part with

I've gone to the extreme on this stuff. The tube amp you see in the photos is an Auris Audio Headonia 2A3, driven by a Chord Dave DAC. Can I hear the difference? I think I can, but I also intellectually know diminishing returns on my investments kicked in a long time ago.

While I agree that audiophiles generally take good care of their gear, there's something about buying something people wear used that you can't really clean.

Koodies

If you don't like your virgin ears to share pads with previous owners, excellent, BRAND NEW pads for most major manufacturers are very inexpensive. Companies like Dektoni make replacements starting at $30 bucks.

For the record, I generally replace the earpads too, but its more because they just don't last long if you use them for extended periods of time.

For headphone amps, I'm a fan of Schiit. The Asgard, if you go with unbalanced headphones, and the Jotunheim, if you go with balanced.

If you want to spend a bit less, the Magni for unbalanced and Magnius for balanced.

They also came out with the Midgard headphone amp, recently. Haven't heard that one, yet.

(I'm seriously debating buying a Skoll to replace my Mani 2...decisions, decisions...)
See, it's like any other hobby. Once you get a foot in the door, it's an endless hallway of ways to spend time and money!

Tony

(just don't ask me how many different brands and models of altimeters I've owned)

If you don't like your virgin ears to share pads with previous owners
Just don't like the idea of sweat and "hair product" that's accumulated on the earpads and headband being transferred to my head.
You can usually buy new earpads, but not the headband.

I think Justin wants to just get some high quality comfortable, and great sounding headphones without going off the deep end. The HiFi Man 400 series are the way to go, thus leaving money for more rockets.

I think Justin wants to just get some high quality comfortable, and great sounding headphones without going off the deep end. The HiFi Man 400 series are the way to go, thus leaving money for more rockets.

I might have to try a pair, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - Purchased.
Now that you've purchased the headphones, listen to them for a bit with the stock cables. HiFiMan sent mine with two different cables. They recommended the ones that were NOT the silvery, thin ones. I ended up buying another cable set and they sound great. Nice upgrade for about $30.

now you can go over to HeadFi.com forum and really get into it....oops the link didn't get in this post try again

I am not an audiophile. I did get a set of Bose QuietComfort 25 headphones with noise cancelling used on eBay, and especially for air travel I love them. I can watch a movie on the plane and it’s like I a, in my own little world, the noise cancelling on a plane is great.

these are wired, I could have gotten bluetooth, BUT, both these AND the Bluetooth are batter powered. Difference is, if battery dies, these still work (without noise cancelling, but they work.). They also have a decent microphone for phone calls.

looks like a good used set runs around $70 on eBay.

for just simple listening and phone calls around the house, I have Stiive U8I blue tooth round the neck (so one piece) headphone, decent sound, decent phone, great battery life. No noise cancelling. You can get them for $23 on Amazon, $20 if you aren’t picky about color.

Also not an audiophile and I find that in the ear blue tooth earbuds are uncomfortable. Any recomendations for bone conducting headphones?

Also not an audiophile and I find that in the ear blue tooth earbuds are uncomfortable. Any recomendations for bone conducting headphones?
I had a set of Aftershokz. I really liked them (they are weird, but you get used to them fast.)

my problem was, you set them down for a moment, forget to put them back on, and you can’t find them. Not a fashion statement, but if you get then put a bright ribbon of some sort on them, they are really easy to lose.

Back